PDA

View Full Version : CKF Collins Food

winner69
22-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Collins Food - operator of KFC in Australia

Current shareprice half of the IPO price of last year

But aren't shareholders a miserable and demanding lot .... causing " in the eyes of the shareholders we have a results crisis." and making the boss giving up a quarters salary

I love it .... wonder where it will end up ..... watch this space

Collins Foods in “crisis management mode”, leaked email shows, with photocopying, stationery on notice

Wednesday, 22 February 2012 11:09
Madeleine Heffernan

The bad news continues for Collins Foods, the largest float of 2011, with a leaked memo directing staff to go into "crisis management" mode and cut spending on discretionary items such as stationery and photocopying.

Shares in Collins, which operates KFC and Sizzler restaurants, were down 4.25% this morning to $1.25, exactly half the price it listed at last year.

According to an email from chief executive officer Kevin Perkins seen by the Australian Financial Review, the company is in a "results crisis" in the eyes of shareholders.

"For the remaining 11 weeks of our fiscal year we move into crisis management mode," Perkins writes.

"Rest assured we do not have a financial crisis as we are very solvent, but in the eyes of the shareholders we have a results crisis."

In the email dated February 14, Perkins tells staff that "nothing is too small" to cut costs.

"Everything is up for review – look at items like unnecessary photocopying, double-sided documents, limit colour copying, turn off lights, don't waste stationery, etc."

"Think twice and spend once."

Other changes include a deferral on discretionary spending until May, senior staff working four days per week and using up leave on the fifth day, and staff business meals being consumed in company-operated stores, the report says.

Perkins will also forgo his fourth-quarter salary and there is a pay and hiring squeeze, according to the leaked email.

Collins was contacted for comment this morning but was not available prior to publication. It is due to update the market next week.

The company defied a weak initial public offering market by listing in August last year at $2.50 per share. Pacific Private Equity sold a 52% stake but management retained about 10% of the listed entity.

At the time, Perkins said Collins was "well positioned for future growth via new restaurant roll-outs and refurbishments, expansion of the product range and day parts as well as ongoing operating initiatives."

The money was earmarked for paying down debt facilities and to fund the acquisition from existing investors.

Shortly after listing, it cut its net profit guidance citing fragile consumer demand. Having originally flagged a full-year profit of $24.7 million, it flagged a pro forma net profit after tax of between $18 and $20 million.

Collins opened its first KFC restaurant in Queensland in 1969, and hundreds of KFC and Sizzler restaurants across Australia, as well as Asian operations.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/food-and-beverages/048358-collins-foods-in-crisis-management-mode-leaked-email-shows-with-photocopying-stationery-on-notice.html?utm_source=SmartCompany&utm_campaign=0a116259c8-Wednesday_22_February_201202_22_2012&utm_medium=email

Huang Chung
23-02-2012, 08:07 PM
In the CBD foodcourt near where I work, the is a KFC and a Maccas across from one another. Maccas probably gets the bulk of the customers until lunch, when KFC really starts to hit its straps.

Sizzlers is a great place to eat (others might disagree), but I understand is the area that's underperforming.

Lizard
23-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Personally, I'd be wary of a company with a manager who's attitude to avoiding upsetting investors was to get petty on the stationery and photocopying! Seems a very short term approach - not only risk reducing staff satisfaction and productivity, but for a very short-term and superficial goal...

...guess most investors would feel that way too. Not surprising then to see the shares get a bit of a dumping to $1.20.

Loved the terse response to the ASX price query:

The Company is aware of today's article on page 8 of the Australian Financial Review relating to the Company which comments on an internal memorandum focusing on the importance of cost savings which was distributed to certain staff.

Wonder if some of those certain staff being made to feel a little more uncertain then?

Halebop
23-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Personally, I'd be wary of a company with a manager who's attitude to avoiding upsetting investors was to get petty on the stationery and photocopying! Seems a very short term approach - not only risk reducing staff satisfaction and productivity, but for a very short-term and superficial goal...

Agreed. It is panicky BS. A 1% increase in sales or reduction FTE hours or food cost would be worth multiples of an approach that seems certain to demoralise while not achieving meaningful results. While all process improvement approaches can be as hit and miss as the leadership that sponsors them, anyone with only a cursory understanding of the various process disciplines should be cringing.

Joshuatree
24-04-2012, 01:46 PM
On 27/2/12 management update said "pro forma NPAT for 2012 will not vary materially from the bottom of the guidance range of $18-$20 million."

Mkt cap now re $106 million

Orbis have been steady buyers 3 or 4 bites and now hold re 19%. Tempting. Cheers

noodles
15-12-2013, 10:05 PM
The recent acquisitions of WA KFC's put this on quite low pe multiple compared to our own RBD.NZ. I'm using broker consensus figures here:

CKF FY15 eps .2314 price 1.82 pe= 7.85 div yield 6.08%
RBD FY15 eps .2197 price 2.80 pe=12.74 div yield 6.36%

I do hold CKF. However, this is just a recent purchase. Would be interested to know if there is any reasons to be wary.

Snoopy
16-12-2013, 10:43 AM
The recent acquisitions of WA KFC's put this on quite low pe multiple compared to our own RBD.NZ. I'm using broker consensus figures here:

CKF FY15 eps .2314 price 1.82 pe= 7.85 div yield 6.08%
RBD FY15 eps .2197 price 2.80 pe=12.74 div yield 6.36%

I do hold CKF. However, this is just a recent purchase. Would be interested to know if there is any reasons to be wary.

I looked at CKF when it floated and then the share price plunged Noodles.

I decided the Sizzler restaurant chain was probably a good idea that was past its prime. I could see a lot of capital expenditure on the horizon as CKF (an anagram of KFC I notice) modernize their franchised KFC stores. I am guessing that the latest WA KFC purchase has probably aggravated that position. As an NZ investor I couldn't access any Oz franking credits that might come with my dividends. IME the Oz market is very well served by their respective immigrant communities for all sorts of fresh, economical low cost takeaway food. IOW the American immigrant fast food chains have a much harder time of it over there than here in NZ.

I would say the the higher PE for RBD is justified because they have good growth prospects today by eliminating their Pizza Hut losses through the gradual sell down of satellite stores, and in the future with the build up of new business units via the Carls Junior franchise.
I decided that a diversification by selling down half my RBD shares and replacing those with CKF would be a diworsification. So I have stuck with my RBD shares.

The other problem with domestic market OZ shares from an NZ investor perspective is that as NZ interest rates rise faster than Oz interest rates our dollar will get stronger and that will devalue any Oz dollar domestic securities you have in NZ dollar terms.

However, as a very long term play where those currency issues may roll through I do see value in CKF. But at the moment it is staying on my watch list. I'm not buying. HTH

SNOOPY

noodles
16-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I looked at CKF when it floated and then the share price plunged Noodles.

I decided the Sizzler restaurant chain was probably a good idea that was past its prime. I could see a lot of capital expenditure on the horizon as CKF (an anagram of KFC I notice) modernize their franchised KFC stores. I am guessing that the latest WA KFC purchase has probably aggravated that position. As an NZ investor I couldn't access any Oz franking credits that might come with my dividends. IME the Oz market is very well served by their respective immigrant communities for all sorts of fresh, economical low cost takeaway food. IOW the American immigrant fast food chains have a much harder time of it over there than here in NZ.

I would say the the higher PE for RBD is justified because they have good growth prospects today by eliminating their Pizza Hut losses through the gradual sell down of satellite stores, and in the future with the build up of new business units via the Carls Junior franchise.
I decided that a diversification by selling down half my RBD shares and replacing those with CKF would be a diworsification. So I have stuck with my RBD shares.

The other problem with domestic market OZ shares from an NZ investor perspective is that as NZ interest rates rise faster than Oz interest rates our dollar will get stronger and that will devalue any Oz dollar domestic securities you have in NZ dollar terms.

However, as a very long term play where those currency issues may roll through I do see value in CKF. But at the moment it is staying on my watch list. I'm not buying. HTH

SNOOPY

Thanks Snoopy, Some points that I had not considered. And I learnt a new word, "diworsification".

Sizzler; Yes it is the problem child. However, it is small compared to their KFC outlets. Actually probably similar to RBD and Starbucks.

Investment in modernizing; Yes they are modernizing. They only pay 50% of profits as dividends. The WA Acquisition stores are also being modernized. This will be funded by op cash flows.

Carls junior is as much of a risk as it is an opportunity. RBD's last venture (star bucks) has been a failure. At least CKF are growing(by acquisition) what they know(KFC).

Regarding exchange rate and imputation credits. This argument applies to all dividend paying ASX shares. The NZX is just not big enough. If I ignored the ASX for this reason, I would have missed out on some great returns over the years. Most of my gains are from capital gains rather than dividends anyway. I also hedge the AUS/NZD to avoid currency losses.

noodles
27-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Broker views on the recent results
http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?type=dsp_newsitem&n=5BA8AD75-BC7D-A077-F8FC8C5DCD1EC524

DarkHorse
27-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks noodles- perfect timing! Just today I put in a couple of sell orders on some small holdings with a view to using the proceeds to buy CKF once orders go through. It's hard to find many fairly defensive companies with good yields and solid growth prospects at present. The brokers notes largely confirm this view, but do highlight some risks which will make me rethink the amount I invest.

noodles
07-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Bit old, but an interesting read

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/subpar-sizzler-leaves-stephen-copulos-mulling-collins-foods-takeover-20141007-10r9s9.html

rotweiller
14-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi Noodles.
I am with you on this one having purchased in November 2013 mainly for the dividend but hurrah have reached a $1 profit per share this week. Intend sticking with it at the moment.

Cheers

noodles
14-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Hi Noodles.
I am with you on this one having purchased in November 2013 mainly for the dividend but hurrah have reached a $1 profit per share this week. Intend sticking with it at the moment.

Cheers
Nice work. We must have bought around the same time.

Even with the recent price rise, the FY15/16 multiples(based on mean estimates) are not too challenging.
FY15 pe= 11.5
Fy16 pe= 10.2

DarkHorse
02-12-2015, 09:00 PM
 Net Profit After Tax up 33.6% to $14.3 million (Underlying HY15*: $10.7 million)
 Net operating cash flow up 43.4% to $23.8 million (HY15: $16.6 million) due to the growth in sales
and margin in the KFC business

From excellent HY 16 results out today. Resulting 50c jump to market cap of $409 million means it's now doubled this year :) Not bad for a pretty low risk business. Still looks reasonable value.