PDA

View Full Version : Stockbroker or hourly rate service?

mieese
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I am new to share trading. I have bought a few stocks and feel confident doing this myself, but I would like some professional advice say once every 6 months while I am still learning.

1. Is there any New Zealand company providing buy, sell, hold advice via a subscribed service or on an hourly rate basis?

2. Is there any New Zealand company that provides research I could subscribe to?

JBmurc
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
IMHO your find some really great advice right on here ..just ask away ...but don't expect others to do all the work i.e study of the companies reports etc ...the best why to get better at investing is through putting in the hours of study yourself ...many books on the subject

Of course you could pay for a NZ Analyst firm for a subscribed news letter etc....if you think that would help ...https://www.asbsecurities.co.nz/ good free service I use sometimes

Vaygor1
08-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Regarding the trading of shares, brokers only get income on brokerage. For that they need to broker a deal (ie no deal, no income). For that they need a buyer and a seller to meet in the middle (preferably a buyer and a seller who are both their clients as they get double that way).

If the broker that is advising you is the same one that will make a buck only if the deal goes through, then that is a direct conflict of interest... and unfortunately that is almost always the case for most members of Joe Public.

You will receive no compensation for a poor (or disastrous) outcome after following an advisors advice.

Take what you want out of the advice someone gives you and then go get some more. Learn. Do your own research. It's your money, not theirs.

This is my advice; both SparkyTheClown and JBmurc have offered you good advice too.

mieese
30-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I have subscribed to ASB securities and remain broker-less.

noodles
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Sparky,

I like the YPEG formula. I think it is worth mentioning that a result < 1 is good value.

noodles
06-02-2013, 10:13 PM
You might also try out these two things.

1. Apply Sparky's back of the envelope intrinsic value formula of (2 x avg growth rate in earnings over 5 years x earnings per share)

Why do you use 2 times average growth. It that an arbitrary value or is there some logic behind it?

iced
16-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Just starting my portfolio similar to OP. Any opinions on using a broker compared with using a bank when first starting (looking to invest maybe 15k and build on that)? I'm under the impression due to my size I might be better off starting with a bank.

I'm not sure how much advice/research I'd receive from a broker for such small commission...

Jay
16-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I would think better off doing the research yourself (including this site) and using an online broker to start with.