PDA

View Full Version : Gas and oil investing

NZSilver
17-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi, there seems to be a lot of smaller oil and gas companies out there,

I believe demand for fossil fuels will continue to increase even when other minerals may be more cyclical. Therefore it should be a good investment oppurtunity.

I have been having a good look through the threads but there is just so much info out there, I thought it would be good to try and condese it down and look at current companies.

Ideally I would like to invest in a couple of companies in the oil and gas buisness that are on the cheap side, also if they are either; producing and exploring, or exploring and are likely to be producing in the near future (1-2 years) + good management (not wasting money in very high risk situations).

o-yeh and a ten-bagger

Prepared for quite a bit of risk, can some fellow investors please suggest some good companies I should take a closer look at.

Thanks.

shasta
17-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi there NZSilver. Couple of companies u might wana look into.
For oil I like OEL, for unconventional gas (plus oil) BRU/NSE look good. A company that doesn't get much coverage on ST but that I like its potential is MRM. All worth investigating further and there threads

Corporate
17-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I'd check out

OEL, ROC, BRU, MEO, NSE, SXY, and AJQ

soulman
17-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd check out

OEL, ROC, BRU, MEO, NSE, SXY, and AJQ

Also don't forget GLL, BAS, OBL, TEX and AQO.

I hold all except OBL. GLL looks like running soon with buyers creeping up today.

Crypto Crude
18-10-2012, 12:27 AM
There is a new era of aussie oil stocks that are going to explode over the next decade... The small size of these juniors with big gas deposits makes extremely leveraged positions... 10 baggers is the new 1 bagger... like always, it is important to pick the best companies, with the right assets and having the patience to wait on them to unfold...
:cool:
.^sc

Crypto Crude
18-10-2012, 12:29 AM
NWE, KEY, AQO, OGY, TTE, NSE, BRU, OXX... I would bet money a position in these stocks will return 1000% portfolio return over the next 5 years...

ELYOB
18-10-2012, 01:12 AM
SPS quietly happening , crew on the ground in Russia as I type this hype . [3 projects ; target 70mmbbloe]

CUE dont ignore ; cheap as! Next 18 months could see huge up direction of SP .

OGY : one of the future x baggers ; Its unconventional patch is different to the rest in that it is very rich in liquids . May take awhile to get there

Corporate
18-10-2012, 06:54 AM
SPS quietly happening , crew on the ground in Russia as I type this hype . [3 projects ; target 70mmbbloe]

CUE dont ignore ; cheap as! Next 18 months could see huge up direction of SP .

OGY : one of the future x baggers ; Its unconventional patch is different to the rest in that it is very rich in liquids . May take awhile to get there

Ops I forgot about CUE. I've been quietly accumulating a position. Easy money in my books :-)

NZSilver
18-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

upside_umop
18-10-2012, 08:03 AM
It would pay to get Bermuda's input - arguably one of the best oil and gas investors on here.

My advice would be to understand what you're investing in and space out your period of investment (rather than dumping it into stocks in one day!)

People will argue shale gas is the way to go (which I'm mainly in) but this is high risk in Australia as it's yet to be seen if it will be commercial. It no doubt will be in some basins, but maybe not all....

Agree with Corp/ELYOB to give CUE a look. It's a conventional oiler with good cashflow and some appraisal activity. You should be able to find a thread on each stock mentioned in the search above...and if there's not one - start one up!

JBmurc
18-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I Agree that Oil & Gas investments to be one of the more safer sectors to have ones funds in during the likes of the GFC sell-offs ...esp ones with good cash balances low debt's solid earnings as to why going into the end of the year I'd like to be holding more ROC & TAP and less spec shale plays running out of cash like SSN ...also like low cost gold/silver producers to be held in my longer term portfolio

As the US is heading towards a fiscal cliff ---http://bonds.about.com/od/Issues-in-the-News/a/What-Is-The-Fiscal-Cliff.htm

could well be fixed ...

skeet
18-10-2012, 10:52 AM
BKP - Georgina Basin in the NT. They have Statoil onboard, big player with big bucks.

People will always have there favourites O&G company, so does pay to shop round and take your time there is alot of companies out there!