PDA

View Full Version : Laptop internet problem 1 website only being blocked

Jay
19-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Some time in the last month or so access to asb and asb securties websites became slow and the a week or so ago now refuses to connect -now get the internet connection lost page, however any other website I try works fine. This is over a wireless connection.
The websites work fine from the main PC - all go thru the same Modem/router

Cannot see anything in my antivirus programme (AVG) or windows firewall that I can find - though not 100% sure about the firewall, but nothing obvious I could see.

I have tried to ping the website and the result is something like pinging 210.xx.xx.xx
then reports 3 out 4 data packets lost listing another ip address number to the one above.

ping the website from the main PC I get the same result

Have looked at the "hosts" file - nothing there

The only programmes I have added or updated would be AVG itself (On both Laptop and pc) and CCleaner again both computers running the same versions
Would using system restore maybe answer??
or could it be in the registry somewhere??

CJ
19-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Obvioulsy it is the Direct Broking virus

No serious answers sorry.

fungus pudding
19-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Some time in the last month or so access to asb and asb securties websites became slow and the a week or so ago now refuses to connect -now get the internet connection lost page, however any other website I try works fine. This is over a wireless connection.
The websites work fine from the main PC - all go thru the same Modem/router

Cannot see anything in my antivirus programme (AVG) or windows firewall that I can find - though not 100% sure about the firewall, but nothing obvious I could see.

I have tried to ping the website and the result is something like pinging 210.xx.xx.xx
then reports 3 out 4 data packets lost listing another ip address number to the one above.

ping the website from the main PC I get the same result

Have looked at the "hosts" file - nothing there

The only programmes I have added or updated would be AVG itself (On both Laptop and pc) and CCleaner again both computers running the same versions
Would using system restore maybe answer??
or could it be in the registry somewhere??

Try a different browser. I had a couple of sites that I couldn't access with IE but can with Chrome - and vice versa.
That's on one computer - 3 in the house and the other 2 are fine.

Jay
19-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks FP

Sorry forgot to mention that I have tried Chrome and Safari - got to ASB securities once onSafari then would not connect again, Chrome no luck with either

P.S. this is all on a Windows machine - not an iPutanameinhereofanythinganditwillprobalysellbythe millions device!

Anonymous
19-11-2012, 01:55 PM
If no one on here can help you I would try posting on PressF1 for some helpful kiwi tech advice.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?4-PressF1

POSSUM THE CAT
19-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Just a thought Check for browser updates have you got all the latest updates

Jay
19-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks Anon, didn't think of that, will give that a go as well

karen1
20-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Jay,

To me it sounds weird, but try clearing browsing history, in particular cookies. Once had a similar problem with ASB Secs, and looking for an answer came up with a message to do just that, and it worked.

Also, I used AVG for years, until a virus got through it. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials, which my very savvy computer technician recommended. As he said, Microsoft have produced it to protect their products. Clean and easy to use.

fungus pudding
20-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi Jay,

To me it sounds weird, but try clearing browsing history, in particular cookies. Once had a similar problem with ASB Secs, and looking for an answer came up with a message to do just that, and it worked.

Also, I used AVG for years, until a virus got through it. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials, which my very savvy computer technician recommended. As he said, Microsoft have produed it to protect their products. Clean and easy to use.

I'll second your comments on Microsoft Security Essentials.

Jay
20-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Guys - may try MSE

Aslo have tried the pcworld f1 forum site and got similar answers

However it is now loading slowly, well as at last night after updating a couple of programes and deleting some old versions of others, but not sure this made any difference, as I mentioned it started by being slow then refused to load now back to slow again

But practically same set up on both pc and laptop so not sure why
Will look to change to MSE on both

Karen1 - have used CCleaner to clean up cookies etc, there are about 6 that I keep (Including one for this site) asb is not on that list.

Last resort is to reinstall everything, but don't really want to do that, System restore may get round this - have not tried as yet

karen1
20-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I cleared ALL cookies, didn't stop to pick and choose! Also, on website address bar, do you have a blue circle with a bar through it on right hand end? Something to do with tracking protection?? Click on that if you see it, try turning tracking protection off.

Disclaimer: this advice comes from one who doesn't know enough about the vagaries of the internet!

Jay
20-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes may clear everything - no blue circle that I remember seeing
I think ASB deletes its cookie when you sign out, I know it will not allow your sign on and password to be "remembered"