PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle property investment

golden city
27-12-2012, 12:15 PM
at the moment , auckland property market are crazy,has any one has experience of buying lifestyle block property, i am thinking of buying one., so need some advice

fungus pudding
27-12-2012, 02:09 PM
at the moment , auckland property market are crazy,has any one has experience of buying lifestyle block property, i am thinking of buying one., so need some advice

'Lifestyle' is a euphemism for hard work, requiring never-ending expenditure in with no hope of profit. Exactly the same applies to 'character' homes.

amalgam
27-12-2012, 02:28 PM
'Lifestyle' is a euphemism for hard work, requiring never-ending expenditure in with no hope of profit. Exactly the same applies to 'character' homes.

We had 10 years on a lifestyle? property with a character home--I think it is better called a life- sentance. There is a great feeling when you sell

golden city
27-12-2012, 03:22 PM
i was thinking buying somewhere close.., for example oratia..or henderson valley..,which is very handy.., and it is easier to develop in the future

fungus pudding
27-12-2012, 03:33 PM
i was thinking buying somewhere close.., for example oratia..or henderson valley..,which is very handy.., and it is easier to develop in the future

Wherever yoiu buy will be close to something.

duncan macgregor
27-12-2012, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=golden city;388691]i was thinking buying somewhere close.., for example oratia..or henderson valley..,which is very handy.., and it is easier to develop in the future[/QUOTE ] I did that about twenty years ago near Helensville which at that time was a cheap area. Dont buy with the intention of selling produce off the land unless you are willing to work for nothing. Buy with the intention of a huge capital gain with the ever expanding city. I cut gorse planted pines and developed an orchard and gardens ponds etc in my spare time which kept me amused along the way. I sold the property at about exactly four times what it cost me to buy and develop over roughly sixteen years. It was a great life style for the family who had horses etc, etc,which would have cost a fortune if we had been city dwellers. Would I do it again?,was it worth It?,definately yes. Needless to say being a builder I had my own removable show home on the site, and sunk a bore down for water for the house and gardens. I was silly enough to go back and look it over only to find the place looked like a rubbish dump. If you develop a property dont make the mistake of going back just take their money and go. Macdunk

golden city
27-12-2012, 04:14 PM
i am thinking to better use of the land.., to do vegetable farms.., plus capital gain in the future..

golden city
27-12-2012, 04:14 PM
so you get your cashflow going...and future potentials.., hard work in the beggining of course

golden city
27-12-2012, 05:30 PM
yes i am .., i am looking for something 10 acres, thinking growing tomatoes , have try it out in my back yard.., it works quite good, that got me the idea of make it big.., beside growing., my main interest is capital gain.., which i have done on share and properties

duncan macgregor
27-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I planted six hundred lemon trees thought that would be a good all year round crop in my retirement. Ended up buying a new chain for the chain saw and cut them all out. My advice would be go to the market and get an education before you do anything. Its a Mafia style system that will deeply shock you. If you think its an open auction like i did then you are in for a shock. Tomatoes grown outdoors in the Auckland region is a big waste of time, money, and effort. I had two big shade houses and grew beans . I worked it all out that my return was $5 an hour. Dont waste your time growng veges for sale develop the property into a beautiful garden type setting like I did and flog it off to some rich retiring farmer that wants to retire. Macdunk

troyvdh
27-12-2012, 06:31 PM
...dear belg...and dunc....reality at last....you should be paid .....we kiwis trade houses...every 7 years on average....lifestyle blocks..every 2 years...at least here in canterbury...but at end of the day....folk will continue to indulge in there dreams ....is it a good thing/bad thing or just life,.....listening to RNZ...it appears that it is still a given fact 15 % of both commercial/residental properties being built are potentially "leaky".....still.....

craic
27-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Bought ten acres 20 years ago for $123,000 on two titles with a small dilapidated house. After 2 years bought a house in town for $27,000 and shifted it onto the second half of the ten acres (total cost of house, transport, plumbing etc about $75,000.) sold the first 5 acres and house for $150,000 about 15 years ago after renting it out for some time - got sick of tenants.The property is very steep hillside with lots of mature trees. Forget about the profit - it keeps me fit in my geriatric years and I sell quite a few cord of firewood every winter. Views over the ocean are greatand neighbours are out of sight and mind. Fifteen minutes from town.

golden city
28-12-2012, 10:42 AM
what is in my mind is growing is not the main goal to make money, it is just a survive mode to make some cash flow.., the main object is to wait and see if council will rezoning the area to make it residential use of the land.., has any one has experience of that sort of lucks?

golden city
28-12-2012, 10:44 AM
auckland need many more houses to make up of the shortage in the future.., somehow they have to open up land to build , if buy one in a handy position.., it might well worth a shot

Major von Tempsky
28-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Buy an el cheapo small Auck apartment (sposed to be some great bargains at the mo) then use it as a base when u r up there.

craic
29-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Who goes to Auckland willingly?

percy
29-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Who goes to Auckland willingly?

I do.Love the place.!!!!!

golden city
29-12-2012, 08:58 AM
buying apartment is not my taste., what makes house prices going up.., is the real thing.., the piece of land.., apartment make lots of uncertainty in the future.about the corporate rates.., it make me feel even i am the owner., but i don't have control of it.., it feels like i am worst than renting.., because if i rent a house..rent goes up..i can move to another places., but when corporate rocket, no body even buy my apartment

skid
29-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I guess the logical thing to do would be to do some research on where is most likely to be the next area for expansion that you can afford and hopefully like as well.
You could check the Auckland property investors forum for more info-there are lots in the know there.

troyvdh
29-12-2012, 10:08 PM
craic...you are spot on....the concentration of NZs in that place is seen as positive by so many...it is utterly so uncomprehensible it defies belief....what is NZ known for....????...it sure as hell is not that place....what about space...leisure....cost of a dwelling...cost of travel/time....emphasis on family....work/occupation success be the "answer"...I mean if folk think that Auckland is the answer...they would probably be happier in sydney...or what ever....these cities are all so similar...I have seen a lot off them....I could go on.... in my mind one could do a lot worse and walk along the beach front of Lake Hawea/Wanaka....often alone..in fact....I mean what is life about...troy

fungus pudding
30-12-2012, 09:49 AM
craic...you are spot on....the concentration of NZs in that place is seen as positive by so many...it is utterly so uncomprehensible it defies belief....what is NZ known for....????...it sure as hell is not that place....what about space...leisure....cost of a dwelling...cost of travel/time....emphasis on family....work/occupation success be the "answer"...I mean if folk think that Auckland is the answer...they would probably be happier in sydney...or what ever....these cities are all so similar...I have seen a lot off them....I could go on.... in my mind one could do a lot worse and walk along the beach front of Lake Hawea/Wanaka....often alone..in fact....I mean what is life about...troy

It's not about what appeals to you. It's self evident that Auckland is the most popular part of NZ, and while it doesn't appeal to me either, neither does the wind of lake Wanaka, and more-so Hawea, not to mention Central Otago winters. But world-wide, people are attracted to where large numbers of people are. Investing is about objectivity.

skid
30-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree.
Golden Temple has stated his main objective is capital gain.
That means choosing somewhere that is going to capture,and benefit from the urban sprawl that will result from the fact that Auckland has a housing shortage.
once he has bought,grown a few tomatoes,and eventually sold to some developer, with a nice profit[all going well]he can take his dosh and go walk by any windy lake he wants.
Theres no reason this cant be a vehicle to another dream--of course its easier said than done ,but gotta start somewhere and a clear goal is obviously good.

skid
30-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Having said that,Id can the apartment idea unless i absolutely had to be close to the city for some high paying job,which doesnt sound like GT's case if hes thinking to improve and grow some vegies.

troyvdh
30-12-2012, 08:05 PM
dear fungus...you are not wrong....investing is/should be totally objective....one point I will make ... what a joy (for me anyway) it is in life to experience weather....surely that it is one of the attractions/benefits/joys of nz....is weather....the fact that humans are attracted to where most of us are...is well.... sad.....and a fact...I cannot for the life of me imagine living on the gold coast....for a desent part of the year outside activity ceases because its to hot....I could go on...but ultimately you are correct...

golden city
31-12-2012, 10:21 AM
auckland is growing rapidly.., attracting lots of rich asian as a settlement distination for them..,the way they buying property is incredible,for us we think nz houses is over price.., but after i talked to them.., it changed my mind.., for a house worth one million dollar in auckland., they told me it is so cheap.., they are keen to buy 3 or 4..just leave there

ari
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Can highly recommend it, now living the good life on 7.5 acres. DIY very important from building, fencing, pumps, drainage, spraying to engine maintenance to save on the outgoings. 2 horses, 7 alpaca and 1 dog later, just should have done it 20 years sooner. And as for return.....the kids should do very nicely!

golden city
03-01-2013, 08:52 AM
thanks ari..., i love DIY,i am looking to build a plastic house for the vegetables.., any idea..any one., that do i have to apply from the council?

fungus pudding
03-01-2013, 08:55 AM
thanks ari..., i love DIY,i am looking to build a plastic house for the vegetables.., any idea..any one., that do i have to apply from the council?

That depends on what you want to build. Why not just ask the council?

duncan macgregor
03-01-2013, 10:03 AM
thanks ari..., i love DIY,i am looking to build a plastic house for the vegetables.., any idea..any one., that do i have to apply from the council?It depends on the area you buy into. I built two big shade houses no permit required or resource consents. Anything with a roof that you can stand on definately needs a permit. Water would be your big concern. I sank a deep water well, which cost about $14000 plus $640 for compliace, which you pay and dont get it back if they say no. Anything you add to the property within reason will show a greater return when you sell. I planted beans in both shade houses had them growing up on fish netting which worked out really well. I worked it out I made a whole $5 an hour doing that excercise, when at that time I charged my time out at $40 an hour in the building game. I made a lot of money when I on sold the property so my advise would be do it the capital gain is much better than buying a house in town. Macdunk

golden city
03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
i am talking around area on west auckland.., thinking building couple shape house..for the tomatoes..or veges

golden city
03-01-2013, 10:50 AM
i was thiking make a big pond there.., does ponds need applying.., because there is a small streams on the site...

duncan macgregor
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
i was thiking make a big pond there.., does ponds need applying.., because there is a small streams on the site... Being chinese gives you an advantage. I had a chinese client who wanted to build a self contained two bedroom granny flat behind his house in east Auckland. There was a large tree right in that spot. He asked me if he required permission from the council to have it cut down. I said if you go to the council it will cost you at least $600 for consent and they in all probability will say no. I asked all the immediate neighbours if they objected and told them they could have the cut up fire wood. I told my client if it all goes wrong you being a chinaman know nothing about anything, and pretend you hardly understand english. It all went well, no tree, his parents happy with their little house, neighbours happy the tree is gone. You have a great advantage my friend only go to the council as when you build things or drill wells. Macdunk

golden city
04-01-2013, 10:28 AM
yes i think so.i had the experience before ..,i bought a house with subdivided...there is a big tree in front., i just cut.it.., no body say anything., later i found out i need council permit.., but council came..say don't do it next time i said thank you

Bixbite
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Hi golden city,
You might be interested to read that: -

Refer to the Demographic Report Card (Auckland Council): -

Waitakere ranges (incl Oratia and Henderson valley): - pop 50,400 (2011) could be home to 61,100 residents by 2031 (21.2%)
(10,700 residents – assume 3 people for a home, it would be only 3,566 houses blocks.)

Henderson-Massey: - pop 113,900 (2011) could be home to 143,900 residents by 2031 (26.3%)

Whau Local Board (incl New Lynn): - pop 78,800 (2011) could be home to 93,300 residents by 2031 (18.4%)

Howick Local Board (incl Flat Bush): - pop 132,700 (2011) could be home to 196,800 residents by 2031 (48.3%)

Otara-Papatoetoe Local Board: - pop 83,600 (2011) could be home to 123,300 residents by 2031 (47.5%)

Bixbite

winner69
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
golden city ..... instead of growing tomatoes on your lifestyle block why not turn it into a campervan park

keep on eye on your thl investment at the same time

golden city
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
campervan not my long term interest my dear.., it is a short term investment only

golden city
11-04-2014, 03:05 PM
any one knows..do we need get consent to have grazing cow on the lifeblocks?

ari
11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
any one knows..do we need get consent to have grazing cow on the lifeblocks?
This excellent site will answer most of your questions.....
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/index.php