PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload.co.nz

ratkin
20-01-2013, 04:57 PM
After a so-far successful launch of his new file storage website Mega.co.nz this morning Kim Dotcom says he wants to list Mega on the New Zealand sharemarket and contribute to building a second undersea internet cable.

That should be a traders delight should it ever list

ratkin
20-01-2013, 08:32 PM
The self-styled Internet entrepreneur’s previous conviction for computer fraud didn’t stop him from announcing a spurious rescue effort for the online retailer that temporarily goosed the stock — and gave him the chance to sell his shares at a profit of $1.5 million. Worse, when it came time for sentencing, Schmitz got a slap on the wrist:

He should fit in well

Xerof
20-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Hard to see Dotcom getting a prospectus past the FMA and NZX authorities given his history

Brian Henry did.......sanctioned by Weldon, who now sits on the board

and we both own shares in it......:cool:

peat
20-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Just letting you all know the new site is actually https://mega.co.nz looks legit!! :sneaky2:

Hoop
20-01-2013, 11:11 PM
K Dotcom had a cheap shot at Southern Cross Cables Ltd too.
oh... by the way its 50.1% owned by Telecom and the company is registered in Bermuda.;):sneaky2:

biker
22-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Just letting you all know the new site is actually https://mega.co.nz looks legit!! :sneaky2:

Can't access it from my iPad. Later he says. What the??

bucko
22-01-2013, 03:07 PM
plus all the news sources in the US have been reporting Hollywood have just been waiting for the site to launch before they investigate how they can sue him again.

and after the botched job the FBI did the first time i feel pretty sure they will try again at some stage.....at the very most i'd probably buy in when it lsits and sell after a month or so...too high risk for something long term i think

peat
22-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Can't access it from my iPad. Later he says. What the??

site is overloaded at present , supposedly those racks of servers at Cogent in Germany need rebooting every hour lol

While I agree with the comments about risk associated with Kim, dont forget how MUCH money the dude made in a short space of time. Gotta give him some credit for skills in the running a business department.

Personally tho, I think he's just a modern day pirate hiding behind laws that are unable to apportion the blame onto the facilitator.

Dej
22-01-2013, 05:02 PM
And that's exactly how he made it and why he made so much, it was all illegally. He will not survive in the legal world.

I have some sort of a good feeling towards the man, hes good at what he does. Doesn't justify what he does, but having grown up in the generation of internet piracy myself, I think a few people may not realize the extent of it, and how it is impossible to in force any sort of laws to stop it. The reality is, if you want something, you can get it. He is by far not the only one doing it, he is just one of the ones making profit from it.

Again, and I want to make this clear, I am not supporting what he does. Just saying hes a clever bugger for what he has done!

ratkin
22-01-2013, 07:20 PM
How exactly does the site work? I see you can upload files to "the cloud" but where does the file sharing part come into it?

Dej
23-01-2013, 09:25 AM
How exactly does the site work? I see you can upload files to "the cloud" but where does the file sharing part come into it?

It is then searchable and you are able to download it yourself, even if it wasnt you file in the first place. But this is not the only website that dioes this, to name a few you have hulkshare,mediafire and rapidshare. Rapidshare being one of the most used websites, you dont see them getting prosecuted?

Interesting thoughts is all.

Dej
23-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Kim Dotcom isn't the main problem in New Zealand, its all the damns cats!

:eek2:

CJ
23-01-2013, 09:49 AM
It is then searchable and you are able to download it yourself, even if it wasnt you file in the first place. But this is not the only website that dioes this, to name a few you have hulkshare,mediafire and rapidshare. Rapidshare being one of the most used websites, you dont see them getting prosecuted?

Interesting thoughts is all.Megaupload was about sharing - the real issue was that he incentivised people to uplaod files that would get lots of views (ie. pirated movies) which not all sites do.

Mega.co.nz is all about private info storage, at least at this stage though you can share by sharing your encription key.

Re IPO - I would want to see some other big names on the register first, and them having paid real cash for those investments. Otherwise, risk it is just a pump an dump or he uses his position to ensure his lifestyle is financed to your detriment.

CJ
23-01-2013, 09:54 AM
The new site has failed to live up to expectations due to server demand. This is the problem with an ego manic like Dotcom. Most services like this would have launched in invite only Beta - they get everyones details upfront (from a signin screen) but only allow them in when they know they can handle it (ie drip feed in to ensure server loads are balanced and they can ensure it is scaling correctly).

People who have access then get invites they can hand out to their friends ensuring it goes viral - that is how Gmail started (you got 100 invites to hand out and you couldn't get in without an invite).

ratkin
23-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Kim Dotcom isn't the main problem in New Zealand, its all the damns cats!

:eek2:

Whats happened to Gareth Morgan recently? interfering in the training of the players at the pheonix (thinks hes Roman Abramovich) Now hes seek attention seeking by advocating killing cats. Making himself look a bigger idiot by the day

trackers
23-01-2013, 05:42 PM

Interesting thoughts is all.

Nope. Sharable, yes.

Pretty poor start, must have bought suuuuper cheap hosting. The interface is pretty impressive though

_Michael
23-01-2013, 06:33 PM
I'd buy some megaupload.

Ever tried renting a movie online in NZ?

I have an apple TV and its a joke. Quickflix is not better.

First their catalogues lack most movies you would want to watch because local home entertainment distributors are busy protecting video sales

Meanwhile for lack of better options people just go to Pirate bay. (Note to studios, you are shrinking the pie when you could be growing the pie)

The sooner someone gives the world a legitimate rich/deep on-line catalogue of movie rentals the better. It took Steve Jobs to start grow the pie for music again who will do it for movies???

Dej
23-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Nope. Sharable, yes.

Pretty poor start, must have bought suuuuper cheap hosting. The interface is pretty impressive though

I didnt mean it was directly searchable from the website.

Instead, it can still be posted all over the internet by its users. To stop this though they have posted this 'encryption key' so only the people with the key can access the files. But, this doesnt stop people from uploading the latest movie, say Gangster Squad to mega.co.nz, and then going onto a forum and posting the file URL and its encryption key.

Piracy is a war you will never win IMHO, the music industry is slowly coming around to the idea and releasing albums as free downloads and then making most their income from concerts, hence the influx of old/big bands coming to New Zealand. Its now actually worth their while coming here. Im not complaining about that one. The movie industry is different though. Downloading and watching the movie means the company gets no money for the making of the movie. Less profit = lower budget = worse films (in some cases). Still, movies (to me at least) are so much better on the big screen. Its the atmosphere in the movie theatre they should concentrate on. Anyways, I digress, this isnt a forum for piracy discuss.

My bad, end of Dr Dej splurge of the day. :t_up:

Dej
23-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd buy some megaupload.

Ever tried renting a movie online in NZ?

I have an apple TV and its a joke. Quickflix is not better.

First their catalogues lack most movies you would want to watch because local home entertainment distributors are busy protecting video sales

Meanwhile for lack of better options people just go to Pirate bay. (Note to studios, you are shrinking the pie when you could be growing the pie)

The sooner someone gives the world a legitimate rich/deep on-line catalogue of movie rentals the better. It took Steve Jobs to start grow the pie for music again who will do it for movies???

I tend to agree about the media services in NZ, but still do you trust someone who has been found insider trading running that company?
IMHO, im out.

noodles
23-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I have an apple TV and its a joke.

I also have apple tv. It is excellent for movies. The library is comprehensive. No good if you want to watch tv series.

CJ
23-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I also have apple tv. It is excellent for movies. The library is comprehensive. No good if you want to watch tv series.just get a US iTunes account.

Ideally we would also be able to get Netflix but haven't tried using a proxy.

Dej
23-01-2013, 10:36 PM
just get a US iTunes account.

Ideally we would also be able to get Netflix but haven't tried using a proxy.

If you want to watch netflix just use a VPN, only problem then is bandwidth and what you can do is once you start watching the video, close your VPN and it will return to your usual bandwidth. Best thing to do is just pay for a good VPN like:

http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/