PDA

View Full Version : Apn

tim23
23-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Anyone following the misfortunes here - looking cheapish, synergies with Fairfax possible?
Disc - have modest holding.

BIRMANBOY
23-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I have been watching this for years...every time I think it cant get any worse...it gets worse. There is or was yesterday massive support buying at 27 or so (on the ASX) but my guess is that that was all the new directors trying to prop up the sinking ship. You'd have to be a brave soul to think this was a good bet. Theres probably plenty of value in there but will take a while for everything to settle..Look for the turn and then it could be a goer. Any media heavy in print/publishing is suffering ..question how difficult is it to switch through to digital..could take years.
Anyone following the misfortunes here - looking cheapish, synergies with Fairfax possible?
Disc - have modest holding.

janner
26-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I have been watching this for years...every time I think it cant get any worse...it gets worse. There is or was yesterday massive support buying at 27 or so (on the ASX) but my guess is that that was all the new directors trying to prop up the sinking ship. You'd have to be a brave soul to think this was a good bet. Theres probably plenty of value in there but will take a while for everything to settle..Look for the turn and then it could be a goer. Any media heavy in print/publishing is suffering ..question how difficult is it to switch through to digital..could take years.

Agree with you on this one.. The old " Trend is the friend " applies here.. The knives have been used .. Whether it is to good effect or not, remains to be seen.

Plenty of value... Wait for the turn ..

biker
26-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Yes, I have been looking closely. At this stage I am not interested until I see some evidence of a strong board and a stronger balance sheet.

Any investors must go in with "eyes wide open" - that Independent Media and allies will happily remove the CEO and board, so they will equally disdain small shareholders. Don't expect their interests and your interests to be aligned.

I have a stake in APN. Bought near its lows. I think there is a media shakeout coming and at these levels I am comfortable holding APN and FXJ. The iconic mastheads/brands involved here need to be releveraged in this digital environment, and I believe that will come over time and there will be share price upside.
So far interests of large and small shareholders seem to be well aligned as opposed to the previous CEO and board, who obviously figured they could plunder the shareholders with a cash issue and carry on their merry way. Must have been a bit of a shock to realize that they are actually employed by the shareholders, and they are paid to perform.
Onwards and upwards I say, (although not without downside risk in the short term.) The large shareholders have a lot at stake here ( in capital terms and reputation) and it is gratifying to see the market tacitly approving the CEO/Board rout.

tim23
26-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I am going to hold thought they might have been a bit of a trade as the price was bumping around quite nicely, never mind, rather these than another bruised stock like Rakon (I don't hold!)

janner
26-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Must have been a bit of a shock to realize that they are actually employed by the shareholders, and they are paid to perform. .

A shock that produces waves that carry onto many shores biker.. Not before time..

Interested to know the severence pay from these " resignations ".. :-))

That said.. As a non holder.. If I was.. I would continue to hold.. Think that they have ALMOST hit bottom..

Will continue my vigual.. Not buying yet..

CJ
27-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I am going to hold thought they might have been a bit of a trade as the price was bumping around quite nicely, never mind, rather these than another bruised stock like Rakon (I don't hold!)Given the way the tax cases are going at the moment, expect them to loss that so factor that into your numbers.

Alz99
27-02-2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.sella.co.nz/help-topic/basics/faqs-about-the-integration-of-sella-into-nzherald/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Shiv+27+Feb+2013&utm_content=The+Shiv+27+Feb+2013+CID_7c2bcb24c52d9 579626f23dd649f5456&utm_source=Email&utm_term=FAQs%20page

As
you will know, Sella launched in 2008 and it has grown to more than 550,000
members. We wanted to let you know that our business is taking on a new
direction in 2013.

Sella
is owned by APN NZ Media, publisher of the NZ Herald. APN has today announced a
strategic decision to move away from the consumer to consumer auctions market
and will instead integrate the Sella listings into the Herald and APN Regional
websites. Motoring and Property will launch first.

From
28 February, Sella will no longer operate as a standalone brand and we wanted
to take the opportunity to update you and thank you for your support.

CJ
27-02-2013, 02:47 PM
That was Trademes biggest competition, if you could call them that.

Dej
27-02-2013, 03:34 PM
That was Trademes biggest competition, if you could call them that.

What about Wheedle?? :eek2:

http://wheedle.co.nz/

BIRMANBOY
27-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Oh weely? With a name like that how could it be anything but a success. They should just have called it Whiddle and be done with it.
What about Wheedle?? :eek2:

http://wheedle.co.nz/

tim23
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Quite a bit of movement last 2 days out of nowhere, holding for now!

Newman
12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Quite a bit of movement last 2 days out of nowhere, holding for now!

Google for "APN News and Media" and you would find something. APN share price jumped 9% yesterday with large trading volumes.

biker
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Google for "APN News and Media" and you would find something. APN share price jumped 9% yesterday with large trading volumes.

Can you provide the URL?

Newman
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Can you provide the URL?

For example:

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/motley/8623278/media-stocks-up-on-radio-sale

APM010 thread on NZDX would also be relevant.

biker
12-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Newman.

biker
19-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I have a stake in APN. Bought near its lows. I think there is a media shakeout coming and at these levels I am comfortable holding APN and FXJ. The iconic mastheads/brands involved here need to be releveraged in this digital environment, and I believe that will come over time and there will be share price upside.
So far interests of large and small shareholders seem to be well aligned as opposed to the previous CEO and board, who obviously figured they could plunder the shareholders with a cash issue and carry on their merry way. Must have been a bit of a shock to realise that they are actually employed by the shareholders, and they are paid to perform.
Onwards and upwards I say, (although not without downside risk in the short term.) The large shareholders have a lot at stake here ( in capital terms and reputation) and it is gratifying to see the market tacitly approving the CEO/Board rout.

Well, that was a year ago, and showing a good return having bought around 30c. The latest results ( out today) look as though the turn around is happening and buying the other 50% of ARN and TRN looks like a good move and at a fair price. Still a heap of debt, ( and 60mill more with this transaction) but debt reductions planned and 2014 renewals covered.
5:9 nonrenouncable at 36c ( current sp 44c and in a trading halt) looks good to me for medium term upside and at this stage I will be in and applying for more.
Still a long way to go with this but the new Board and management seem to be heading it in the right direction.

Disc. Own these so I'm biased.

biker
21-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Well, the market likes the idea. up 25% today to 55c.

couta1
21-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, the market likes the idea. up 25% today to 55c.
Their bonds are up also,was worried about holding onto these a year ago but more comfortable to let them run to 2016 now