PDA

View Full Version : What would you invest in?

Toasty
27-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I hope no one minds a new thread?

As someone with some money to invest(thank you XRO) and being too cheap to go to a brokerage for advice, I thought I would hijack this forum for my own ends.

I am looking for an investment to add to my portfolio and just wondering what people think. There are so many great shares on offer at the moment so its hard to decide which bandwagon to jump on.

Portfolio is currently

XRO 10,000
IBM 250
CEN 1,100
VHP 2,600

A small but strange portfolio, lovingly created over the last 10 years but its only recently that I have actually been putting thought into any of it. I want to put about $10k back into the market into one stock and it would be interesting to see if there was a consensus over what people think is a good investment.

Just looking for one company with a good long term outlook and maybe a dividend.

Just interested in opinions and I am aware that this is not a substitute for professional advice (although based on some of the advice that I have received from various brokers over the years, I believe that there is a greater depth of knowledge on this forum than any paid institution)

Just let me know if this is not an appropriate thread. Cheers.

KJ
27-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Quite like SUM-maybe FBU at under $8 if it comes back more.

Toasty
27-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Guys. I do like the look of SUM. Might tie in with my VHP shares. Hospital leasing and retirement homes. Cool.

JohnnyTheHorse
27-03-2013, 12:30 PM
PEB could be worth a look if you are looking for a possible multi-bagger. Higher risk buying in at current levels, but could certainly pay off handsomely in the future. Depends what your risk appetite is for this new investment. Otherwise all other suggestions posted sound like good options.

craic
27-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Pity you missed TEL - up 6cps today on the latest broadband announcement - worth more than a months married rate super to us.

Toasty
27-03-2013, 04:39 PM
OK. So no consensus. So many good options. They are all now in my watchlist.

Not sure if I can deal with SNK. XRO is giving me enough dizzying highs and potential for crushing lows. Maybe add one nice stable stock. SUM and RYM are appealing at the moment...

Blendy
27-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Toasty, and with some of my XRO funds, I picked up a few assorted things: ABA (bought some today in the drop), SUM, RYM, BGR, WHS. Am holding some cash just in case there's a big XRO correction...

Stranger_Danger
27-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm buying guns and seeds currently. For what its worth.

Toasty
27-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Lots of good advice and you can't have too many guns.

Dej
27-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Lots of good advice and you can't have too many guns.

Or seeds obviously! :t_up:

skid
28-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Avocado tree comes in handy as well

pietrade
28-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm buying guns and seeds currently. For what its worth.... and a nice piece of land with some intelligent, capable and co-operative friends. http://www.alternativeaotearoa.org/ark-builders-wanted.html

Toasty
28-03-2013, 10:13 AM
... and a nice piece of land with some intelligent, capable and co-operative friends. http://www.alternativeaotearoa.org/ark-builders-wanted.html

That actually looks kinda cool, although my wife would freak.