PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Shall0w
09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Hello all, been lurking without an account reading up for several months now and decided to join so I can learn more and hopefully contribute to the discussions. For now I'll probably just be asking newbie questions..

Very new to the Share game, hold TEL currently for about 2 years now and just bought some MRP as well. Hoping to do some analysis and branch out into a 3rd + 4th stock to diversify a bit.

Currently reading a book by Martin Hawes that was recommended on here and have the Intelligent Investor next (tried this about a year ago but didn't have the time to really digest it due to a newborn in the family!).

Anyway that's my intro

Cheers
Sam

Banksie
09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Sam, Welcome to sharetrader, I am a newbie too - still feeling my way around. Which Martin Hawes book are you reading?

Shall0w
09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi, the book is called Get Rich, Stay Rich - it was recommended to someone in one of the older newbie threads. Got it from trademe for about $7 there are several copies at that price. Halfway through and it isn't groundbreaking stuff but its easy reading and the core strategy is in line with my goals (make money, live off said money comfortably later in life).

BIRMANBOY
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey there..welcome to the jungle. TEL has been a stellar performer for me and I wish you well with your investing. Lots of differing views and methods on here but remember do what works for you is priority and not what worked for someone else. Diversify is good and with a new family dont bet the family silver on "Its gonna be the biggest gainer ever..guaranteed". Good investing to you...notice not good luck...never rely on luck! Succesfull investment is about learning, research, study and making your mistakes small
Hello all, been lurking without an account reading up for several months now and decided to join so I can learn more and hopefully contribute to the discussions. For now I'll probably just be asking newbie questions..

Very new to the Share game, hold TEL currently for about 2 years now and just bought some MRP as well. Hoping to do some analysis and branch out into a 3rd + 4th stock to diversify a bit.

Currently reading a book by Martin Hawes that was recommended on here and have the Intelligent Investor next (tried this about a year ago but didn't have the time to really digest it due to a newborn in the family!).

Anyway that's my intro

Cheers
Sam

janner
09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Shall0w;405940.

Currently reading a book by Martin Hawes that was recommended on here and have the Intelligent Investor next

Anyway that's my intro
Cheers
Sam[/QUOTE]

A good start to the un-ending reading that you have committed yourself to.. A good solid basic book IMO.. is one by Colin Nicholson.. Building Wealth.. He is an Aussie .. But !!..

iceman
10-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Welcome to Sharetrader Shall0w.

There are many very smart investors on here and most using their own methods designed to suit their personal circumstances. It has worked well for me to read them all (as well as a few books and lot of articles) very carefully and then make my own decisions based on my own personal circumstance.
I think Birmanboy has given you some very good advice that would be good to heed.
Enjoy the ride !

Shall0w
10-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks all, reading is ok with me as there is always something to learn.

Funny about luck - TEL has been a good share for me (up 10% + div) but it was luck (well a lack of fees) that made me buy it not research. The ability to buy shares drip fed over time with no fees seemed like a no brainer for me as the money would have otherwise be used up in daily expenses and I was (and still am) confident about the companies future. I'm treating my share investing as a gambling type scenario so only investing what I can afford to lose, so to speak.

I'm planning on my next share being a growth share as currently TEL and MRP are more yield based shares to complement my house and rental property. Unfortunately it seems with the upturn all the good growth shares seem quite pricey at a glance. Guess I'll need to do some number crunching to see if there are any undervalued gems sitting out there!

I'll check out the book thanks Janner.

Shall0w
10-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Also, as I will now need to use a broker to purchase shares what is flavour of the month thee days? Seems directbroking is the most mentioned one... anyone have a preference or is it based on price?

Hoop
10-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Also, as I will now need to use a broker to purchase shares what is flavour of the month thee days? Seems directbroking is the most mentioned one... anyone have a preference or is it based on price?

Hi Shall0w welcome to ST, and also to you Banksie

I go through Direct Broking with Online DIY trades only.. No preference really, been with them for years...there are advantages with stock-brokers,,some have more than one ...maybe other STers can comment on their benefits. Most broking sites have a page showing their price structure.

You don't rely on good luck in this game just good investing. :)
Hoop

geo
03-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi Hoop
My first post used to be property but to hands on, so trying shares ATM & PEB do you think that PEB can become the next Cochlear??
Thanks
GEO