PDA

View Full Version : Want to track overall NZX PE ratio and dividend yield

Fudosan
17-06-2013, 03:40 PM
I apologize for asking this basic question if it's already answered before. I did a search on this forum but could not find the answer.

I used to read the New Zealand Herald and used its weekend figures to record the NZX overall EPS and dividend yield. Now that I have stopped the subscription, where can I find this information? Thanks.

CJ
17-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I apologize for asking this basic question if it's already answered before. I did a search on this forum but could not find the answer.

I used to read the New Zealand Herald and used its weekend figures to record the NZX overall EPS and dividend yield. Now that I have stopped the subscription, where can I find this information? Thanks.Your local cafe, though you will probably have to spend $4 on some coffee ;)

Not sure of anywhere online unfortunately.

BIRMANBOY
17-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I have been developing a website which is coming online soon that has a dividend yield focus and assorted div tools. Does not do EPS but might if enough interest. I will post on forum when ready

CJ
17-06-2013, 04:46 PM
I have been developing a website which is coming online soon that has a dividend yield focus and assorted div tools. Does not do EPS but might if enough interest. I will post on forum when readyInteresting - Hobby or business?

BIRMANBOY
17-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Hobby/retirement project but not averse to business possibilities. I am designing it and a developer/programmer who did my business websites is doing the programming. Its almost ready for first stage release..maybe 3-4 weeks. I like it and believe its going to be usefull. Been on it about year now...not full time of course.
Interesting - Hobby or business?

kendoran
17-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Birmanboy, where do you get your data from? I've been working on a similar application (hobby project too) for technical analysis signals and fundamental data for some time using the Yahoo Finance data but have had issues with the daily data being updated sometimes a few days too late and the fundamental data to be often inaccurate.

Fudosan
18-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I'm surprised the info is not available on the Internet!!! I'm talking about the whole market's PE ratio and dividend yield, not individual stocks. They are useful in telling me whether the market is hot or not. I used to use the Weekend NZH to enter this info into my database. But, you are saying that most folks are not interested in this info, otherwise, it is usually available on the Internet -- or so I assume.

BIRMANBOY
18-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Most investors buy individual stocks not entire markets so you obviously have invented a new set of tools. I cannot see any advantage myself however you obviously have a system that works for you so thats the main thing. If you cannot find the information you need in the format you require then that means you are obviously either trialling new ground or there is not enough interest in this aspect for someone to act on. Stating the obvious.
Thanks for the replies, but I'm surprised the info is not available on the Internet!!! I'm talking about the whole market's PE ratio and dividend yield, not individual stocks. They are useful in telling me whether the market is hot or not. I used to use the Weekend NZH to enter this info into my database. But, you are saying that most folks are not interested in this info, otherwise, it is usually available on the Internet -- or so I assume.

Billy Boy
18-06-2013, 10:56 AM
There is/was an outfit called Metastock operating a few years ago.
Are they still going ?
BB

whirly
18-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Im not sure why you would want to do this either but I did anyway. Dunno how accurate my data is. It comes from http://www.topyields.nl/Top-dividend-yields-of-NZX50.php

May give some idea but not sure how valid it is really.

Whirly

edit...click on chart for larger view.

Lease
18-06-2013, 12:37 PM
You can put each share of NZX50 market cap and latest profit in a spreadsheet. Total market cap/total profit to get PE ratio of NZX50.

I didn't calculate dividend yield, but worked out a few weeks ago that NZX50 PE is approx 16, PB is 2.3. Not cheap.

CJ
18-06-2013, 01:10 PM
You can put each share of NZX50 market cap and latest profit in a spreadsheet. Total market cap/total profit to get PE ratio of NZX50.Does anyone know any good, reliable, free data tables that can easily be dumped into excel.

IRG use to have two good tables with P/E div yeild etc for all NZX companies but that went down hill when they got into trouble. My tracking spreadsheet was based of that data so I have ended up trialling a Sharesight subscription for this year.

OldRider
18-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Fudosan:
Noticed this today, I have never used this and cannot vouch for precision or accuracy of data, but does give market PE
and div yield with every NZX stock
https://www.asbsecurities.co.nz/Quotes/ResearchMV.aspx?rstockCode=CEN-NZ&stockCode=CEN&exchange=NZSE

Fudosan
18-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm not trying to invent any tools. The reason I asked the question is quite simple. For a long time I subscribed to NZ Herald and got the market PE and dividend yield data from the newspaper. Then I stopped the subscription and now I use the Internet for all my news. I thought the information is available somewhere on the Internet. So, judging from the comments it looks like this data is not of much interest to most investors.

Thanks for the help anywhere. I appreciate it.

nextbigthing
23-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know any good, reliable, free data tables that can easily be dumped into excel.

Does anyone have a link for a free data table similar to what you get in the newspapers? Something with P.E. ratios etc for all NZX stocks. I want to be able to screen all the stocks in one go instead of having to check each one individually.

Cheers NBT

jamiec26
23-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I built this in Google sheets a while back.. might be handy for someone.. Div Yield data isn't available from Google finance so omitted at this point. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aok6kmMFQQwmdGxLYU5PS21iQWV3ZW1FU1d6eHpDM 1E&usp=sharing

Cheers
Jamie

nextbigthing
23-04-2014, 08:24 AM
That's awesome Jamie, thanks.

I can't believe there isn't a free website doing this already. Could be an opening for someone...

Schrodinger
23-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Just use your online account it lists the PER etc. ASB is good in that it gives you the historical report with alot of ratios over time.

If you dont have an online account register for one.

nextbigthing
23-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Just use your online account it lists the PER etc. ASB is good in that it gives you the historical report with alot of ratios over time.

If you dont have an online account register for one.

I use ASB. But where on the site do you get a table that lists the ratios etc for ALL the stocks on one page like the newspapers (as per the original question). I want to use it for screening and hence don't want to view each individual research PDF for example.

Schrodinger
23-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Dont think you can. With Commsec (CBA) you can but the ASB is still in the dark ages with share trading as they are more interested in home loans.

jamiec26
23-04-2014, 03:09 PM
ASB is still in the dark ages with share trading as they are more interested in home loans.

Wouldn't be surprised if they drop the TV3 sponsorship soon. I rung a couple of weeks back with a question, the gent on the phone promptly advised me that ASB doesn't provide an advisory service any more...

traderdude
23-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I think this site was posted on sharetrader for dividend yields a year or two ago. Unsure if it's accurate or complete:

http://www.dividendyield.co.nz/hightolowdividend.php

nextbigthing
23-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I think this site was posted on sharetrader for dividend yields a year or two ago. Unsure if it's accurate or complete:

http://www.dividendyield.co.nz/hightolowdividend.php

Great site for divend yields but I want more information like PE ratio for example. Like I say, I can't believe no one is doing this yet.

winner69
23-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Great site for divend yields but I want more information like PE ratio for example. Like I say, I can't believe no one is doing this yet.

Maybe a business opportunity for you

Your broker prob has a file for you if you ask nicely

traderdude
24-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Here's a list from Bloomberg. No guarantees about the accuracy of the info!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/omoc6u