PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake - NZX Closed for now

Lizard
16-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Reading as a 6.9 here in Wgtn on geonet. Fairly impressed but no breakages here.

Lizard
16-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Reviewed to a meagre 6.2... still felt a bit bigger than last months one!

winner69
16-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Yep a few things fell off the shelf this time around

You ok birman

Lizard
16-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Shaking doesn't want to stop here - though, at worst, only feels like about 20% of the initial shock.

BIRMANBOY
16-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Cats ignored it...we held our breath....cancelled dinner reservation downtown....adrenalin pumping. Uneasiness is building. Hate it all!!!
Yep a few things fell off the shelf this time around

You ok birman

winner69
16-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Cats ignored it...we held our breath....cancelled dinner reservation downtown....adrenalin pumping. Uneasiness is building. Hate it all!!!

Speaking to a city supermarket owner last week ...he said that even after a few weeks takings were down cause of reduced footprint and he said restaurants in courtesy place were suffering cause people weren't coming into town as much

You should uncancel that booking ....maybe not

Take car

Lizard
16-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Wondering what makes everyone want to drive everywhere after something like that - I went to do a school pick-up and discovered the roads were grid-locked with people trying to leave the suburb. Perhaps people trying to rescue stranded partners and children stuck inner-city?

Lizard
16-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh and NZX is back trading...

BIRMANBOY
16-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Wheres my Martin jet pack ...or better yet Martin Taxi Co...could make a fortune.
Wondering what makes everyone want to drive everywhere after something like that - I went to do a school pick-up and discovered the roads were grid-locked with people trying to leave the suburb. Perhaps people trying to rescue stranded partners and children stuck inner-city?

percy
16-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Thinking of you all.
Stay save.

Lizard
16-08-2013, 04:32 PM
ARRGGH, stop it! Still shaking and my wine glass is running low...

fungus pudding
16-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Wheres my Martin jet pack ...or better yet Martin Taxi Co...could make a fortune.

I'd rather be in an earthquake than dangling beneath a weird flying machine.

karen1
16-08-2013, 04:53 PM
ARRGGH, stop it! Still shaking and my wine glass is running low...

um, is that your world still shaking Liz, or is it you? Trust you have replenished the wine glass.. in fact, why not put a straw in the bottle, won't spill as much!

Can't be easy, thinking of you all down there

Lizard
16-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Thinking of you all.
Stay save.
Thanks Percy - and to all Cantabrians who have been through the "real thing", then apologies for the over-enthusiastic reporting from Wellington... where everyone was just looking an excuse to go home early or head for the bar. :blush:

percy
16-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks Percy - and to all Cantabrians who have been through the "real thing", then apologies for the over-enthusiastic reporting from Wellington... where everyone was just looking an excuse to go home early or head for the bar. :blush:

From the people I was talking to in Blenheim earlier in the week,the earthquakes you are having are very frightening.
They are very big, and they have been felt by people here in Christchurch.

Joshuatree
16-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Hope its the cab sauv merlot thats smoothing the nerves:mellow:

Minerbarejet
16-08-2013, 11:30 PM
what an entertaining afternoon. went to wgtn to pick up stepdaughter off 2.30 plane-she had landed a bit early and was on the airbridge and could hardly stand up while im waiting wondering if the terminal is going to collapse. somebody made a hard landing i thought. off to town and another one in the pak and save carpark at kilbirnie - through the gridlock with fire trucks racing everywhere and onto the motorway and on the part over aotea quay another one - scary up there. blow me down after about two hours we stopped at paraparaumu burger king and another one hit. after arriving home somewhat weary my good wife informed me she had just felt an earthquake. At that point I decided that a glass of wine just wasnt going to cut it and an extremely large whiskey was the order of the day:)

STRAT
17-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Thinkin of you guys. Hoping you are all well and unscathed.
Wondering if we are gonna be next too.

BIRMANBOY
17-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Hah....that would make you an upside down pudding then...heres a treat for you FP you can probably forgo the fungus however
Chocolate Pear Upside-Down Pudding (Homemade)
http://www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk/Images/ChocolateUpsideDownPearCake.JPG

I'd rather be in an earthquake than dangling beneath a weird flying machine.