PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie - some questions also

ratsinvest
11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi,

Complete newbie here.

All my life I've been working and putting money in the bank. I've dabbled in a bit of property but haven't really had much luck. I am interested in investing in shares but I want to invest in US shares as they are the ones

I have some questions and was hoping you guys could help me:

1) What is the best way for buying and selling US shares? I've searched this forum and also googled and I see there are some online options available. I am interested in what ANZ offers but their costs seem a bit high. Are there other options?

2) If I was to purchase some shares and the next day they went up significantly and I wsold would I then have to pay tax on my profit? Example buy $1000 shares, next day shares are worth $1800 and I sell. Would I pay tax on the $800?

3) Are dividends taxed?

4) I am particularly interested in finding the next Apple stock, aren't we all? :-) Any advice on how one spots the next Apple stock? ;-)

5) Any tips and strategies for the first time share trader?

6) Any obviously glaring mistakes not to make?

These are all complete newbie questions so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

blackcap
11-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi,

Complete newbie here.

All my life I've been working and putting money in the bank. I've dabbled in a bit of property but haven't really had much luck. I am interested in investing in shares but I want to invest in US shares as they are the ones

1) What is the best way for buying and selling US shares? I've searched this forum and also googled and I see there are some online options available. I am interested in what ANZ offers but their costs seem a bit high. Are there other options?

Good question. I have Euro account but can have one due to citizinship there. Some of the Australian brokers may offer a better service than the NZ ones.

2) If I was to purchase some shares and the next day they went up significantly and I wsold would I then have to pay tax on my profit? Example buy $1000 shares, next day shares are worth $1800 and I sell. Would I pay tax on the $800?

In NZ... YES

3) Are dividends taxed?

YES

4) I am particularly interested in finding the next Apple stock, aren't we all? :-) Any advice on how one spots the next Apple stock? ;-)

Cant help you there.

Do a lot of reading. I can recommend "One up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch. Your question 4 may be answered by this book.
Trading.... um do not know too much about it but I would recommend "Market Wizards" by Jack Schwalger. He identifies and interviews the top traders and they give insight into their winning methods and what makes them tick

Do not hold onto losses, and do not become emotionally attached to a stock.

Thanks!

Welcome onboard the forum!

percy
11-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Complete newbie here.

3) Are dividends taxed?

Thanks!

Successful property investors do well in the sharemarket.
As you haven't had much luck in property,I can't see you will do any better in the sharemarket.
Leave your money in the bank.

artemis
11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Why not dip a toe in the water first by setting up a play portfolio (no real money) and watching what happens over time. Most broking sites have that facility. Keep an eye on news about the companies you are interested in (eg stockmarket announcements, Google 'alerts') and see the impact - if any - on the share price.

Personally I would start with the NZX and the ASX as their shares are easier to follow while gathering experience. Good luck with the next 'Apple' stock. I prefer 'get rich slowly' with a little play money at the high risk end. Which sometimes pays big, but usually doesn't.

iceman
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Welcome aboard.
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and a good grasp of balance sheets and company valuations, I suggest you look at ETFs. I invest in Vanguard Capitalīs SP500 tracker and am happy with it. I use it for monthly fixed amount investments and am happy with the performance and the fair fees charged.
Of course there are many others but my favourites and Vanguard and Blackrock.
Have a browse and see if that is something that mayn interest you. I think they are hard to beat in the long run !

But I am assuming that you are a long term investor, not a short term trader. Forget about trading in individual US stocks in small numbers like you suggested. Brokerage fees will kill it before you even get off the ground.

Kaspar
11-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard.
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and a good grasp of balance sheets and company valuations, I suggest you look at ETFs. I invest in Vanguard Capitalīs SP500 tracker and am happy with it. I use it for monthly fixed amount investments and am happy with the performance and the fair fees charged.
Of course there are many others but my favourites and Vanguard and Blackrock.
Have a browse and see if that is something that mayn interest you. I think they are hard to beat in the long run !

But I am assuming that you are a long term investor, not a short term trader. Forget about trading in individual US stocks in small numbers like you suggested. Brokerage fees will kill it before you even get off the ground.

Hey Iceman, do you invest in ETFs through a US broker? you mention monthly investments, I would have thought the brokerage would be quite high doing this?

Longhaul
11-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Welcome. For tips and strategies I'd suggest reading this excellent post (http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthread.php?9324-Farewell-from-the-clown&p=426369&viewfull=1#post426369) from Sparkytheclown. Good luck :)

iceman
11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey Iceman, do you invest in ETFs through a US broker? you mention monthly investments, I would have thought the brokerage would be quite high doing this?

No not through a US broker. Just an account with Vanguard with a fixed monthly investment. No " brokerage" fees, just the normal management fee which I find very reasonable

winner69
12-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Successful property investors do well in the sharemarket.
As you haven't had much luck in property,I can't see you will do any better in the sharemarket.
Leave your money in the bank.

Jeez ratsinvest. - bet you didn't come here to be called a born loser eh

Sounds like you if you serious about this write down what you want to achieve and then writing down how you will do this .....as well as writing down some milestones ......and writing down some contingency plans if plans don't work.

ratsinvest
12-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Guys, thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. Winner69, I like your suggestion the most. I'm going to come up with a plan on what I want to achieve and then hopefully you guys can give me a few tips on where to go with this.

blueswan
12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Or you can just get an IB account so you can trade practically anything. brokerage is reasonable. Just take into account the minimum amount to open an account. Just do it slowly. Although I would start reading some articles in Stock Trading.

mp52
18-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Welcome aboard.
... I invest in Vanguard Capitalīs SP500 tracker and am happy with it. I use it for monthly fixed amount investments and am happy with the performance and the fair fees charged.

Iceman, how are you investing in the Vanguard fund? I know Canadians have issues opening US Vanguard accounts so am interested how you make this work? I'm assuming you've opened a US-based bank account and periodically transfer lump sums of NZDs to that to cut down on FX charges? Is your method open to most or do you have connections in the US than enable you to use Vanguard directly? What's the investment threshold required to access the fund?

With the Aus dollar so favourable, I've thought about transferring some funds to an Aus bank account and buying monthly investments in one of the Vanguard EFTs on the ASX.

Cheers.