PDA

View Full Version : ASL (AusDrill) - financial position still OK?

Bobcat.
20-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Ausdrill published two weeks ago a FY13 earnings update of $35-40m (FY12: $90m, which is also lower than recent analyst expectations of $70-75m). This has surprised investors to the point of shaving 50% off its share price since then (drifting prices for mining products has of course also contributed)...but is the company's financial position really all that bad?

Given the number of Australian digger projects on hold, it's no surpise that its mining services division locally is under utilised. What is more surprising is the extent of under utilisation in its African divisions - CMSA and joint venture AUMS - with new tendering now required in Ghana, Mali and Tanzania to utilise idle machines and employees.

More positively, a 5% reduction in headcount has been achieved this year, with more OPEX cutting underway, and less CAPEX is expected (down from $180m over the past two years to less than 40% of that figure for 2014).

Debt gearing is a bit high at 37% (FY12: 26%) but manageable with an interest cover of about 5 times for FY14 (for the 3 times covenant).

Stock today is trading at about 6 times FY14 earnings estimates. I see this as a good purchase.

Chart TA has solid support around 80c (demonstrated early July).

Discl: Bought some today for the first time, anticipating a short-term rebound back up to at least $1 by the end of this month.

Bobcat.
21-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes KW, you're right - I came in a day too early. The sp this morning bounced off support at 82c to now trade above yesterday's closing price. I see this stock recovering well from here on...provided its African divisions do not weigh it down too heavily with drawn out under-utilisation.

Bobcat.
25-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Think its still too early to bet on a turnaround.

Price up again today (89.5c as I write this). Last Friday saw it trade at a higher high and higher low than Thursday. If today it can breach 91c whilst not dropping below 85c then this sp recovery may have some legs...provided the prices of Gold and other precious metals don't drop away much further.

Discl: holding a small parcel (speculative) with a short-term target of $1.

arc
23-07-2014, 01:23 PM
ASL Spiking today...?
Anyone have any info

arc
23-07-2014, 06:27 PM
KW

Thanks,
Can I ask if you personally consider the 200 day MA a significant indicator, Would you consider it to be a defacto industry standard?.

arc
25-07-2014, 01:29 PM
ASX:ASL is moving up
ASX:MAH has just started and is moving rapidly

Disc: I have small amount of both

arc
01-08-2014, 02:55 PM
ASL in trading halt...?

mark100
01-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Page 2 gives some detail, impairment charge and a change of tax status somewhere

arc
28-08-2014, 02:01 PM
ASL is seeing some heavy action...