PDA

View Full Version : Newbie checkin' in

axe
25-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Hello everyone, :)

I am new to the forums here and I'm also a newbie to investing in shares.

This year I participated in the MRP and MEL IPOs . I missed out on the AIR selldown due to not having a broker ( in the process of setting up now )

The biggest questions I am mulling over is adding to my portfolio and diversifying.

As I am young(ish) I have the luxury of looking to invest long term.

born2invest
25-11-2013, 09:42 AM

This year I participated in the MRP and MEL IPOs . I missed out on the AIR selldown due to not having a broker ( in the process of setting up now )

The biggest questions I am mulling over is adding to my portfolio and diversifying.

Why did you decide on MRP and MEL as opposed to alternative investments?

Harvey Specter
25-11-2013, 09:53 AM
This year I participated in the MRP and MEL IPOsBummer. I did as well but why did you choose to buy into both given you have no other investments? Are you planning on diversefiying?

Have you set any goals and rules for how you will invest? Trader/long term hold. Growth/yeild/speculative/value/hybrid?

BIRMANBOY
25-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Welcome and wish you well....reading various threads will expose you to every possible type of investor and investing so good learning. With a lifetime of investing in front of you take your time and get educated.

axe
25-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Bummer. I did as well but why did you choose to buy into both given you have no other investments? Are you planning on diversefiying?

Have you set any goals and rules for how you will invest? Trader/long term hold. Growth/yeild/speculative/value/hybrid?

I participated in both MRP and MEL because of the North / South split between the two companies.
They should perform well over the time period that I intend to hold them (20+ years) .

born2invest
26-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I participated in both MRP and MEL because of the North / South split between the two companies.
They should perform well over the time period that I intend to hold them (20+ years) .

They are such similar companies though.

If you want to diversify, why buy two electricity companies in little old NZ?

They have little growth in raising sales/profits so over the 20 years I wouldn't expect there to be much growth in the share price, you will just get returns from the dividends.

Sgt Pepper
26-11-2013, 01:21 PM
As I am a new, and modest, investor in the Sharemarket I would like to share my current vestment holdings and aspirations. I hold Dorchester Pacific as it appeals as a well managed entity with steadily climbing profits. BLIS Technologies as the science is robust and has good growth prospects ,will be taken over by SINOPHARM of China. I aspire to hold shares in heartland bank, has a dividend reinvestment plan good prospects of being a $3.00 share within 2 years, and Pacific Edge Biotechnology, superb prospects although unfortunately highly likely to be taken over . Any comments welcome. Goodluck everyone

axe
27-11-2013, 01:34 PM
They are such similar companies though.

If you want to diversify, why buy two electricity companies in little old NZ?

They have little growth in raising sales/profits so over the 20 years I wouldn't expect there to be much growth in the share price, you will just get returns from the dividends.

I am looking to diversify by adding to my portfolio. The two electricity companies appealed to me as a good starting point on the lower end of the risk scale for a young investor.

born2invest
27-11-2013, 02:17 PM
As I am a new, and modest, investor in the Sharemarket I would like to share my current vestment holdings and aspirations. I hold Dorchester Pacific as it appeals as a well managed entity with steadily climbing profits. BLIS Technologies as the science is robust and has good growth prospects ,will be taken over by SINOPHARM of China. I aspire to hold shares in heartland bank, has a dividend reinvestment plan good prospects of being a $3.00 share within 2 years, and Pacific Edge Biotechnology, superb prospects although unfortunately highly likely to be taken over . Any comments welcome. Goodluck everyone

Dorchester Pacific-
Steady climbing profits? What figures are you looking at? They have only made profit in one of the last 6 years and average a loss of around $8 million every year. Their financial results are anything but steadily climbing.

Blis Technologies-
Makes 1 million in revenue, loses 2 million net loss. How is this a "robust" "growth" company? It is highly speculative with a huge downside and unpredictable upside. You are leaving yourself highly vulnerable to penny dreadful.

Heartland Bank-
Increasing net interest income, sporatic profits, low return on assets compared to the "big four" banks. With a p/e of over 40 for a simple bank and an almost doubling of the stock price since listing I wouldn't be holding my breath of great returns.

born2invest
27-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I am looking to diversify by adding to my portfolio. The two electricity companies appealed to me as a good starting point on the lower end of the risk scale for a young investor.

Good idea to diversify further than NZ electricity as you get more funds. Keep in mind that both of these electricity companies have very little room for any growth. I'm a "young" investor too at 25 years old but if I was you, I'd be looking at something with a little more growth potential compared to a mature old electricity company in a stagnant industry.

Wolf
27-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Sgt Pepper how do you arrive at HNZ having a good prospect of being $3 in 2 years? I hope it does :) but i have a much more conservative figure. It looks to me that you have a very risky portfolio full of speculative/ high risk stocks.

Born2invest can you suggest a stock worth looking at? If i remember correctly don't you use a dividend discount model aiming for 15%? I tried running something similar and by it just about everything is over valued due to the high PE's of the market at this time. Although i'm really just looking in NZ i guess there might be some overseas.

born2invest
28-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Born2invest can you suggest a stock worth looking at? If i remember correctly don't you use a dividend discount model aiming for 15%? I tried running something similar and by it just about everything is over valued due to the high PE's of the market at this time. Although i'm really just looking in NZ i guess there might be some overseas.

You remember well :t_up:

Normally no one listens to me! Yes that is correct I use a DDM to aim for 15%

I also agree I'm finding it very hard to find anything that comes close to being something that I consider a good price to pay. But I'm happy to wait rather than start trying to make money in a way that I don't fully understand. Patience is something I'm good at. Sometimes too good that I don't buy anything even though in hindsight I should have.

Here is my watchlist that I keep on my ASB account:

NZX watchlist-

ANZ
FRE
MFT
POT
RYM
SUM

ASX watchlist-

AUB
CCP
DLX
FXL
NHF
OFX
RHC
RWH
SDF
SGH
SNL
VRT

I currently own CCP & SNL

axe
28-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I too have RYM and SUM on my watchlist.