PDA

View Full Version : IPhone or Samsung?

Steve
29-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm finally looking at entering the smartphone age due to my current phone dying from old age. (Had just the 2 phones over the last 17 years!). Currently do nothing but calls/txt, but looking to make use of the technology available with my pending upgrade.

Any suggestions whether to go with an IPhone or Samsung? 32GB or 64GB?

At the end of the day they both have Apps that do just about anything, so I guess it would come down to personal preference? History suggests that I will hang on to the phone until it dies a natural death, so I'm thinking 64GB to futureproof?

noodles
29-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I picked an android device over iphone because:
1. Screen is bigger
2. The UI is customizable

I picked an HTC 1 over a samsung s4 because it looked more durable.

However, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a iphone5, Samsung galaxy s4, or htc 1. You will wonder why you waited so long.

fungus pudding
29-12-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm finally looking at entering the smartphone age due to my current phone dying from old age. (Had just the 2 phones over the last 17 years!). Currently do nothing but calls/txt, but looking to make use of the technology available with my pending upgrade.

Any suggestions whether to go with an IPhone or Samsung? 32GB or 64GB?

At the end of the day they both have Apps that do just about anything, so I guess it would come down to personal preference? History suggests that I will hang on to the phone until it dies a natural death, so I'm thinking 64GB to futureproof?

I've never used an iphone but quite like the Samsung S3. I've been looking at the LG S2 which strikes me as a damn good thing and Harvey Norman's are selling them at $686. Limited storage though, but read some reviews online.

Bobcat.
29-12-2013, 04:00 PM
A while back, I managed a project rolling out both iphones and Samsung Androids.

Bang and flexibility for buck, the androids excel. If you want tighter security and consistent integration with other Apple products, the iphone excel.

My family has a weird combination of Nexus, Samsung, Nokia and i-pods. I tried to guide it earlier to Androids but failed, and thought it was going to be a problem but file sharing within the family is infrequent, and it's more important what our circles of friends are running. My youngest has an i-pod and face-times his mates, most of whom seem to also have one, and so doesn't seem to need a phone for texting...but I'm sure that will change once he starts college.

Latest Samsungs have s-beam which utilises a modern and convenient bluetooth protocol...meaning file transfer is real fast and easy (requiring the two phones to just touch each other).

Decide your requirements w.r.t.:
- Memory
- Screen size
- Battery life
- Extended memory/storage
- CPU speed (dual core?)
- Weight
- Durability (some are rugged and waterproof, whereas the bigger the screen the more fragile (normally))
- Operating system version (latest?)
- Email supported?
- Ability to view MS docs?
- Good calendar req'd?
- GPS required?
- 3.5mm Headset jack?
- and of course, Warranty T's and C's.

False Profit
29-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Had an iPhone 3GS (never again) and since then have had a Galaxy S2. Very reasonably priced nowadays. You only need to go for an S3 or 4 if you want a faster processor. But who needs a quad core phone?!?!?

GTM 3442
29-12-2013, 10:58 PM
I run one of the dual-sim Samsungs.

It lets me use one SIM for phone/txt, and one for data. Very flexible.

When overseas, I pull out the data SIM, and stick in a local SIM. Very flexible.

Not to everyone's taste, but it works very well for me.

Joshuatree
29-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Still have my first smart ph iPhone 3GS (i think). that i bought off a friend for a ton. LOve it. so user friendly for this slow to adopt technophobe.

fungus pudding
30-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I've never used an iphone but quite like the Samsung S3. I've been looking at the LG S2 which strikes me as a damn good thing and Harvey Norman's are selling them at $686. Limited storage though, but read some reviews online.

Since I posted that yesterday I got a chance to have a good play on the LG. It is brilliant - I'd rate it every bit as good as the Samsung note - and a bit more pocket friendly, certainly better than the Samsung S3 or even S4 if the extra size isn't that much of a concern. I was so impressed I shot down town and bought one.

peat
31-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't think KW's comments are completely fair. I bought an IPhone 4S just before the 5 came out (about 18 months ago) and have recently upgraded it to iOS7 and it still works fine.

That said IStuff is premium quality and you tend to pay for that as well as its ease of use. If easy workability (i.e you're not too technical) then IPhone is the obvious choice. If you want it to last get as least 32 GB.

Jay
31-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Same here peat, my wife got an iphone 4S and had no problems upgrading to iOS7, works fine.

Rumours say the next Samsung S5?? is due around March, where as the next major iPhone (iPhone 6) not due until later in the year
Either way would go for 32G minimum

Jay
01-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Morale of the story is wait before you upgrade, you do not have to once apple says its ready.
My employers IT dept said to wait as there was a security issue that they wanted to/apple to, fix before leting the staff update their iphones (all 4S's) and ipads. No reported problems (well major or gripes) that I have heard of.
Some did not read the "memo: and went ahead, they lost there use of WiFi in the interim or got the phone taken off them until the fix!. That will make them look next time

nextbigthing
02-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Have both an Iphone 5 and Samsung Galaxy s4. Samsung wins hands down IMHO.

Vaygor1
02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
When it comes to PC's, I love Apple products... cannot stand Windows anything except good old XP.
For phones though, it's Android hands down. Apple enforces far too much control (and cost) over their music and apps for the iPhone.
Android's work beautifully. No need to restrict yourself to Samsung... HTC is brilliant too as I am sure all Android phones are. Irrespective of the manufacture, all Android 'flight decks' are essentially the same, with a wide choice of screen sizes and speeds.

peat
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Just google "ios update problems" and you'll see what I mean. .

google any product with the word 'problems' and you'll get lots of hits

MrAT
14-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Androids definitely offer more customization and flexibility. You could have a page on your phone that shows you indices/share prices. On the other hand, since this is your first smart phone, having all that customization might be somewhat overwhelming at first. With that said, if you take it slowly, and get some help along the way, the android platform will allow you to do more with your phone.

Iphones on the other hand are great phones if you don't want much/any customization. You basically get what Apple gives you, and most people are fine with that. However it does seem like you are somewhat frugal when it comes to phones. This will not work with an iphone. My iphone 4 gets slower with every operating system upgrade.

I just recently bought a Nexus 5. In terms of computing power and price it beats both samsung and iphone. Memory wise, go with 16GB. If you survived for 17 years with 2 phones, you wouldn't be yearning for more memory with a 16gb phone.