PDA

View Full Version : Recording trading transactions and accounts

Pricey
15-04-2014, 09:19 PM
All, I appreciate your time.

I am pondering the best method for recording what shares (investments generally) are owned in order to calculate what profit, if any, has materialised. The banks I trade through offer crude details but I have no account of dividends received or further capital put in (apart from my bank statement).

I was just seeking help on what details would be conducive to providing a good overview of ones portfolio. The easy options are buy/sell price and dividends received. Are there any other?

How to people keep track of their portfolio?

BIRMANBOY
16-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Simple , crude but efficient Excell spreadsheet just add/subtract what else you need. I 'm sure there are other more sophisticated software programs as well but this works for me.

# OF
PRICE
BROK-
TOTAL
# OF SHARES
PRICE
BROKERAGE
TOTAL

BUY DATE
COMPANY OR BOND
SHARES
PAID
ERAGE
PAID
SOLD
SOLD FOR

RECEIVED

DIVIDENDS

GROSS
Imputation credit
RWT
NET
DATE PAID

All, I appreciate your time.

I am pondering the best method for recording what shares (investments generally) are owned in order to calculate what profit, if any, has materialised. The banks I trade through offer crude details but I have no account of dividends received or further capital put in (apart from my bank statement).

I was just seeking help on what details would be conducive to providing a good overview of ones portfolio. The easy options are buy/sell price and dividends received. Are there any other?

Harvey Specter
16-04-2014, 01:46 PM
When you are starting up, http://www.sharesight.co.nz/ is great as it is free for 10 holdings (at one time, not total so if you buy and sell, that frees up a slot- it still remembers the old stuff). After that it costs but I think it is worth it.

Onion
17-04-2014, 04:39 PM

I use Google Spreadsheets. It allows me to sneak a look while at work and all the changes are available back at home again.

Google's API's allow it to pull in prices from both Google and Yahoo.

The share prices are delayed by 20 minutes.

Take a look at this shared copy -- I think I have cleaned out my most embarrassing investments!

Onion's share tracker (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap9polSzaerJdGlhTzhxZ0RaeTR1RHcwZ3FLQlZHT nc&usp=sharing)

Xerof
18-04-2014, 01:48 PM
When you are starting up, http://www.sharesight.co.nz/ is great as it is free for 10 holdings (at one time, not total so if you buy and sell, that frees up a slot- it still remembers the old stuff). After that it costs but I think it is worth it.

I can absolutely endorse this product....have found it to be of great assistance, especially when you have shares in other currencies/countries. I pay for the 'expert' version, so can have up to 4 portfolios, and I have 3. I also get caught by FIF and it handles this aspect particularly well, as FIF calculations and reporting to IRD is a nightmare.

By the way, some of you may not be aware that, (according to Sharesight's filtering system), DIL is considered to be an FIF..........

Baaarney
20-04-2014, 10:04 AM
I also find www.sharesight.co.nz to be awesome. It's recently been expanded to include managed funds so I can keep track of many things in one place

koven
30-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I use Google Spreadsheets. It allows me to sneak a look while at work and all the changes are available back at home again.

Google's API's allow it to pull in prices from both Google and Yahoo.

The share prices are delayed by 20 minutes.

Take a look at this shared copy -- I think I have cleaned out my most embarrassing investments!

Onion's share tracker (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap9polSzaerJdGlhTzhxZ0RaeTR1RHcwZ3FLQlZHT nc&usp=sharing)

Thanks for sharing onion. Will look into it.

milt1968
30-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Just signed up for ShareSight. So nice and easy to use. Thanks for the recommendation guys

barleeni
11-06-2014, 10:27 PM
I prefer excel spreadsheets, and spent an absolute age trying to work out how to import share data as per the google spreadsheet. It turns out that the 2013 version of Microsoft Excel has a brilliant new function called 'WEBSERVICE" which will pull in web data, and fortunately yahoo provides everything you could want!

Try this formula in Excel 2013:

=NUMBERVALUE(WEBSERVICE("http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s="&A13&"&f="&C8&""))

Where 'A13' is a cell containing the Share ID (so if you wanted meridian you would have to enter "melca.nz" note the .nz suffix, I thought it would be .nzx but turns out anything you want from the nzx is .nz)

The 'C8' cell contains a shortcode for what piece of info you want to extract, there is a multitude of data you can extract, suc has 'l1' which is last trade price, 'h' is day high, 'g' is day low etc. etc.

Bloody magic!