PDA

View Full Version : What to do with your Genesis Application Refund ?

Beagle
22-04-2014, 05:28 PM
I bought some Goodman Property Trust but am scratching my head for other idea's ???
I guess there's the obvious question, buy some more since as it was so heavily scaled in the public pool.
Other thoughts ?

RRR
22-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Buy ASX stocks! I bought a few today.

bohemian
22-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Buy Ausie banks.

Snow Leopard
22-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Put it back into whatever it was you took it out of.

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

nextbigthing
22-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Donate it to the cancer society. Worthy cause.

percy
22-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Well I am happy to leave mine sitting in the bank,until the next great opportunity comes along..
Holding myself at the ready to be "well positioned."[yet again] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

janner
22-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Well I am happy to leave mine sitting in the bank,until the next great opportunity comes along..
Holding myself at the ready to be "well positioned."[yet again] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

Good advice Perc .. !!..

noodles
22-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Like this one...
http://intuerishares.co.nz/

percy
22-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Like this one...
http://intuerishares.co.nz/

Thanks for the link.
Not sure yet,Will have a read of the prospectus.I hold AKG and KME in Aussie,so have a bit it that sector already.Have followed Steve Fleming and Mark100's posts.

janner
22-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Hmmmmm...

Another one offering courses..

Not overly excited..

PLYNCH
22-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Invest with Sky City and I don't mean the shares.

hairofthedog
23-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I was thinking of ASX, but I haven't done any research yet. Percy I see you are into the ASX, any recommendations on growth companies to start me investigating? Other suggestions from members welcome. Thanks

noodles
23-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I was thinking of ASX, but I haven't done any research yet. Percy I see you are into the ASX, any recommendations on growth companies to start me investigating? Other suggestions from members welcome. Thanks

My largest ASX holding is COLLINS FOODS LTD (CKF). They have the franchise for KFC in australia. They trade on a FY15 pe of just 8.66. Compare that to RBD.NZ that trade on a FY15 pe of 15!
They are growing by acquisition.

percy
23-04-2014, 08:55 AM

I would read the Aussie threads as there a a lot of excellent posters giving great advice .I tend to go for small companies there and boring companies here. Better divies here.Good boring Aussie companies would include all the banks,CSL,DLX,IVC,RHC and Noodle's CKF.
I hold the following small companies;AEU,AKG,AZV,,EBT,GLH,INA,KME,MNF,SDI.
Others to follow would be CAJ and SOM. I most probably did the wrong thing selling these two last November.
Just spend a good amount of time on your research,and results will come.

Nigel
23-04-2014, 09:18 AM
If you're open to some risk, you could look at Cassini Resources (ASX:CZI). These are the guys who recently picked up some land off BHP for next to nothing. BHP are divesting non-core assets, and the massive Nebo-Babel tenament, nearby Succoth tenement and a couple of others fell into that category. CZI went from 4.5c to 26c on the back of it. They've just done a $10m placement to institutions, sophisticated investors and directors at 18c, so are cashed up and ready to drill. The shareprice has come down from the hype of 26c and has retreated towards the placement price (SP currently at 19c). If you include the dilution from the placement, market cap is only $21m, with cash in the bank of $10m. So they have a proven resource, that will be firmed up via infill drilling in the coming months. When (if) they can show some good numbers plus a plan of how they will get the resource out of the middle of Australia to a port, this could rise substantially. Still risk, given the industry and th elocation, but some clever cookies involved. The chairman is Mike Young, who took BC Iron from nothing to producer in only four years and BCI is now an ASX200 company making a whole lot of cash. Mike has said there's no reason they can't repeat that success here. Obviously I'm excited about the company (and have held for a long time so have made a bit of money already) but I have resisted the temptation to sell (in fact I have recently bought more) as I know we're sitting on a lot of Copper and Nickel and trust that management have the vision and skills to make a go of this. Always DYOR, and realise that as with any mining stock, it could end in tears. But the upside outweighs the downside by a long stretch in my opinion.

Beagle
23-04-2014, 09:22 AM
My largest ASX holding is COLLINS FOODS LTD (CKF). They have the franchise for KFC in australia. They trade on a FY15 pe of just 8.66. Compare that to RBD.NZ that trade on a FY15 pe of 15!
They are growing by acquisition.

I suspect you, Percy and others suggesting the ASX are quite right. The ASX has done little over the last five years as a whole so there must be value there.

noodles
23-04-2014, 09:34 AM
I suspect you, Percy and others suggesting the ASX are quite right. The ASX has done little over the last five years as a whole so there must be value there.
Roger,
The ASX has performed poorly compared to the NZX. However, in the small cap space, many stocks have been re-rated. If you look at the share prices of some of Percy's holdings, you will see some massive re-ratings. I also like to play in the small cap space (even if Percy called my pick boring). Recently I have struggled to find "diamonds in the rough" as was possible a couple of years ago. In fact, I see more opportunities on the NZX at the moment. Anyway, I'm not sure there is much value in the ASX.

I see some good shorting opportunities.

percy
23-04-2014, 09:59 AM

I have had a lot of fun in Aussie as you would have noted in the Australian stock picking contests.I always hold shares that I pick.
2011 ,55th up 24,13%.
2012,2nd up 143.27%.
2013,10th,up 56.19%.
this year so far 4th up 35.87%.
So Aussie has done a lot for some of us.
Noodles.Sorry bad use of words.Should have used steady,strong or something instead of boring!!!!! lol.

noodles
23-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I have had a lot of fun in Aussie as you would have noted in the Australian stock picking contests.I always hold shares that I pick.
2011 ,55th up 24,13%.
2012,2nd up 143.27%.
2013,10th,up 56.19%.
Noodles.Sorry bad use of words.Should have used steady,strong or something instead of boring!!!!! lol.

As Percy has highlighted, the ASX has been stock pickers market. I think it will continue to be the case. I just think it is getting harder.

Percy, those results are impressive. However, my "boring "portfolio beat you in 2013:)

Beagle
23-04-2014, 12:28 PM
2011 ,55th up 24,13%.
2012,2nd up 143.27%.
2013,10th,up 56.19%.

Hey Percy my old mate. You're as cunning as a wily old fox :)
The thing that has done my head in with the Aussie market over the years has been the double taxation of dividends and our inability to claim franking credits, quite why the respective governments have allowed this unfortunate situation to remain unresolved for such a long time is something that irks me but I think its time for me to get over it and move on.
I think the market is moving towards traditional value stocks trading on realistic and undemanding PE multiples. Looks like i've got a ton of research too do.

percy
23-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Hey Percy my old mate. You're as cunning as a wily old fox :)
The thing that has done my head in with the Aussie market over the years has been the double taxation of dividends and our inability to claim franking credits, quite why the respective governments have allowed this unfortunate situation to remain unresolved for such a long time is something that irks me but I think its time for me to get over it and move on.
I think the market is moving towards traditional value stocks trading on realistic and undemanding PE multiples. Looks like i've got a ton of research too do.

The double taxation is an issue as is brokerage.
As Noodles pointed out it is getting harder to find the jewels!!! But they are there!!!!!
Small companies with strong balance sheets, and good management in the right sectors can prove very rewarding.
There is just a lot more of then in Aussie.

stoploss
23-04-2014, 01:40 PM
2011 ,55th up 24,13%.
2012,2nd up 143.27%.
2013,10th,up 56.19%.

Percy 143 % in a year and you didn't top the podium … very good consistent work there .

blackcap
23-04-2014, 05:31 PM
What do you do if you do not have your refund yet :(

milt1968
23-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I would give them a ring in the morning if your refund is not in your account. As far as I know all refunds will be processed on 22 and 23 April

23-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Or you got all that you asked for. Just joking.

blackcap
23-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I would give them a ring in the morning if your refund is not in your account. As far as I know all refunds will be processed on 22 and 23 April
Cheers Milt. Ok if the 23rd was an option, I shall give it 12 more hours. I know I got the shares (CSN confirms it) so it will be in the ether somewhere one thinks.

hairofthedog
23-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks percy and others who responded re ASX. Has given me somewhere to start... Looking forward to the next CHCH catch up.

Nigel
23-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks percy and others who responded re ASX. Has given me somewhere to start... Looking forward to the next CHCH catch up.

Another ASX speccie is WHN. This is a small cap oiler that has just got government approval for a farm-in deal with a large FTSE-listed oil company. Went from 1.2c to 1.4c today but hoping it will sail much higher.

nissan
28-04-2014, 01:41 PM
I am thinking of investing the refund in Goodman Property Trust,Telecom, Barramindi.& The Warehouse. Any comments? (I am Retired & a long term holder generally) Thanks

percy
28-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Good selection bar the Barramundi which is best avoided.