PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the market?

Kaspar
30-04-2014, 12:36 PM
What do you think about the NZX and/or the ASX at the moment? The NZX especially seems to be powering along but for how much longer? Is anyone getting wary?

The gains made over the last year or so have been insane on some stocks. Even boring stocks (quoting percy :D) like AIA, RYM, FPH have had massive gains. Everything seems 'expensive'. What about you guys? Anyone sitting on a chunk of cash to take advantage of any correction? Also our $ is strong against the AUD right now, maybe Aussie is looking like a better hunting ground?

BlackPeter
30-04-2014, 01:17 PM
What do you think about the NZX and/or the ASX at the moment? The NZX especially seems to be powering along but for how much longer? Is anyone getting wary?

The gains made over the last year or so have been insane on some stocks. Even boring stocks (quoting percy :D) like AIA, RYM, FPH have had massive gains. Everything seems 'expensive'. What about you guys? Anyone sitting on a chunk of cash to take advantage of any correction? Also our $ is strong against the AUD right now, maybe Aussie is looking like a better hunting ground?

Not sure, whether I can comment on the ASX, not enough exposure ...

Looking at the NZX - I don't invest into the NZX, but into some stocks traded on the NZX. Looking at what's available - yes, there are some stocks appearing too dear. I wouldn't (and I don't) invest at current prices into most of the so called tech stocks (like PEB, XRO and WYN), despite the recent correction. DIL (another tech stock) looks currently not too bad on paper, but still can't convince myself to part with my money to buy shares in a company not even able to properly account for their money. Having all of the key players in the US doesn't help either.

Most Electricity Generators are probably still somewhat (but not hugely) undervalued (e.g. MRP, MELCA), and all somewhat dependent on the whim of the politicians.

Some mining stocks around which might be good for huge jumps - like e.g. CRP (subject to consents) and BRL (subject to the development of the coal price).

Some in my view still undervalued infrastructure companies (CNU - probably IFT as well) and don't forget the retirement industry (e.g. SUM, MET) - currently taking a breather, but in my view with still huge long term growing potential.

So - overall - I think there is still potential in the NZX, but yes, there are as well a number of companies in my view well overpriced. I don't know, where the NZX is going, but I don't expect huge jumps in the near term and I think there is still good money to earn if you pick the right stocks.

Discl: Hold all of the above mentioned shares (and others) with the exception of the tech stocks I mentioned in the beginning;

nextbigthing
30-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Kaspar, have a read of the NZX50 - Good News! thread on the main NZX forum. Go back a couple of pages and there is a bit of talk and charting regarding where we're heading.

Happy investing!

Kaspar
30-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Not sure, whether I can comment on the ASX, not enough exposure ...

Looking at the NZX - I don't invest into the NZX, but into some stocks traded on the NZX. Looking at what's available - yes, there are some stocks appearing too dear. I wouldn't (and I don't) invest at current prices into most of the so called tech stocks (like PEB, XRO and WYN), despite the recent correction. DIL (another tech stock) looks currently not too bad on paper, but still can't convince myself to part with my money to buy shares in a company not even able to properly account for their money. Having all of the key players in the US doesn't help either.

Most Electricity Generators are probably still somewhat (but not hugely) undervalued (e.g. MRP, MELCA), and all somewhat dependent on the whim of the politicians.

Good read, thanks.

Kaspar, have a read of the NZX50 - Good News! thread on the main NZX forum. Go back a couple of pages and there is a bit of talk and charting regarding where we're heading.

Happy investing!

Ok thanks nbt, I'll take a look.