PDA

View Full Version : Brian Gaynor to speak in Christchurch

Earthling
08-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Brian Gaynor is to speak on 13 May at 7pm at the Russley Golf Club, 428 Memorial Ave., Christchurch.
This has been arranged by the NZ Shareholders Association. Cost for non-members of Shareholders Association: $10.

nextbigthing
08-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks Earthling. Do we need to register etc or just turn up?

robbo24
08-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Thank you for that

Earthling
08-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks Earthling. Do we need to register etc or just turn up?

No need toil register. Just turn up.

gloworm
08-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Earthling, can you share what the discount code for sharesight is?

Earthling
10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Hello gloworm,
There is a deal for a half-price subscription to sharesight for one year but it is for members of the shareholders association only. People who attend Brian Gaynor's talk can join the shareholders association for $100 for the first year instead of $125.

silverblizzard888
11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
How will they know if we are a member or not? Whats there to check?

Earthling
12-05-2014, 08:44 PM
How will they know if we are a member or not? Whats there to check?
silverblizzard888, they will have a list of members to check against.

Earthling
12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
During May and June members of the Shareholders Association can get 50% off the first year's subscription to Sharesight. This is a saving of $114 for the Investor version and $234 for the Expert version.

People who attend Brain Gaynor's Christchurch talk can join the Shareholders Association and pay $100 instead of $125 for the first year's subscription.

airedale
12-05-2014, 09:48 PM
What is Sharesight?

Harvey Specter
12-05-2014, 10:04 PM
What is Sharesight?
What is a Google?

airedale
12-05-2014, 10:19 PM
I once heard that if you google the word "google" then the internet collapses in to a black hole.:) But thanks for the {obvious} suggestion,Harvey

gloworm
12-05-2014, 10:27 PM
silverblizzard888, they will have a list of members to check against.

I doubt it is that sophisticated or even a manual task. It's more likely to be a generic code.

Harvey Specter
13-05-2014, 07:06 AM
What is Sharesight?for a more complete answer,

It is the best online portfolio tracker available. I use it and am extremely happy with it.

Earthling
13-05-2014, 01:19 PM
What is Sharesight?

Sharesight is a portfolio-tracking service. Below is what John Hawkins, Chairman of the Shareholders Association, wrote about Sharesight and the discount offer for members of the association. John uses it himself and has spoken highly of it. The saving on the Investor version is $114 and on the Expert version, which handles the FIF tax on foreign shares, is $234. Note that a year's subscription to the association costs $125 or, if you attend Brian Gaynor's talk this evening, $100. So if you want Sharesight the additional cost of joining the association is small or, in some cases, negative.

Members only Special Offer – track your portfolio efficiently and easily.

I am pleased to announce that NZSA has partnered with Sharesight to offer discounted access to their online portfolio manager. This powerful, highly automated web based system has all the functionality and reporting capabilities that investors need. Sharesight has been around long enough now to be recognised as a leader in its field. Sharesight is not normally discounted, but NZSA has been able to negotiate a very generous deal - only available to members and only for May and June 2014.

For those of you struggling with the high cost of tax compliance for your overseas holdings, Sharesight’s FIF reporting alone is well worth the full price expert version subscription. With this deal, it is an absolute bargain.

You can even try before you buy! Start with the Sharesight free plan. If you like what you see, you can sign for the full service and receive 50% off your first year’s annual subscription - a minimum saving of $114. To obtain the discount all you have to do is subscribe during May or June. If you own 10 shareholdings or fewer, you can continue to use Sharesight ABSOLUTELY free.
Sharesight is Wellington-based, and provides an exceptionally powerful, cost-effective solution to automatically track your portfolios. Sharesight will provide:

? Capital gains, dividends and currency movements in dollars and annualised percentages for each share and your whole portfolio
? One-click Tax reporting including FIF (Expert plan only)
? Automatic recording of all your trades, dividends and corporate actions
? Coverage of NZX, ASX, NYSE, NASDAQ, LSE and Managed Funds
? Xero connection - perfect for your accountant at tax time
? And a whole lot more besides
? Check their website www.sharesight.co.nz (http://www.sharesight.co.nz)

In addition, Sharesight has teamed up with Intelligent Investor to offer a FREE research report on the TradeMe Group Ltd. Sign up to any Sharesight plan today (even the free version), and you will receive this report straightaway.

Intelligent Investor is an independent research house, focusing on value investing. They don’t take payment, commissions, or kickbacks from the companies they review. Their success is directly tied to the quality of their research. They have a strong track record stretching back over a decade.

How do I sign up?
To take advantage of this offer, go to the members area of the NZSA website www.nzshareholders.co.nz (http://www.nzshareholders.co.nz) and follow the link. It’s that simple.
If you are not a member, sign up online and immediately be eligible for this offer.

John Hawkins
CHAIRMAN

Earthling
13-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I doubt it is that sophisticated or even a manual task. It's more likely to be a generic code.
Sorry gloworm I think I misinterpreted your question. I thought you were asking how they would know whether people who go to Brian Gaynor's talk were members of the association (and so don't have to pay to get in). I now think that in fact you were asking about the discount for Sharesight. To get the discount you click the link in the members area of the NZSA website, or alternatively register direct with Sharesight using a coupon code provided in the members area of the NZSA..

troyvdh
13-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Brian was great- stay invested
-some great IPO's coming up
-in NZ there are some 127NZ$Billion in deposits and SM worth 74....nuts
-Ozzy majors somewhat "tired"...retailing depressed
-do not stay in love with elderly care companies for ever....
-in his career (37 years) ..this period is the best he has seen for holding shares

-he came across as a really nice bloke...which we knew aleady probably

bohemian
13-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I was there as well. He was very positive about the NZ market. His points were well reasoned and dealt with questions clearly. He has given me confidence to maintain my investments in the local market. He certainly likes FPH.

silverblizzard888
14-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Brian's list of companies set for an IPO:

Intueri
Hirepool
Gentrack
Fronde
Power by Proxi
Serko
Orion Healthcare
SCH Hygiene Australia

SimonHouse
14-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks to all those there reporting to all of us on Sharetrader. Really appreciated

Harvey Specter
15-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks to all those there reporting to all of us on Sharetrader. Really appreciatedAnd now the official reporting:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/10045464/Investors-get-caution

A bit unusual as private meetings dont normally get reported.

Earthling
15-05-2014, 04:43 PM
And now the official reporting:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/10045464/Investors-get-caution

A bit unusual as private meetings dont normally get reported.

I thought that the tone of Brian Gaynor's talk was more positive than the writer of The Press article seemed to.

For example Brian Gaynor said that in 39 years he had never seen the situation better. He liked the fact that there was growth but not so much as to cause much of a rise in interest rates.

As an admirer of Brian Gaynor I was interested to see if I could get an idea of why he is so good, and guessed the following.

Businesses are people, Milford's staff are people and Brian Gaynor is a people person - he understands people. I wonder if he and his staff make so many company visits in order to better size up the people.

I wonder if Warren Buffett is also a people person; some of his wisdom certainly seems homespun.

percy
15-05-2014, 05:16 PM
I think Warren Buffett is a fantastic judge of people.
He not only understands business,but understands business people.I read he spends a great deal of his day talking to people.
The ChCh Press's coverage of meetings has been hopeless for years,so no surprises there.!!

troyvdh
15-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Earthling.I believe you are correct.Perhaps Marta (reporter) is not overly enamoured with folk like Brian Gaynor.As I said... he did indeed say that we were indeed a "sweet spot".

Re his visits...he did mention about the benefits of looking people "in the eye".

I thankyou for raising this issue.

SimonHouse
15-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm very grateful for the insights provided by Chch ST posters. Thanks all.

psychic
15-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah - what Simon said. Appreciated.

airedale
15-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Sometimes when I read what "business reporters" write in the papers I wonder how many shares they have ever bought or sold on their own account.

troyvdh
16-05-2014, 05:43 PM
One comment he made has stuck with me....."at anytime I/we may change our mind/views".
He admits to being an active investor....he loves it.He believes that (I assume) to get the best returns one cannot place SM investments in the "bottom drawer".
-re retirement companies....he is a little suspicious about the practice of landbanking....
-someone made a mention about the prolification of power companies...I believe that he made mention that "assumptions" were to be treated with caution..always..One point he made was who on earth would have invested in POT....when it floated...???

These observations are mine only and should not be taken as gospel.Perhaps others will continue to post theirs.Cheers

Harvey Specter
16-05-2014, 05:47 PM
-someone made a mention about the prolification of power companies...I believe that he made mention that "assumptions" were to be treated with caution..always..One point he made was who on earth would have invested in POT....when it floated...???
Whats your interpretation of this. Are you/he suggesting that the power companies MAY end up being a far better invt that people initially thought?

troyvdh
16-05-2014, 05:54 PM
HS...to be honest I cannot remember exactly what he said in reply (honestly he made so many comments/insights..like he was so relaxed..)...hopefully some others may recall more accurately ..sorry.

Earthling
17-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Whats your interpretation of this. Are you/he suggesting that the power companies MAY end up being a far better invt that people initially thought?

I recall that power companies were raised by a questioner who said that manufacturing is becoming more efficient and so needs less electricity. Brian Gaynor agreed with him. I don't remember the rest of what was said but I from that bit that I do remember it must have been negative overall about power companies, and I think it was.

Earthling
17-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Another questioner asked Brian Gaynor a question about particular Milford funds and Brian Gaynor said to talk to him later, and said "I'm not here to promote myself; I'm here to promote the shareholders association". He recommended joining the association and said that they produce a good magazine which he reads "back to front" (I guess he meant "front to back"). He said that they have reports on companies and they say negative things about companies. He said that sharebrokers won't say negative things because they will lose access to the company. The magazine in question is called "The Scrip" and comes out six times per year.

Earthling
17-05-2014, 08:01 AM
I want to tidy up my last two posts as I find I had made some notes relevant to them.

Re the power companies I have noted that the questioner said that the electricity sector is not doing well because manufacturing is more efficient. Brian Gaynor agreed with this comment. In fact I think he said "You're right". From memory he might have gone on to add that the situation might change.

His comment about the Shareholders Association magazine was made in response to a question "How do you assess people?". My notes say "Shareholders Association. Says +ve & -ve". I think he must have said "Join the Shareholders Association ... its magazine says positive and negative things about companies".

He also said that he belongs to the Shareholders Association.