PDA

View Full Version : The Journeys of Sisyphus

winner69
19-05-2014, 07:06 PM
A little story -

“The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly roll a stone to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. At the very end of his effort measured by skyless space and time without depth, the purpose is achieved. Then Sisyphus watches the stone rush down in a few moments toward that lower world whence he will have to push it up again toward the summit. If this myth is tragic, that is because its hero is conscious. Where would his torture be, indeed, if at every step the hope of succeeding upheld him? … Sisyphus, proletarian of the gods, powerless and rebellious, knows the extent of his wretched condition: it is what he thinks of during his descent.”

What it leads to
http://hussman.net/wmc/wmc140519.htm

Maybe Hussman is Paper Tigers owner - I’m sometimes viewed as an evil quant, sitting in a dimly lit room, stroking a hairless cat ironically named Mr. Whiskers....

And the last bit of misery -

......for those who find our work to be a constant source of irritation to be regarded with open disdain, I am retracting all my guidance herewith – for you alone mind you – and I leave you free to buy with both hands to whatever extent you are inclined. Not that I encourage it really – that would be bad Karma – but someone is going to have to hold equities at these prices. It would best be those who are fully aware of our concerns and prefer to reject them. So the more you dislike my work, and particularly if you are nasty about it, I have no objection to you accumulating – perhaps on margin – as much stock from other investors as possible.

sommelier
19-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Check out those returns on the funds page!

Snow Leopard
19-05-2014, 07:21 PM
...Maybe Hussman is Paper Tigers owner - I’m sometimes viewed as an evil quant, sitting in a dimly lit room, stroking a hairless cat ironically named Mr. Whiskers...

Paper Tiger is Paper Tigers owner.

[I have the full permission of my partner to post the above]

Snow Leopard
19-05-2014, 07:23 PM
....and I am not hairless

Best Wishes
Paper Tiger

troyvdh
19-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Dear Winner thanks for that ..my son is studying such a period of history..I will refer your quote to him and ......

Why the Doom...does not the "market ..climb a wall of worrie...."

PS Disclosure I could be wrong.

winner69
19-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Check out those returns on the funds page!

Not that good eh, but everybody can't be as tclever as us can they sommelier

He would say on a risk adjusted basis he done ok ....we just take too much risk to do better than him

Then again he might have the last laugh if all the gains of the last few years are wiped out

Whipmoney
20-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Not that good eh, but everybody can't be as tclever as us can they sommelier

He would say on a risk adjusted basis he done ok ....we just take too much risk to do better than him

Then again he might have the last laugh if all the gains of the last few years are wiped out

On a risk adjusted basis he has done ****e.. If he made a negative return taking a low level of risk then he would have been better of advocating that his investors put their money in (risk-free) US Treasuries.

Also i'm surprised he made such poor returns over the 1-3 year period considering the Nasdaq bounced back over 50% since Aug 2011.

Basically this guy can't generate ANY Alpha period.

winner69
20-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Maybe it's a case of being too clever and knowing too much

Me, I just go for absolute returns but then can't even be bothered calculating it

Alpha implies you are prepared to lose money when markets go down, just not as much as others might