PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend a week on your investments?

Buffett Jr
18-06-2014, 11:39 AM
This includes researching, monitoring, filing, consulting, tax, etc.

I'm just wanting to know about direct share investments, not term deposits, managed funds, etc.

Snoopy
20-06-2014, 02:37 PM

I'm just wanting to know about direct share investments, not term deposits, managed funds, etc.

I am going to change the question into

"How much time should you spend on your share investments?"

Those of you who have read my posts will know that a possess a decent analytical tool box, even if sometimes the tools get misused! So I find it quite easy to spend too much time analysing things. Lately I have been looking at how to simplify my fundamental share analysis workload.

My new philosophy is to spend as little time as 'reasonable', but no less than that.

It should be obvious that a 'reasonable' time is not the same for all share investments. To lower my workload and to keep things benchmarked, my preference is to hold shares in two different companies in any sector in which I choose to invest. The reasoning here is that quote often a competitors report will provide enlightenment that staring all evening at a single report does not deliver.

Another tip is to pick simple companies to invest in, like those that operate in a single business sector, rather than being conglomerates. I am gradually getting better at this but I have to say my path to spending less time on analysing shares is incomplete.

SNOOPY

Buffett Jr
20-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I am going to change the question into

"How much time should you spend on your share investments?"

Those of you who have read my posts will know that a possess a decent analytical tool box, even if sometimes the tools get misused! So I find it quite easy to spend too much time analysing things. Lately I have been looking at how to simplify my fundamental share analysis workload.

My new philosophy is to spend as little time as 'reasonable', but no less than that.

It should be obvious that a 'reasonable' time is not the same for all share investments. To lower my workload and to keep things benchmarked, my preference is to hold shares in two different companies in any sector in which I choose to invest. The reasoning here is that quote often a competitors report will provide enlightenment that staring all evening at a single report does not deliver.

Another tip is to pick simple companies to invest in, like those that operate in a single business sector, rather than being conglomerates. I am gradually getting better at this but I have to say my path to spending less time on analysing shares is incomplete.

SNOOPY

Why do you need to own the competitors shares to read the annual report.

For example I wouldn't own both Contact Energy and Genesis Energy just so I can read the free annual report.

Snoopy
20-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Why do you need to own the competitors shares to read the annual report.

For example I wouldn't own both Contact Energy and Genesis Energy just so I can read the free annual report.

There is nothing more motivating for keeping on top of things than having 'skin in the game'!

SNOOPY

PS Actually I find the electronic versions of annual reports difficult to deal with. You can't make notes on them or put in bookmarks. Then when you have five open at once you get easily confused as to which tab relates to which pdf file.

If you actually own the shares it becomes that much harder for management to deny you a hard copy.

percy
21-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I too need the hard copy.When I come to "refer note.1a" I like to go straight to it.With pdf I get lost.
Time.Maybe an hour to two hours a day.More when I have a lot of half year and full year results to read.I am busy with my own work the first half of the year,so do not spend as much time as I should doing research until the second half of the year.I have two watch lists.I watch approx. 80 or more companies here and in Australia.Both watch lists alert me to company news. I find it important to read the announcements straight away.I usually know what I am looking for so can react immediately,either adding to my holding or selling.I also attend as many broker presentations and AGM's as I can.I find after reading an annual report or an announcement,if I can't understand something a quick phone call to either the CEO or CFO clears up my concern.If you ask sensible questions you get sensible answers.People give away more information on the phone than they ever will with an email.

JBmurc
21-06-2014, 11:39 AM

between 30hrs to 0hrs per week ----- average somewhere in the middle

James108
23-06-2014, 06:42 PM
There is nothing more motivating for keeping on top of things than having 'skin in the game'!

SNOOPY

PS Actually I find the electronic versions of annual reports difficult to deal with. You can't make notes on them or put in bookmarks. Then when you have five open at once you get easily confused as to which tab relates to which pdf file.

If you actually own the shares it becomes that much harder for management to deny you a hard copy.

You tried investing in a printer m8? (or using a printer at work).