PDA

View Full Version : Is it WONG to make a joke

fergus
12-08-2014, 07:05 AM
The whole country is turning into a PC Namby Pamby old woman crabby humourless state. Good Gawd they say he got away scot free with that even when it comes to murderers. Is it because we gave the vote to woman who seem more PC on average than men. OOPS some people might take offence especially Susan Devoy who in my opinion is doing her best to earn the sack. Being Scottish makes me the butt of many jokes which I find rather amusing. FERGUS

craic
12-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Try being Irish. But I take solace in the fact that most irish jokes started in the US as Polish jokes and were then altered to Jewish jokes by the Germans so they were pretty well worn by the time they got to us. But if you really want to see the worms come out of the woodwork, try re-telling some of these jokes as Maori jokes - you will be up before the tribunal before the ink is dry.

macduffy
12-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Yes, we have turned into an overly PC society, fergus but that's no excuse for regurgitating an elderly "joke" that had its origins in dislike of a particular race. And let's not muddy the waters debating the average IQ's or tendency to PCness of the sexes. But I agree that we don't need a race relations commissioner of whatever race or sex - I have sufficient faith in the NZ community to recognise discrimination where and when it occurs and to respond against it.

fungus pudding
12-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Yes, we have turned into an overly PC society, fergus but that's no excuse for regurgitating an elderly "joke" that had its origins in dislike of a particular race. And let's not muddy the waters debating the average IQ's or tendency to PCness of the sexes. But I agree that we don't need a race relations commissioner of whatever race or sex - I have sufficient faith in the NZ community to recognise discrimination where and when it occurs and to respond against it.

Of course we don't need a race relations conciliator. Especially the current one who is right out of her depth. I seriously doubt that anyone was offended by Peter's remarks. I also seriously doubt that anyone thought such a corny worn out old bit of playground nonsense was funny.

winner69
12-08-2014, 08:03 AM
And no more Shylock comments please

Shakespeare needs to meet the same fate as Enid Blyton methinks

God forbid if someone called Cunliffe Noddy

Banksie
12-08-2014, 04:53 PM
The sly old fella acheived exactly what he wanted with that comment, TV minutes, and newspaper column inches.

Right or wrong - it should have just been ignored.

Longhaul
12-08-2014, 06:16 PM
The sly old fella acheived exactly what he wanted with that comment, TV minutes, and newspaper column inches.

Right or wrong - it should have just been ignored.

Yes, as I told a workmate yesterday, Winnie is like a real-life troll and should just be ignored (unless I guess, you vote for him).

craic
27-08-2015, 07:37 AM
For some time now I have been intrigued by a TV ad "JUST SPRAY AND WALK AWAY" where the main character is clearly a caricature of a Japanese man with thick glasses - all Japanese are short sighted - and a great mouthful of front teeth that make it impossible for him to speak properly. This is clearly the characteristic of the Japanese as portrayed in WW2 propaganda that I remember from that far back. As an Irishman I am used to racial stereotypes and seldom offended by Irish jokes but often offended by the tellers who would like you to think that the joke was a product of their wit and not something they read but where the hell is Suzan Devoy in relation to this ad?

Joshuatree
27-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Actor won't walk away | Stuff.co.nz (https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwiD9ae50sfHAhWE3aYKHZLoCCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fsunday-news%2Flatest-edition%2F295222%2FActor-won-t-walk-away&ei=IineVYPcG4S7mwWS0aPAAg&usg=AFQjCNEfJG41VsJ_K0SfmYPUgAh76alpRQ&sig2=FFizZFBsL0FhTcxeUTpQZA)

Joshuatree
27-08-2015, 08:11 AM
heres some funny but pc jokes enjoy:)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34039927 (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34039927)