PDA

View Full Version : Apn nz ipo?

macduffy
01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Any takers? (If it happens.)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11317198

01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
The Herald is now rubbish. May be they know that and want money out while they can

Marilyn Munroe
01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Will they include The Radio Network to make this IPO digestible?

Boop boop de do
Marilyn

Harvey Specter
01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Will they include The Radio Network to make this IPO digestible?Apparently so. And the Grabone business.

Interesting they would sell before the monetise the website/app. Probably realised they cant do before Stuff without losing too much market share. Lets be honest, ho would pay to read NZHearld online.

Hawkeye
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I like to nz herald for a quick look at the headlines, would i pay for it.... no.
If they had it set up like the NBR, they may get takers, but not me

dingoNZ
01-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Apparently so. And the Grabone business.

Interesting they would sell before the monetise the website/app. Probably realised they cant do before Stuff without losing too much market share. Lets be honest, ho would pay to read NZHearld online.

Grabone too? Interesting.

Will be watching this.

Harvey Specter
01-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I like to nz herald for a quick look at the headlines, would i pay for it.... no.
If they had it set up like the NBR, they may get takers, but not meExactly, if you had to pay, you would just switch to Stuff to review the headlines.

If they want to be able to charge, they either need to get more exclusive content, and/or more indepth investigations.

Hawkeye
08-10-2014, 12:46 PM
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/apn-nz-arm-inches-towards-splitting-cs-p-163615

percy
08-10-2014, 01:29 PM
If they had it set up like the NBR, they may get takers, but not me

I used to enjoy reading The Australian,until they wanted me to pay.
Don't miss it at all !

GTM 3442
09-10-2014, 01:20 AM
I have electronic-only subscriptions to a number of US, UK, Canadian, Indian and European newspapers. Also a number of magazines.

They generally represent good value. When I look at the pricing for the NBR, I am reminded why I am not a subscriber. IF APN are going to move to a paywall model,they sure as h*ll are going to have to dramatically improve the content.

Otherwise it won't be long before WhaleOil Media are picking up the pieces, cheap as chips.

(I suspect that this will not happen, and that Stuff will "win" by default, leading to a gouging monopoly.)

Harvey Specter
09-10-2014, 09:02 AM
(I suspect that this will not happen, and that Stuff will "win" by default, leading to a gouging monopoly.)Im not sure how they will get it past the ComCom but I heard they were planning in introducing paywalls at the same time.

It will be interesting to read the prospectus - they have a lot of complex transtasman structuring which will need to be unwound. At one point, they had technically sold the NZHerald masthead to a bank in Europe.

GTM 3442
09-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Im not sure how they will get it past the ComCom but I heard they were planning in introducing paywalls at the same time.

I take your point. A mutual suicide pact would probably be as illegal as any other form of "assisted dying".

Hawkeye
10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
So if this goes ahead will the APN currently listed on the NZX change its name and become NZME? Or will another IPO happen?

The Real Bud Fox
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
So if this goes ahead will the APN currently listed on the NZX change its name and become NZME? Or will another IPO happen?

Another IPO. APN will own shares in NZME.

Hawkeye
10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
So really its just a way to pass the debt?

Chaowee88
10-10-2014, 12:03 PM
So really its just a way to pass the debt?

There is a lot of debt but the company is still profitable so if the price is right there is still value there

Harvey Specter
10-10-2014, 01:23 PM
There is a lot of debt but the company is still profitable so if the price is right there is still value thereAPN NZ hasn't paid a $ of tax in its life as far as I'm aware.

It does have strong cashflows so will be interesting to see how they structure it.

luigi
11-05-2016, 03:32 PM
· NZME will demerge from its Australian parent APN
· NZME will list on NZX and ASX in late June
· Commerce Commission approval to be sought for merger between NZME and Fairfax NZ
· If the merger is approved, Fairfax NZ's assets will be folded into the listed NZ company NZME later this year
· Fairfax will take a shareholding in the listed NZME assuming commission approval is granted.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11637176 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11637176)