PDA

View Full Version : Simple Pleasures

okay
24-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Something brought a smile to my face today, and no it wasn't my shares going up.

I have a small garden where I live and about a couple of months ago I noticed a small plant with furry silvery leaves growing. I could have easily pulled it up along with the other weeds, but I was intrigued by it as I had no idea what it was. I certainly hadn't planted it.

I have watched it growing happily there on and off since then, and yesterday I noticed some buds on it just about to break open. Today some of them opened fully to reveal cute delicate white flowers with pink centres. Better than expected.

I still am not sure what this flower species is but appreciated this free gift, most likely dropped off by the wind or some passing bird. Simple pleasures:)

BIRMANBOY
24-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Simple in appearance but not necessarily so simple to appreciate so thank you for sharing.
Something brought a smile to my face today, and no it wasn't my shares going up.

I have a small garden where I live and about a couple of months ago I noticed a small plant with furry silvery leaves growing. I could have easily pulled it up along with the other weeds, but I was intrigued by it as I had no idea what it was. I certainly hadn't planted it.

I have watched it growing happily there on and off since then, and yesterday I noticed some buds on it just about to break open. Today some of them opened fully to reveal cute delicate white flowers with pink centres. Better than expected.

I still am not sure what this flower species is but appreciated this free gift, most likely dropped off by some passing bird. Simple pleasures:)

Beagle
24-10-2014, 02:18 PM
We have three handsome Sidney Silky Terriers, (all boys otherwise we'd have a big problem lol). Going upstairs from my office after a hard day working and wasting time posting on here, (the commute home is tough :D) and seeing all their waggly tails and giving them a good patting and enjoying a good home cooked dinner the Mrs has made me and then setting in to watch the news followed by a good movie afterwards with one or two of them on my lap does it for me most nights.

okay
24-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Nice one Roger. Thanks Birmanboy.

BIRMANBOY
24-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Got ya Roger..exchange your Silky's for my Birmans and we could be twins.:)
We have three handsome Sidney Silky Terriers, (all boys otherwise we'd have a big problem lol). Going upstairs from my office after a hard day working and wasting time posting on here, (the commute home is tough :D) and seeing all their waggly tails and giving them a good patting and enjoying a good home cooked dinner the Mrs has made me and then setting in to watch the news followed by a good movie afterwards with one or two of them on my lap does it for me most nights.

Beagle
24-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Got ya Roger..exchange your Silky's for my Birmans and we could be twins.:)

Sounds like you're a gentleman that's mastered the fine art of contentment.
Speaking of which despite my preference for dogs in a way I have a bob each way. One of my Sydney Silky's with especially soft fur is a real softie and he will settle in on my lap for hours. Every time he does this I swear he's like a hybrid cat-dog because his fur is so soft and when I stroke him I'd almost bet money he'll start purring one day :)

Minerbarejet
24-10-2014, 04:10 PM
There is no damn way that our smelly Old Overweight Huntaway Cross Bitch is climbing on my lap to watch TV. Cant imagine anything worse than sitting there watching endless reruns of Country Calendar with all those handsome hardworking male dogs doing barking and stuff. We lost the remote anyway in 2012 or was it 11?:)

BIRMANBOY
24-10-2014, 04:31 PM
MBJ that's just disrespectful to your faithful canine companion...you should be ashamed to be a man!. That's the trouble with cute little puppies...they forget they grew up. Personally I loved watching Country Calendar..the intro music was just so appropriate and it was a real learning experience for a townie.
There is no damn way that our smelly Old Overweight Huntaway Cross Bitch is climbing on my lap to watch TV. Cant imagine anything worse than sitting there watching endless reruns of Country Calendar with all those handsome hardworking male dogs doing barking and stuff. We lost the remote anyway in 2012 or was it 11?:)

percy
24-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Not so simple but certainly a lot of pleasure.On Sunday the wife and I drove down to Cromwell.On Monday I dropped off book displays at Cromwell and Wanaka schools.Collected them on Tuesday and drove to Twizel and saw the community library there on Wedneday morning,returning to ChCh in the afternoon.
We live in a beautiful country,great people,nice places to stay at, and very good book sales.I think I have the best job in NZ.
The landscape is changing very quickly with irrigation.Surprised to see a sheep farm using irrigation.

Beagle
24-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Beautiful part of the country, no question about it !!

Minerbarejet
24-10-2014, 05:41 PM
MBJ that's just disrespectful to your faithful canine companion...you should be ashamed to be a man!. That's the trouble with cute little puppies...they forget they grew up. Personally I loved watching Country Calendar..the intro music was just so appropriate and it was a real learning experience for a townie.
I actually enjoyed the way it was.
Suspect the K9 may have eaten the remote but I didnt have enough for an xray after an 800 dollar bill to get a cyst removed off her hind leg. I am definitely not flavour of the month atm although I did get a wag this morning from our mobile food processor and security system.
And the pink cherries have finally blossomed, looks almost Japanese around here in Taranaki. Rhodos are not far away now.

BIRMANBOY
24-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Hah..funny but potentially cruel so not kosher. Vet bills can be cruel as well...but get offset by low use of the clothing budget. I think you will find if you press on the right side of the lower abdomen that's the record button. Yes my partner is visiting a friend in new Plymouth next week for some romping through the rhododendrons
I actually enjoyed the way it was.
Suspect the K9 may have eaten the remote but I didnt have enough for an xray after an 800 dollar bill to get a cyst removed off her hind leg. I am definitely not flavour of the month atm although I did get a wag this morning from our mobile food processor and security system.
And the pink cherries have finally blossomed, looks almost Japanese around here in Taranaki. Rhodos are not far away now.

Minerbarejet
25-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Hah..funny but potentially cruel so not kosher. Vet bills can be cruel as well...but get offset by low use of the clothing budget. I think you will find if you press on the right side of the lower abdomen that's the record button. Yes my partner is visiting a friend in new Plymouth next week for some romping through the rhododendronsSo what are all the other buttons for?:)

craic
25-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Sounds like my place is a nightmare manufactured from the posts above. A black Labrodor who demands regular attention but does not like sitting on my knee - she gets upset at the language I use. A laptop I bought with Windows 8.1 on my lap which I can not understand or operate properly and which can be totally confused by the labrador placing her head on the keyboard for a pat. But I can't pat her from that side because my left hand is useless and my brain sodden with painkillers due to an over friendly concrete mixer. I was putting in concrete steps on a steep part of the property so the other half could get up and down and I was down the bottom trowelling a step when the mixer decided to to break its holding rope and deliver the next lot of concrete itself. I don't remember much but my left hand was badly bent and I had an hour fighting with ropes and pulleys tied to my truck getting the Machine back up and cleaned of concrete. As to the little birds that visit, native woodpidgeons eat more chicken food than the chicken and the others distribute every known type of weed to my vege garden - daily.

lab

BIRMANBOY
25-10-2014, 10:45 AM
As they say...OMG...since this thread is to extoll the simple pleasures of LIFE ..let me expand on an alternative (thankfully averted) result. So Craic is busily trowelling away and having his back to the concrete mixer doesn't notice its barrelling straight towards him, turns around (too late) and is liverpudlian kissed by the death dealing mixer. The mixer is intent on filling the boxing for the step so is thankful that part of it is taken up by Craic's noggin and upper torso. Craic is unfortunately unconscious and imbibes a little too much concrete. Mrs. Craic goes out looking for her hubby later in the afternoon and is faced with a freshly hardened step artistically embellished by several legs and the back half of what looks like it could have been a concrete mixer. Craic....I fear for your hoped for birthday greeting from the Queen. If its not the trees, axes or other machinery of mass destruction..you have now added another option to test your resilience. Hope your hand is feeling better..try afew more glasses of your Glennfiddhick to dull the pain.
Sounds like my place is a nightmare manufactured from the posts above. A black Labrodor who demands regular attention but does not like sitting on my knee - she gets upset at the language I use. A laptop I bought with Windows 8.1 on my lap which I can not understand or operate properly and which can be totally confused by the labrador placing her head on the keyboard for a pat. But I can't pat her from that side because my left hand is useless and my brain sodden with painkillers due to an over friendly concrete mixer. I was putting in concrete steps on a steep part of the property so the other half could get up and down and I was down the bottom trowelling a step when the mixer decided to to break its holding rope and deliver the next lot of concrete itself. I don't remember much but my left hand was badly bent and I had an hour fighting with ropes and pulleys tied to my truck getting the Machine back up and cleaned of concrete. As to the little birds that visit, native woodpidgeons eat more chicken food than the chicken and the others distribute every known type of weed to my vege garden - daily.

lab