sharetrader
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    The Wolf of Sharetrader
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    On my Superyacht
    Posts
    1,286

    Default USD vs RUB Russian Ruble

    After five relatively stable years the Ruble is taking a hammering.

    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...to=USD&view=5Y

  2. #2
    Senior Member Valuegrowth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    These are not abnormal. We will see these types of currency crisis time to time at different part of this world due to so many factors and according to the situation. After euro, yen and rubal we may see fall in NZD and AUD next. In addition to USD some Asian emerging and frontier currencies also should go up or should stay strong in 2015 and 2016. Just like other assets currencies also have cycles.

    My ideas are not a recommendation to either buy or sell any security, commodity or currency. Please do your own research prior to making any investment decisions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Valuegrowth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JV0L520141218

    Russian ruble firms sharply as government pressures exporters

  4. #4
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastern BoP..
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JV0L520141218

    Russian ruble firms sharply as government pressures exporters
    So many people do not understand the Russians..

    To much one sided news .

    Putin has 80% of the peoples backing..

    Obama about 38% With a Tele-prompter for guidance .

    It is Rouble by the way ..

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastern BoP..
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post

    Obama about 38% With a Tele-prompter for guidance . ..
    Is Obama suffering Alzheimers.. ??

    He has forgotten all of his promises :-))

    Putin and the Rouble are more than a match V the FED !!.. Imho ..

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    So many people do not understand the Russians..

    To much one sided news .

    Putin has 80% of the peoples backing..

    Obama about 38% With a Tele-prompter for guidance .

    It is Rouble by the way ..
    Not surprising with over 50% of workers who are dependent on the government for their pay packet ...... and if you are like my cousins who get told vote Putin or lose your teaching job.

  7. #7
    The Wolf of Sharetrader
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    On my Superyacht
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sashadidi View Post
    Not surprising with over 50% of workers who are dependent on the government for their pay packet ...... and if you are like my cousins who get told vote Putin or lose your teaching job.
    So how does the extended family feel about what's going on over there at the moment Sashadidi?

  8. #8
    The Wolf of Sharetrader
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    On my Superyacht
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Is Obama suffering Alzheimers.. ??

    He has forgotten all of his promises :-))

    Putin and the Rouble are more than a match V the FED !!.. Imho ..
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/102281291

    Interesting article, worth a read

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Putin and the Rouble are more than a match V the FED !!..
    Lol, definitely quote of thd month.

    You know that Putin is stocking up on gold in order to counteract the roubles fall eh? Guess what commodity is going to be beaten all to hell next?

    There's nowhere Putin can hide. He'd better start think about what Gary Kasparov has to say...

    http://reason.com/blog/2014/12/14/vi...an-garry-kaspa

    It's a game of chess and Putins losing his bigger pieces AND being outmaneuvered into a CHECK situation.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    After a brief fall back to 45 Roubles per USD, we are now back to 60 after Russian companies have finished buying up RUB for end of year purposes and a contraction in November of 0.5%. This is only the start.

    Oil is still tanking as well. Lower we go after a brief respite!

  11. #11
    The Wolf of Sharetrader
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    On my Superyacht
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    After a brief fall back to 45 Roubles per USD, we are now back to 60 after Russian companies have finished buying up RUB for end of year purposes and a contraction in November of 0.5%. This is only the start.

    Oil is still tanking as well. Lower we go after a brief respite!
    Yeah exactly. This is one interesting game of global chess. Last time Putin responded by placing controls on what large companies could do with foreign reserves and using their foreign stores to buy Ruble. But here it goes again. What is he going to do to hold it this time? How many more cards can he play?

    Perhaps the US will keep this pressure until Putin is voted out and then it's time to buy up big?

    There was a great article in the Herald about a possible successor who had spend ten years in the Gulag.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    The only choice Putin has left is pure price controls. I wouldn't rule it out with this twisted egomaniacal ex-KGB fool. That should mark a bottom if it does happen, but the economy will be in tatters if it does!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Yeah exactly. This is one interesting game of global chess. Last time Putin responded by placing controls on what large companies could do with foreign reserves and using their foreign stores to buy Ruble. But here it goes again. What is he going to do to hold it this time? How many more cards can he play?

    Perhaps the US will keep this pressure until Putin is voted out and then it's time to buy up big?

    There was a great article in the Herald about a possible successor who had spend ten years in the Gulag.
    Its a combination of a economy that was already stagnating and had failed to diversify into a mercantile economy like China in the good old days of high oil income , instead it has gone into useless state "projects" , miltary and or been exported to a more "safer" environment...
    The Saudis are giving the USA shale boys and by default the Russians a lesson and then there is the sanctions which former Finance minister Kudrin says is contributing 30% to the fall, luckily they had him for a few years and have that reserve fund, boy are they going to need it.
    The relatives tell me everything up 40% (ruble prices) or more, shops holding back imported wine and chocolate etc until New year so as to extort higher prices in the main holiday season which is New year and Russian Christmas on 7th January each year
    Putins cronies are breaking the sanctions by importing fish and cheese into Belarus "repacking" it to say product of Belarus and onward selling it to Russia, it has just opened up another revenue stream for the connected people to skim more off the top and the poor ordinary people just suffer as before. Russians have a great ability to "suffer" but boy if they reach the end of the road it will not be pretty and if they ever did revolt this time will flow over into Europe a lot more than 1917.
    Putin has made sure the political landscape is bare and no real opposition parties exist in the form to threaten him at present and the main media will not support or advance anyone else to the level needed for a change
    You may think vote Putin out, it is not as simple he will not go and you have to think seriously who will replace him , he may be not everyone"s cup of tea but boy it could be a lot worse, just check out who is who over there in the parliament/ruling elite etc......
    be careful what you wish for!!!
    Funny I clearly remember early in year 2000 my wifes boss in the Russian hospital where she worked was a ex KGB doctor and he said then nothing good will come to Russia with him (KGB boy) in power.......
    Last edited by sashadidi; 30-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Cheers SD, always good to see what it's like on the ground rather than reading news all the time!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •