sharetrader

View Poll Results: Kiwi / Aussie exchange rate where too from here in 2015 ?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 95-96 cents is as good as its gets and it'll head back down a bit in 2015

19 37.25%
  • It'll probably stay around current level's

4 7.84%
  • We'll hit parity some time in 2015

14 27.45%
  • The Kiwi will be worth more than the aussie at some stage in 2015

14 27.45%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    If you read the figures published when the closures were announced, it would have been cheaper to shut up shop 5 years ago and for the govt. to give every employee a million dollars. Transfer pricing or not - they wouldn't shut up shop if there was a choice, but even with subsidies etc. it just doesn't stack. Australian labour rates are simply too high. Labour rates have also killed off the bulk of car production in Germany.
    Agreed. I think another big issue is the dramatic reduction in volume in the large car sector which now accounts for only 8% of all vehicle sales and declining rapidly. Nobody could have foreseen that five years ago and its always perfect 20/20 vision with hindsight. That and only selling to a niche market in Australian and N.Z. was always going to be a recipe for disaster one day. Unrealistic labour rates are killing all sorts of manufacturing in Australia. What I keep hearing is aussies and their unions demanding that they need to earn XYZ an hour to afford to live in many of the cities in Australia with their sky high real estate and rental prices. Something's gotta give. That said Auckland real estate prices and rents are also now a major issue for a large proportion of young folks.

Mac Yep bound to have some effect except for the fact that we're far from the only economy staring down the barrel of a period of deflation, including Australia and much of Europe.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-01-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Banned

Well it's more a matter of weighing all the multiple pertinent influences is it not;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11384323

Banned

Anybody want to host a parity party if it does happen???

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Anybody want to host a parity party if it does happen???
    I guess not but its looking more and more likely we'll hit par sometime this year.

I think if we are going to it will need to be in the next month or three as I think we will start seeing a deterioration in the NZ economy later in the year coming from the farming sector.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Majority of businesses surveyed expected NZD/AUD parity. Can we keep some hope in 2016 at least?

Next to nil hope IMHO ....more likely to see low 80's than high 90's
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Next to nil hope IMHO ....more likely to see low 80's than high 90's
    Thank you JBmurc.