sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default NZX & The Big Housing Bubble

Crumbs, all these NZ real estate companies now flooding into China to entice all 1.4 billion Chinese to buy houses in Auckland, I’m not sure they will all get one each, but certainly the ones that do seem willing to pay a whatever price.

Other countries have a foreign ownership registers and restrictions on ownership, but New Zealand it seems is totally wide open for business, speculation and an uncontrolled boom, and apparently it’s just the beginning, but what happens when they all want to go, can't put those houses on a boat.

The councils are opening up land for a flood of supply, the RMA is being modified for a flood of supply, house hold debt levels linger close to all-time highs, there is an ever increasing culture of wanting to “get on the property ladder” with 5% mortgages, and mortgage rates are presently in a dip but may snap back steeply soon enough.

Then there is the mater of the baby boomers with 73% their savings in property. This is a much much bigger issue in NZ because of the local historical obsession with real estate investment. New Zealand boomers pumped more cash into it than any other country, and from here on forward they will now suck it out as income.

It’s a recipe that’s looking like more fun than the kid’s bubble bath, might even be a more interesting watch than a Dutch tulip action ?

So which NZX companies are most at risk ?

Retirement villages RYM, SUM, MET with up to 45% of their annual income presently derived from fair value movement in investment properties ?

The ARG, DNZ, GMT, KPG, PCT, PFI and VHP type property investment companies ?

Other companies with significant land holdings perhaps AIA, MELCO etc ?
    Last edited by MAC; 14-02-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    Crumbs, all these NZ real estate companies now flooding into China to entice all 1.4 billion Chinese to buy houses in Auckland, I’m not sure they will all get one each, but certainly the ones that do seem willing to pay a whatever price.

Other countries have a foreign ownership registers and restrictions on ownership, but New Zealand it seems is totally wide open for business, speculation and an uncontrolled boom, and apparently it’s just the beginning, but what happens when they all want to go, can't put those houses on a boat.

The councils are opening up land for a flood of supply, the RMA is being modified for a flood of supply, house hold debt levels linger close to all-time highs, there is an ever increasing culture of wanting to “get on the property ladder” with 5% mortgages, and mortgage rates are presently in a dip but may snap back steeply soon enough.

Then there is the mater of the baby boomers with 73% their savings in property. This is a much much bigger issue in NZ because of the local historical obsession with real estate investment. New Zealand boomers pumped more cash into it than any other country, and from here on forward they will now suck it out as income.

It’s a recipe that’s looking like more fun than the kid’s bubble bath, might even be a more interesting watch than a Dutch tulip action ?

Retirement villages RYM, SUM, MET with up to 45% of their annual income presently derived from fair value movement in investment properties ?

As all markets businesses and Govt rely on available money...if NZ money evaporates due to a NZ crises (e.g Property), there is no place to hide in NZ, everything and everybody will be affected...the rich will get poorer and the poor stay poor ....The headlines will read "the rich and greedy finally get what they deserve".....but there is a trickle down lag effect, and eventually it will reach the "Ha Ha, it won't effect me" group, the lazy, the bludgers, the poor, the beneficiaries, the eldery, the chronic indebtor, and all other groups with no assets...They will be the hardest hit group ..re austerity affect e.g Greece..

Equity Markets are a leading indicator..so this area will recover first approximately 2/3rds through a recession/depression period, about the same time as the lag effect reaches that "Ha Ha, it wont effect me" group above...the headlines will read "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where's the justice?"..
    Last edited by Hoop; 14-02-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Hi Mac..do you think the Chinese would be interested in Seabed mining..
    cks

Banned

lol, you should probably write to Chris, he'd probably be on a plane tomorrow

I m sure Chinese would love to mine it's seabed.
    Anyway, looking forward to the housing bubble burst. So I can get a couple more investment. I don't have property shares.

Membaa

Perhaps this should say AK & CH Big Housing Bubble?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dino4abcoach View Post
    as per the last shock, the listed property dropped a bit but they were not too badly hit as they are conservatively geared as opposed to retail rental home owners or speculators , Most also only pay 90% of net income, DNZ KPG so also have a little buffer.
    I think when the correction comes in Auckland and its only Auckland as the rest of the country is ok they will be fine
    Kiwi Income was $1.65 in March 2007; it was $0.97 in March 2009. I had a small investment in it. It was my worst performing investment over the period and saw a much greater fall than residential housing. Even today it (now KPG) is only $1.34
    Last edited by Bjauck; 14-02-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Unhappy

lol, you should probably write to Chris, he'd probably be on a plane tomorrow
    mac
    Its interesting when engaging in discussion about property market the deep seated denial that many have. I believe we are on the edge of an economic precipice regarding the Auckland property market. Property crashes, slumps, corrections, however you describe it, have severe economic consequences. Unlike sharemarket corrections they last longer and have far reaching consequences as more people are exposed to it. I well remember my first mortgage application. It was 1981. The house I was interested in buying cost $28000 and I had a deposit of $10000. I was employed, regular income, no other debts, good credit history etc. I was declined after waiting two weeks , as , according to the manager of the Otago Savings Bank, the government had reduced the amount banks could lend. Contrast that to today. My local branch of Westpac looks more like a real lestate branch. They are always encouraging you to borrow more. How will this all end? Who knows, but I for one am very concerned.
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 14-02-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Banned

I think you may be right Sgt, and maybe it’s not a bad thing to have a secular bear market in housing for a couple of decades anyway, things don't go up forever.

I’m told there is poverty in Auckland, I don’t really like that word much as it just implies Africa to me, and things really aren’t quite as bad as Ethiopia, but even so a lot of folk are being squeezed because of the cost of dwellings.

But, if over time land valuations stabilise or even better drop, there will be very many better off, wealthier too, perhaps better motivated to put retained savings to more constructive work in retirement funds or as investments in small business, rather than just inflating land prices which helps nobody much really over the long run, all that trapped cash under ones feet doing nothing productive.

Guru

I think the NZG need to introduce a non-retirement investment scheme with tax advantages (similar to Uk and US schemes) to persuade NZers to invest in equity investments rather than housing. Similarly they need to boost kiwisaver tax advantages to encourage people to boost their investment beyond the minimum needed to get the current full tax credit. Otherwise the ease of being able to leverage your investment in housing and other advantages will mean the preference for housing investment will remain.