Just curious ... it occurs to me that recently a lot of members seem to carry the attribute "banned" under their name de plume. Some of them come back and some disappear again (and again). Many disappear forever (not sure, whether they are "banned for life" - or just don't bother anymore to contribute to a forum where banning members seems to become more and more the norm).

As well some threads seem to move / disappear and sometimes appear again like the flying Dutchman. Not sure, whether this is a related effect or just a coincidence?

I had a look through the FAQ, but couldn't find any guidelines or policy related to moderators banning members. Maybe I didn't look in the right place - or is this a decision the moderator makes up on the go?

So - still typing (i.e. I might be still unbanned) ...

Question 1: Is there a policy on banning members on sharetrader, and if yes - are we allowed to see it?

As well wondering what the benefit of banning members is for the forum. Obviously - if people break the law or are offending others, than I can see why you want to get rid of them - but otherwise? If members are just annoying for others (and one members nuisance might be another members inspiration), than it is quite easy to put them on "ignore" - no need to ban.

I feel that sharetrader lost already a lot of not just colourful but as well very worthwhile contributors and valuable information due to the recent banning spree. Personally I think that this is a pity. I am concerned that if we keep going that way we might end up in a situation where members just ban themselves from this forum because it gets too bland. hotcopper is waiting for them (oh - hope they don't ban me for mentioning the competition?).

Question 2: Obviously - this is a great medium to discuss the New Zealand sharemarket (but so are others) and I am thankful that I could use it for learning and contribution about the share market. I think however it would help to better understand the motives of the site operators and moderators. Lets assume you ban everybody ... would this just mean that you have from now on a more enjoyable life and a peaceful forum ("rest in peace" springs to mind), or do you see any benefits for you to keep some members life (i.e. unbanned) on the forum?