Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
Most of us here are investors.
To start investing you first of all need to live within your means.
Only then can you start to invest,spare cash.
I do not think it makes a great deal of difference whether you invest in property,shares,art or whatever,so long as your do your research and are not greedy.
Therefore I think most of us on sharetrader will make sure we can live on our retirement income,whatever it turns out to be.
On the other hand, there a great number of people who can not live within their means.These people reach retirement age with either no house,or a house with a large mortgage.They can not afford to give up work.Life then becomes very hard for them.
So back to how much money do you need to retire on.Depending on where you live,your lifestyle,and health I would say someone living in the South Island with modest requirements could safely retire with a free hold house worth $350,000 and about $300,000 invested returning 5%.For a couple that would be $15,000 from investments plus super of approx. $25,000.
Move to Christchurch your house would most probably be approx. $500,000 and your investments would need to be worth approx. $600,000.
Move to Auckland,your house would most probably be worth $1,200,000 and you would need investments worth close to $2mil.
I am 66 and am still working.This has a huge influence on where you are.My work is the same as having approx. an extra $800,000 invested.I still love my work.
Agree with everything in this post, well written, Percy