sharetrader

Threaded View

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    "Welfare" covers a spectrum of government "assistance." I don't believe government super is concerned welfare these days. Our elderly people have contributed all their lives, by way of taxes. They have supported businesses with their spending. Many of them have contributed in non-financial ways such as doing voluntary work. I have no issue with them receiving government super. I also have no issue with those who have accumulated wealth, receiving super. What they choose to do with it is up to them.

Your comment however, is more related to other forms of welfare I suspect,
    My comment, if you bother to read it properly, is directed at those who do not try. Not at those with genuine need. NZ once was a world leader in social welfare but it's stretched a little too far - leaving less for the genuine cases. There are and always will be those who need assistance, financial and social. But there are a number of beneficaries who game the system. I've met a few in my years on the planet. You probably have too, but may not have noticed them. 'There are none so blind as those who will not see.'
    I agree that those I am referring to are in a minority. So what? They do exist. You certainly have read a hell of a lot into my simple phrase. 'A lot don't'. Particularly when you admit they exist in your 3rd last sentence. I don't know why you think 'society' judges beneficaries as unmotivated, lazy etc. I think 'a proportion of society' (whoever they are) judges SOME that way. But your wild generalisation is just a silly assumption. I'm sure if you surveyed 10,000 people you wouldn't claim that. Although pperhaps I'm overlooking your special gift of being a mind reader - or is that limited to only what I think?
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 12-11-2021 at 11:21 AM.