sharetrader
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

[QUOTE=Roger;570217]Most people get horribly bored with nothing to do all day. Studies I've seen suggest people will be working well into their sixties.

I agree with that to some point, I think people probably overestimate how much they need to be happy. But, take away my investments and I will have to work into my 60s. Decent retirement savings means you have more of a choice especially in your 50s and 60s. Knowing I can throw it in and do something else at any time brings more of a smile to my dial than any supercharged car could ever do. But then the only car I've ever owned that I really enjoyed was my first car: the Austin A40.

Now that I'm in a nostalgic mood, and talking about supercharged cars. Back when I was about 16 I had a go at supercharging the A40 using mum's vacuum cleaner to blow air down the carburetor. I could never get it to work, turning on the vacuum cleaner just killed the engine. Presumably it needed to blow the air/fuel mix in rather than just the air? Not sure. Anyway probably just as well it didn't work as I doubt the old car could really have coped with a proper supercharger. I have a decent workshop now so could be an early retirement project perhaps.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Now that I'm in a nostalgic mood, and talking about supercharged cars. Back when I was about 16 I had a go at supercharging the A40 using mum's vacuum cleaner to blow air down the carburetor. I could never get it to work, turning on the vacuum cleaner just killed the engine. Presumably it needed to blow the air/fuel mix in rather than just the air? Not sure. Anyway probably just as well it didn't work as I doubt the old car could really have coped with a proper supercharger. I have a decent workshop now so could be an early retirement project perhaps.
    Classic!!!
    I think you needed to drill out the carburettor jets,ie really richen up the mixture.
    Most probably the latest vacuum cleaners, with variable speed, may be easier to get the right pressure?

Absolutely if you want to retire early by all means plan for and go hard for that. My plan is just that, a plan for me. By and large I enjoy my work and especially enjoying working my investments both of which I'll probably be doing part time into my seventies. I get bored easily if I'm not busy doing something.
    Regarding whether to choose your Austen A 40 or the car in this clip....hmmmm that's a tough one, I'd have to think really hard about that
    https://youtu.be/DMbSfkh9WaQ
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-04-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Classic!!!
    I think you needed to drill out the carburettor jets,ie really richen up the mixture.
    Most probably the latest vacuum cleaners, with variable speed, may be easier to get the right pressure?
    Do the latest ones have really long leads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Absolutely if you want to retire early by all means plan for and go hard for that. My plan is just that, a plan for me. By and large I enjoy my work and especially enjoying working my investments both of which I'll probably be doing part time into my seventies. I get bored easily if I'm not busy doing something.
    Regarding whether to choose your Austen A 40 or the car in this clip....hmmmm that's a tough one, I'd have to think really hard about that
    https://youtu.be/DMbSfkh9WaQ
    Roger, it doesn't even have a tow bar!

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    You confuse doing something with paid employment. There are plenty of things someone can do in their day that does not involve "work". You can become a serious gardener, competitive flower grower, stock market trader, animal rescuer, charity worker, volunteer, board director, council member, antique collector/seller, etc. You just need to find something you enjoy doing and focus on doing it.
    Quite right and its good to make a solid contribution to society no question about that. You forgot to include dog breeder Satan who cares, just look at it drive it and listen to it...there's even room in the boot for my three dogs, game over, I rest my case...wish the wife would come home and I can start to go to work on convincing the one that I have learned it is best not to argue with lol

On a serious note hopefully I've given some encouragement to those that are either late starters or non starters on their retirement plans and from the illustrations provided shown there's more than one way to skin the retirement cat. Others may take the view that they're happy to sacrifice some enjoyable activities in their 30's, 40's, 50, and 60's so that when they're decrepit lying in some nursing home / dementia ward in their nineties they can be sure they can afford the best available health care.,..(if they get to their nineties) and I say all the best to you if you want to live life that way but for my money I think talk of people needing $5m - $10m at retirement to be sure of the best care is living life backwards and you're priorities are skewed all wrong...it seems a bit outrageous that a conservative bean counter would suggest living life to the fullest doesn't it

As in all things finding the right balance and moderation is the key. Leaving aside as a separate issue one's altruistic tendencies and one's desire to leave stuff to their kids, when its all said and done investment is merely deferred consumption. How can anyone be sure they'll even live until they're 80 or later so why defer so much consumption until you're too old to truly enjoy it ?

I've seen people in their 50's with millions driving around in ****ty old cars and dressed in cheap clothes, too scared to buy a decent car / boat or holiday home, trapped in their own sense of insecurity, its crazy !!
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-04-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Agree...sort of ...I tried that when I was younger.....all I got was a case of the clap and a trail of bounced checks.... (just kidding of course...mustn't pass up an opportunity for a cheap laugh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    I am a firm believer in doing more of what you love doing, doing it well enough and often enough to become a professional at it, and you will find that the money will follow.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Sounds to me like you are trying very hard to justify your excessive purchases of 'the baubles of office".
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Quite right and its good to make a solid contribution to society no question about that. You forgot to include dog breeder Satan who cares, just look at it drive it and listen to it...there's even room in the boot for my three dogs, game over, I rest my case...wish the wife would come home and I can start to go to work on convincing the one that I have learned it is best not to argue with lol

On a serious note hopefully I've given some encouragement to those that are either late starters or non starters on their retirement plans and from the illustrations provided shown there's more than one way to skin the retirement cat. Others may take the view that they're happy to sacrifice some enjoyable activities in their 30's, 40's, 50, and 60's so that when they're decrepit lying in some nursing home / dementia ward in their nineties they can be sure they can afford the best available health care.,..(if they get to their nineties) and I say all the best to you if you want to live life that way but for my money I think talk of people needing $5m - $10m at retirement to be sure of the best care is living life backwards and you're priorities are skewed all wrong...it seems a bit outrageous that a conservative bean counter would suggest living life to the fullest doesn't it

As in all things finding the right balance and moderation is the key. Leaving aside as a separate issue one's altruistic tendencies and one's desire to leave stuff to their kids, when its all said and done investment is merely deferred consumption. How can anyone be sure they'll even live until they're 80 or later so why defer so much consumption until you're too old to truly enjoy it ?

I've seen people in their 50's with millions driving around in ****ty old cars and dressed in cheap clothes, too scared to buy a decent car / boat or holiday home, trapped in their own sense of insecurity, its crazy !!
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

percy

Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Do the latest ones have really long leads?
    Get a battery one.
    Then install a solar panel on the A40's roof to charge the battery.
    You will be spending a lot of time on the side of the road adjusting both the mixture and the vacuum cleaner pressure,so the solar panel will be able to charge up your battery.
    If you think you will have trouble getting the engine started have a look at you tube "Wynn's 'start you bastard' engine additive advert". It really works.!!
    Last edited by percy; 30-04-2015 at 05:55 PM.