sharetrader
Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Not sure if these links work but to flog a dead horse.
    I guess the article assumes that the current system for NZ Super is sustainable. Is NZ Super a Ponzi scheme or has money been put aside to cover it. I am not sure as it wasn't debated in the last election and that is the stuff I leave to my elected leaders in government to work out.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...ucks-to-retire
    Last edited by Aaron; 08-05-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: should not post when in a grumpy mood

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Not sure if these links work but to flog a dead horse.
    I guess the article assumes that the current system for NZ Super is sustainable. Is NZ Super a Ponzi scheme or has money been put aside to cover it. I am not sure as it wasn't debated in the last election and that is the stuff I leave to my elected leaders in government to work out.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...ucks-to-retire
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting that they arrived at a figure of $350,000. I arrived at $257,000 in post #104 for a comfortable retirement, (less or nearly nothing if you have a freehold rental property), but the key assumption underlying my figure was that you could earn an average of 7% gross per annum on a balanced portfolio of investments which is probably not too tough for those of us on here, most of whom seem to be intelligent investors. Good article that sheds some more light on this mystery, thanks for sharing.

Percy mate, I haven't bought that supercharged Jaguar yet....my appetite for one got significantly blunted this week when I took our 8 year old Mercedes-Benz in for some suspension repairs
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-05-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Veteran novice

All these estimates are a waste of time if you don't take account of individual needs and lifestyles. A bit like the much touted "living wage" - for a single person living in, say, Ashburton or Marton? Or for a person with dependants living in Auckland or Christchurch?

Now, I've got that little matter off my chest, back to earning enough for a living wage and a comfortable retirement!

Last edited by macduffy; 08-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.

No question each person needs to account for their desired lifestyle in retirement, a point I believe I made earlier...but I think a useful starting point is to get a general idea of what's an average target so people can start using that as an opening frame of reference in their considerations...and in that respect if I do say so myself, I think this thread has been a real success.

percy

[QUOTE=Roger;571461.

Percy mate, I haven't bought that supercharged Jaguar yet....my appetite for one got significantly blunted this week when I took our 8 year old Mercedes-Benz in for some suspension repairs [/QUOTE]

Roger,a word to the wise;
    If you ever want to retire with capital, there are two important names you should always think of when your mind turns to vehicles,Toyota and Nissan.

Yep there's no doubt about if my friend, if you want to retire and drive fancy European cars and update them every so often one is going to need a heck of a lot more than $257,000. I think this explains why you see so many retired folk driving fairly modest Japanese made cars. Cheap to buy, fuel-up, maintain and they're durable. Right sizing one's expectations in regard to standard of living in retirement is one of the key aspects of addressing this conundrum

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Roger,a word to the wise;
    If you ever want to retire with capital, there are two important names you should always think of when your mind turns to vehicles,Toyota and Nissan.

You could add Honda and Mazda as well.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Not sure if these links work but to flog a dead horse. I guess the article assumes that the current system for NZ Super is sustainable. Is NZ Super a Ponzi scheme or has money been put aside to cover it. I am not sure as it wasn't debated in the last election and that is the stuff I leave to my elected leaders in government to work out......
    About the sustainability of NZ (universal) super. Couple of years ago The Treasury produced some forward projections on this topic, among others. They reckoned that raising the entitlement age to 67 over time and also tying increases to inflation rather than wages would work. With some provisos.

Report is below, an interesting read.

http://www.treasury.govt.nz/governme...-13-aof-qg.pdf

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Why??????????????????????????????
    Reliability.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Reliability.
    Yes I should have included them.I don't have experience with Honda,but I recently had a Mazda rental car.Drove really well,and the rental car company spoke well of them