sharetrader
Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Guru

I mow my own lawns too. Mrs had some guy come in and do it once every 3 weeks. Charged $30 a pop. So worked out that that was about $400 per year. Takes me 20 mins to mow the lawn, its good exercise and gets you outside. Got rid of that guy quick pronto. Lawnmower only cost $280 from mitre 10 so in a year its paid itself off. Been painting the house this morning too, second coat on this afternoon, in between spreadsheet analysis and other work. Why pay a painter $40 per hour with all the other costs of getting up high on scaffolds etc when you can do it yourself and not have to worry at all about H&S legislation. Just be sensible up on the ladder

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    No Aaron - the chart is for New Zealand

Since the Resource Managemnt Act RMA came into force home ownership rates in NZ have declined

Chart a couple of years old but the line has gone down further
    Oops obviously need to take a closer look. So the Resource Mgmt Act 1991 is causing the reduction in home ownership??
    I would be interested to see the home ownership statistics for the USA and Aussie over the same period. If the trend is the same in those countries could we say that the RMA may not be the driving force behind lower ownership rates even if it is adding to the cost of housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Oops obviously need to take a closer look. So the Resource Mgmt Act 1991 is causing the reduction in home ownership??
    I would be interested to see the home ownership statistics for the USA and Aussie over the same period. If the trend is the same in those countries could we say that the RMA may not be the driving force behind lower ownership rates even if it is adding to the cost of housing.
    The current problems seem to be blamed on a supply / demand imbalance - the supply part being shortage of land to build on and the RMA and other compliance blamed for this as well as adding to overall cost.

Seems a pretty reasonable argument''

You of course will note that ownership rates are back to the level when the Boomers were starting to arrive on earth - must be a story in that eh.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Permanent Newbie

Can't seem to copy the graph but three spins of the mouse down this web page is a graph by the reserve bank of aussie
    http://www.rba.gov.au/publications/s...hip-rates.html

Haven't looked too closely but NZ seems to be in a steeper decline although the others have headed noticeably down since around the time of the GFC. The other countries didn't have the RMA in 1991.

I would think immigration would be playing a part on the demand side for house prices. Not even immigration, foreigners not moving here, buying nz land will be helping demand. Amongst other things already mentioned.
    Last edited by Aaron; 03-03-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Aaron - you mentioned serfs

Have you ever read Hayek's 'Road to Serfdom'

Quite popular these days

Permanent Newbie

Aaron - you mentioned serfs

Have you ever read Hayek's 'Road to Serfdom'

Quite popular these days
    Maybe I should give it a try. The father of neo-Liberal ideology maybe then I can start to understand why some people think the way they do.

And am I mistaken in thinking that maybe just maybe Bill English doesn't see the current NZ Superannuation scheme as affordable. Does he want to lose an election? Andrew Little saying Labour will contribute more to the Cullen fund is such a gutless politic response. Especially when his predecessors at the Labour party had proposed raising the retirement age and making kiwisaver compulsory which in my view were good ideas. Winston Peters response is as expected, unhelpful and designed to get more boomers to vote for his party. Pity the politicians can't all just agree to some necessary changes to nz super. But having politicians working together is as likely as the average voter not being only interested in themselves and what they can get from the other taxpayers.

Maybe we just need the problems to be more imminent before change will come.
    Or we can read Hayek and come to the conclusion that governments only need to provide a legal system and protection of property rights as that is apparently the one thing govts are capable of. (Also running your own army is expensive and is a cost better shared by all society).
    Last edited by Aaron; 06-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Default Government changes retirement age but not in the next two decades !

This will really "thrill" you Aaron http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nation...cid=spartandhp
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    This will really "thrill" you Aaron http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nation...cid=spartandhp
    So Aaron will still get his entitlement at 65 then

Hope it becomes means tested for new pensioners by then - country won't be able to afford it by then
    Last edited by winner69; 06-03-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Guru

The Government is a bit gutless on this. Should start a lot earlier. The residency requirement should also be effective immediately.

Permanent Newbie

So Aaron will still get his entitlement at 65 then

Hope it becomes means tested for new pensioners by then - country won't be able to afford it by then
    I hope it will be means tested as well. Ideally I won't get anything as I will make a killing in the next financial market meltdown. Welfare for those that need it I say.

I think this guy typifies the average baby boomer. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...uation-changes

Mike Skilling, 58, says young*people shouldn't assume that Super will be around by the time they get to retirement age. But he is happy to receive nz super even if there has been nothing put aside by previous govts and he will vote for whichever party promises to keep the gravy train running as long as possible. F**k the next generation my kids will be OK. Typical.