sharetrader
Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Perhaps I read that wrong but I didn't think that winner was advocating the "unfair, double taxing" view - merely pointing out that this was a strongly held view, by some, around this fraught matter.
    Agreed but I'm incensed he can have oysters and chips at the beach whenever he likes and I suspect he only "says" he can't afford honey.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Aaron - some of the electorate even think it's unfair their super entitlement is taxed - they paid taxes all their working life to get super so taxing it is like double taxation ....and so unfair

That's an indication how sensitive the arguments are
    I guess we can blame the short-sightedness of previous governments. They needed to have kept taxes high so that more was put aside for the retirement costs of those who were working at the time. With a short three-year term, governments are always trying to garner votes by thinking of ways to cut taxes to appeal to the older and wealthier who are more likely to pop into the polling booths.

Some of the blame for inadequate provisioning for today's retirees can be laid on Muldoon - ironically a big state interventionist himself - who classified the then mooted super scheme as Soviet-like!
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10465138

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Agreed but I'm incensed he can have oysters and chips at the beach whenever he likes and I suspect he only "says" he can't afford honey.
    No Aaron - oysters and chips only on super day, every 2nd Tuesday
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Perhaps I read that wrong but I didn't think that winner was advocating the "unfair, double taxing" view - merely pointing out that this was a strongly held view, by some, around this fraught matter.
    Yep, that's what meant. A few people think that way - and maybe they vote as well.

I don't mind paying tax on my entitlement - on a ST tax rate a lot goes goes back to the government anyway - ad could even go to some young dole bludger eh
    Last edited by winner69; 10-03-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Jeez Aaron its getting worse for the real young ones - todays ratepayers dont want to pay for infrastructure to be used by their children, but are quite happy to use existing infrastructure built by their parents

http://www.interest.co.nz/property/8...nue-streams-or

Guru

Jeez Aaron its getting worse for the real young ones - todays ratepayers dont want to pay for infrastructure to be used by their children, but are quite happy to use existing infrastructure built by their parents

True. And yesterday's taxpayers were happy to give themselves tax cuts and to use family trusts and negative gearing to build up property portfolios yet complain about rates and expect todays taxpayers to give them a full non-means tested pension!

Permanent Newbie

I suspect the majority of homeowners and investors are boomers and this is a continuing theme we are seeing. It must stick in the boomers craw a bit that councils are looking forward to the future and asking current homeowners to stump up. The usual boomer response would be to get the councils to borrow more so that future generations can pay for it if the magic of inflation doesn't work but maybe councils are getting loaded up with debt too soon. Ideally the credit card gets maxed out after the last boomer pops his/her clogs.

Guru

This thread should be renamed "the Aaron and Bjauck whinge."

Your irrational rants just sound like sour grapes. Get off your butts and get on with life rather than finding other people to blame for your inadequacies. There is an old saying that " the harder I work the luckier I get".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    ...There is an old saying that " the harder I work the luckier I get".
    ...Would all the "accidental" boomer millionaires owning housing over the past decades in Auckland agree that it was all their "hard work" and not benevolent interest rate falls and benevolent Government tax and immigration policies that created much of their wealth? However, I guess this is slightly off the original topic.

Your irrational rants
    Please point out why you think they are irrational.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 15-03-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Hey Aaron - I just got a email saying that my entitlement is going up by $5 a week from April 1st

Cool eh