sharetrader
Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    NZ super is not a benefit. It is a universal entitlement. Superannuitants are not 'other beneficiaries'.
    If learning to earn a living is not relevant when setting voting age, why not make it five? Surely if they are old enough to go to school, they are old enough to have their say in the system.
    You need to apply to WINZ and satisfy their criteria for payment as with other WINZ payments.

I didn’t know 5 year olds, like 16 year olds, were able to apply for an adult passport, to be criminally responsible, get married, apply for a gun licence, choose where they live, work as an adult, leave school, drive.

So 16 year olds can drive, own a gun, get married and have legal blessing to become parents. They have legal capacity to act as an adult in life’s most adult, and indeed most dangerous, of decisions and activities, yet they cannot vote in an election. It is patently ridiculous.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    You need to apply to WINZ and satisfy their criteria for payment as with other WINZ payments.

I didn’t know 5 year olds, like 16 year olds, were able to apply for an adult passport, to be criminally responsible, get married, apply for a gun licence, choose where they live, work as an adult, leave school, drive.

So 16 year olds can drive, own a gun, get married and have legal blessing to become parents. They have legal capacity to act as an adult in life’s most adult, and indeed most dangerous, of decisions and activities, yet they cannot vote in an election. It is patently ridiculous.
    18 is legal age of marriage in NZ . If you are 16 -18 you require consent

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    18 is legal age of marriage in NZ . If you are 16 -18 you require consent
    You still have capacity to legally marry. The difference is that there is an extra step - obtaining the consent of a family court judge, Despite the extra requirement the marriage of a 16 or 17 year old is of equal standing to any other marriage.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    You still have capacity to legally marry. The difference is that there is an extra step - obtaining the consent of a family court judge, Despite the extra requirement the marriage of a 16 or 17 year old is of equal standing to any other marriage.
    16 is also ridiculous for getting married and the law should be strictly enforced at no less than 18

What happened to discussion on the subject matter of this thread ? With dramatically rising inflation I would have thought that might still be a subject worthy of debate or maybe the question has already been answered ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Good point Beagle, in addition to a freehold house .I think it will now be necessary to have a new EV at retirement as you sure won't be able to do many trips at $ 3.00 + a Litre.

Legend

Good point Beagle, in addition to a freehold house .I think it will now be necessary to have a new EV at retirement as you sure won't be able to do many trips at $ 3.00 + a Litre.
    Nearly every NZ house is freehold, which simply means it is not leasehold, (freehold = held in fee simple). I think you mean in addition to an unencumbered house. The term 'freehold' gets thrown around loosely for a house without a mortgage, but it is not correct and should not be used in any forum concerned with financial matters. Although nearly every NZ house is freehold, over 50% of them are mortgaged. The correct term for a mortgage free property is unencumbered.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 06-02-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Guru

Maybe large self sufficient retirement villages with several ways for retirees to secure unit occupancy could be the answer. Supermarkets and services could be within the village site, with electric “golf carts” for each household for transport within the village.

You can buy a vast amount of petrol for the cost of a new EV.
    Maybe 10 years worth of petrol.
    Last edited by ynot; 06-02-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Living costs are definitely going up
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2022 at 03:59 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine