sharetrader
Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Living costs are definitely going up
    Thank goodness for Winnie's Gold Card.....Discounts here,there and every where..
    And free travel on buses too,no need for an EV.
    Last edited by percy; 06-02-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Along the lines of retirement - I have some $$ that I have have on short term term deposit at Kiwibank - but for $50K you get like $100 interest over 3 months! I dont want to tie the money down for too long as rates are expected to change so much as inflation keeps flying up - but what are alternatives for a safe haven to put aside and build towards retirement (10 years away yet!) I have shares but I see this as not quite a safe haven at the moment (expect my Oz mineral shares that are 100% up - I even have some in crypto - but that is the opposite of a safe haven. Are there better options that just rewarding the banks with a term deposit ? Any suggestions appreciated

yeah, nah

Quote Originally Posted by STr View Post
    Are there better options that just rewarding the banks with a term deposit ? Any suggestions appreciated
    Take a look a Zagga - currently investment loans are returning in the 8% range and often loans come up for 6mth terms most are 1yr terms (some are longer).

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by STr View Post
    Along the lines of retirement - I have some $$ that I have have on short term term deposit at Kiwibank - but for $50K you get like $100 interest over 3 months! I dont want to tie the money down for too long as rates are expected to change so much as inflation keeps flying up - but what are alternatives for a safe haven to put aside and build towards retirement (10 years away yet!) I have shares but I see this as not quite a safe haven at the moment (expect my Oz mineral shares that are 100% up - I even have some in crypto - but that is the opposite of a safe haven. Are there better options that just rewarding the banks with a term deposit ? Any suggestions appreciated
    If you find a "safe" investment keeping ahead of inflation I would be interested to know what it is.

NZ people with extra cash believe leaving it in a bank account is 'safe investing'. The fact being, inflation will erode it's value that these very same people don't understand what the definition of inflation means. Interest earnings from back accounts are taxed at RWT. That's a big difference to earnings from owning a house (the capital gains), usually come 100% tax free.

I think CNBC sensationalist investor Jim Cramer recently said, "If you're not prepared or willing to take the risk... then don't complain when you see others having more than you do (who do take on risks). He said it very eloquently for those in their 20s and 30s should never invest in bonds. For those that are senior, then it's wise to have a bit of fix term investments.... but at the end of the day if you want to beat inflation, you have to own stocks in companies.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    NZ people with extra cash believe leaving it in a bank account is 'safe investing'. The fact being, inflation will erode it's value that these very same people don't understand what the definition of inflation means. Interest earnings from back accounts are taxed at RWT. That's a big difference to earnings from owning a house (the capital gains), usually come 100% tax free.

I think CNBC sensationalist investor Jim Cramer recently said, "If you're not prepared or willing to take the risk... then don't complain when you see others having more than you do (who do take on risks). He said it very eloquently for those in their 20s and 30s should never invest in bonds. For those that are senior, then it's wise to have a bit of fix term investments.... but at the end of the day if you want to beat inflation, you have to own stocks in companies.
    Who is taking the risk if central bankers keep propping up the market with easy money and low interest rates? Ray Dalio is very clear that he thinks people holding cash are the ones taking a risk.

And as an aside didn't JBMurc have a post here. Has it disappeared like Logans did on another thread?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Who is taking the risk if central bankers keep propping up the market with easy money and low interest rates? Ray Dalio is very clear that he thinks people holding cash are the ones taking a risk.

And as an aside didn't JBMurc have a post here. Has it disappeared like Logans did on another thread?
    NZ shares put in a negative return in the past 12 months. I think the beneficiary of monetary and fiscal policy is more likely to be the residential property owner.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 11-02-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Guru

I referred to "black humour" in a post a week ago. I was surprised that it was later deleted. The only reason I could think of is that someone complained thinking it was a racial expression as opposed to meaning morbid humour.

Permanent Newbie

No welfare for the wealthy. Sounds sensible to me. How do we defeat the greedy boomers at election time to get this done.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other...b9c03529&ei=13

France must be a pack of lazy bastards looking at their reaction to raising the retirement age. Easy solution burn stuff and scream and shout like a kid having a tantrum.

Legend

No welfare for the wealthy. Sounds sensible to me.
    ocid=msedgntp&cvid=39b1e98f71164393806205aeb9c0352 9&ei=13[/url]
    Sounds like a huge disincentive to me - might as blow it now rather than poke it away into a savings scheme - either that or back to stuffing it under the mattress.