sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Definitely a Win for your Brother if he decides not to 'gift' it back.
    Haha yes indeed... there is that inherent risk involved there as well.... But I trust him!

In practical terms, after reading numerous FIF threads on here, I take this to mean I can buy 50K of e.g. Vanguard total market index ETF on the ASX and sit on it for eternity and as long as I never purchase any other share outside of the IRD approved list, I will never have to pay any FIF tax on the holding except tax on dividends (if any)?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by audiav View Post
    In practical terms, after reading numerous FIF threads on here, I take this to mean I can buy 50K of e.g. Vanguard total market index ETF on the ASX and sit on it for eternity and as long as I never purchase any other share outside of the IRD approved list, I will never have to pay any FIF tax on the holding except tax on dividends (if any)?
    Re investment of distributions would be counted as adding to your $50,000. You would need to take the cash option.

But if the value increases over $50000 in the following tax year, FIF is triggered

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    But if the value increases over $50000 in the following tax year, FIF is triggered

Not so. It is cost price that is used.

Reinvesting distributions would be a purchase thus adding to the original investment that may, will in time, take you above the $50,000.

Cost price was how I interpreted it from IRD website, but needed a second opinion