sharetrader
Page 584 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 8448453457458058158258358458558658758859463468410841584 ... LastLast
Results 5,831 to 5,840 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

volumes not high, so probably just consolidating

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Contact, Meridian and Spark all down 5% at the moment. Seems a bit higher than the usual turbulence
    probably to do with bond prices correcting ( as some people treat gentailers are bond proxies at the moment )
    one step ahead of the herd

ECB meeting tonight is of interest to markets , also next week fed meeting or as trump says the 'boneheads' meeting will be of big interest.

IMO

What Just Happened "Has Only Occurred On Two Days In History"

Can someone condense this into a plain english sentence.Seems like a mix of movement from income to safety stocks and reverse, liquidity hence pricing anomalies on small caps and shorting.

Cool Great trade buying Gold plays with FOMC coming up rate cut ??

Should well see Gold north of $1600oz USD ....

Attachment 10764
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Deleted message
    Last edited by dzhang1510; 12-09-2019 at 03:46 PM.

ECB meeting last night re- starting QE

European Central Bank cuts its deposit rate, launches new bond-buying program

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/12/euro...g-program.html

Repo cash Injections have started!

Last time this happened was 2007 to address massive Liquidity problems in the financial system. If the Fed didn't just step in then interest rates would have spiked up. The Fed are trying to keep the rates down so they make money easy to obtain for the banks and consumers. Higher rates would be detrimental to the economy right now.

Why would this have meant an interest rates spike? Liquidity freeze is when Banks don't know who to trust and are unwilling to lend to other banks as a result. This is why liquidity dries up. Basically, something has them spooked and the risk is too high. Typically they will want a bigger return from the loan to another bank which means a higher interest rate pushed onto consumers.

Why do banks loan to other banks? Because banks must have XXX amount on their balance sheet at the end of each business day. Often there is a shortfall, they make this up by taking a short term loan from another bank that has more than XXX amount on their books.

What has banks spooked? That is a Trillion dollar question! Not known publicly yet. Last time it was Subprime loans.. This time could be anything. Might be 12 months out from finding out like with Lehman brothers event in 2008 or we might see it this year.

Who knows, This hasn't happened for a decade. DYOR, This is mine.. I think this and the million of other market indicators flashing red we are on the edge of something big..

But we could also be 20 years away from a recession. Who knows! But this to me is a critical alert!

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...19-9?r=US&IR=T

Yes, its a worry. I switched some cash to precious metals earlier in the year, in particular through a silver ETF (https://www.marketindex.com.au/asx/etpmag).

I sold my position a few weeks back for a return of just over 40 per cent (not talking big dollars here but the per cent is accurate, a lot of this was because our NZD went down substantially at the same time silver hit a three year peak. I still have a tiny gold position through PMGOLD (https://www.perthmint.com/storage/pe...-gold-asx.html) which accounts for 2.5 per cent of my total portfolio.

I'd love to buy some more but gold is almost $2500 in NZD - the most its ever been. Its much higher than in the darkest days of 2011. I just can't bring myself to buy at these levels.

Just 8 months ago gold and silver was for cranks. Now just about everyone is talking about it - just another reason I don't feel like buying it at this point in time. All of a sudden gold and silver are considered mainstream investments. But when they were 40 per cent cheaper? Not so much

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-cuts-to-zero

I just finished reading The Mandiables this week by Lionel Shriver. I renewed my library card especially just so I could get it out. It's brilliant.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...rican-collapse

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not some apocalyptic weirdo. However if gold drops a little, I'm bringing my precious metal holdings back up to 5 per cent of my portfolio. If it helps me sleep a little better, its a good investment.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 22-09-2019 at 10:40 PM.

looks like the spike in bonds is over , dow utilities hitting all time highs today confirms