sharetrader
Page 446 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 3463964364424434444454464474484494504564965469461446 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 18815

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    turkey problems stem from debt binge over the years was always going to happen , trump just decided to put his foot on edorans head to get what he wants and the pressure piles on. cant see it as a big deal myself blow over when turkey economy crashes or turkey gives up to trump.
    Sure - their problems are home made ... Trump is just the a**e he always is and kicking his opponents while they are on the ground. Nothing new - that's what bullies do.

You might well be right that the Turkey crisis doesn't end up as the detonator for the next financial crisis - or you might be wrong.

It is just ... if you know that the world economy has a lot of accumulated fuel just waiting for the spark to ignite it - would anybody with a gram of grey matter in the head run around and play with his lighter instead of trying to safely reduce the fuel supply?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

2826 - 2842 still in play

better not say anything bad about turkey apparently they are investigating social media lol anyway we got 7 right

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/turk...-the-lira.html
    Last edited by bull....; 15-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Will property investors sell houses and buy stocks?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...es-becomes-law

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Will property investors sell houses and buy stocks?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...es-becomes-law
    As an expat Kiwi who has now been banned from buying almost all forms of property in my own country, current thinking is to not invest any more money in NZ and look elsewhere – somewhere that actually wants overseas investment dollars.

sea of red at the moment , commodities are getting smashed
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    sea of red at the moment , commodities are getting smashed
    Except live cattle & hogs.Even gold dropping.
    Go figure!
    A big clean out coming up folks?Holding on to my pants.
    Last edited by kiora; 16-08-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    As an expat Kiwi who has now been banned from buying almost all forms of property in my own country, current thinking is to not invest any more money in NZ and look elsewhere – somewhere that actually wants overseas investment dollars.
    Have you mis-read the bill?
    As a passport holding Kiwi I would have thought that you could still buy property in your home country.
    Peter Theil can so why can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Have you mis-read the bill?
    As a passport holding Kiwi I would have thought that you could still buy property in your home country.
    Peter Theil can so why can't you?
    I wish I was misreading it.

By designating all residential property as sensitive land, only people who are ordinarily resident in NZ (extracted definition below) can purchase without going through an approval process (which has now been made more difficult and therefore time consuming and expensive). Like most expats I am not ordinarily resident in NZ, so I get lumped in with the foreigners.

The press coverage mentions that people from Australia and Singapore are exempt because of trade agreements. If that is correct it creates the bizarre situation that non-NZ citizens from these countries can purchase residential property but NZ citizens living elsewhere cannot.

In this Act, a person is ordinarily resident in New Zealand,—
    (a)

for the purpose of an overseas investment in sensitive land where the relevant land is or includes residential land, for the purposes of a transaction that will result in an overseas investment in sensitive land where the relevant land is or includes residential land, and related matters, if the person—(i)

holds a residence class visa granted under the Immigration Act 2009; and

(ii)

has been residing in New Zealand for at least the immediately preceding 12 months; and

(iia)

is tax resident in New Zealand; and

(iii)

has been present in New Zealand for 183 days or more in total in the immediately preceding 12 months (counting presence in New Zealand for part of a day as a presence for a whole day):

I wish I was misreading it.

By designating all residential property as sensitive land, only people who are ordinarily resident in NZ (extracted definition below) can purchase without going through an approval process (which has now been made more difficult and therefore time consuming and expensive). Like most expats I am not ordinarily resident in NZ, so I get lumped in with the foreigners.

The press coverage mentions that people from Australia and Singapore are exempt because of trade agreements. If that is correct it creates the bizarre situation that non-NZ citizens from these countries can purchase residential property but NZ citizens living elsewhere cannot.

In this Act, a person is ordinarily resident in New Zealand,—
    (a)

for the purpose of an overseas investment in sensitive land where the relevant land is or includes residential land, for the purposes of a transaction that will result in an overseas investment in sensitive land where the relevant land is or includes residential land, and related matters, if the person—(i)

holds a residence class visa granted under the Immigration Act 2009; and

(ii)

has been residing in New Zealand for at least the immediately preceding 12 months; and

(iia)

is tax resident in New Zealand; and

(iii)

has been present in New Zealand for 183 days or more in total in the immediately preceding 12 months (counting presence in New Zealand for part of a day as a presence for a whole day):

Doesn’t the main bill say all this does not apply to NZ Citizens ...that hadn’t changed in the Amendment
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Unfortunately too many foreigners just parking their money in NZ real estate. There's neighbourhoods in AKL you can drive around with dozens of empty houses, uncut lawns etc owned by foreigners who have never set foot in the country. Doesn't make for healthy vibrant safe communities which should be a core precept of public policy. Until recently around 20% AKL sales were to foreign speculators/investors, which is now having a flow on effect to rest of the country. NZ housing debt to overseas owned banks is staggering, in the absence of capital gains tax, something needed to be done.