sharetrader
Page 1898 of 1902 FirstFirst ... 8981398179818481888189418951896189718981899190019011902 LastLast
Results 18,971 to 18,980 of 19011

Thread: Black Monday

@WinfieldSmart
    The yield curve has been inverted for over 500 days We’ve only seen this 3 times in history:

1. 2008
    2. 1929
    3. 1974

All 3 saw > 50% stock market drawdowns
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    @WinfieldSmart
    The yield curve has been inverted for over 500 days We’ve only seen this 3 times in history:

1. 2008
    2. 1929
    3. 1974

Thanks. Very interesting finding. Don't even think about 1929. Great depression and over 10 years of suffering. Any way I was preparing for coming major pull back in overvalued markets.

https://www.history.com/topics/great...ession-history

Great Depression History

"The Great Depression was the worst economic downturn in the history of the industrialized world, lasting from the stock market crash of 1929 to 1939."

Last edited by Valuegrowth; 20-04-2024 at 02:45 PM.

@WinfieldSmart

1. 2008
    2. 1929
    3. 1974

Bring it on I say.
    Ready to load up!
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Bring it on I say.
    Ready to load up!
    Hell yeah. Bring on the pain. 1929 style.

Investments

@WinfieldSmart

1. 2008
    2. 1929
    3. 1974

It shows one of the markets have got it wrong ...I will bet its bond market which got it wrong ...over exuberance and moving all over the place shows that they dont have a clue while stocks are still following eps growth etc ...only their rates call for over all valuation purposes maybe little off the mark but that wont lead to big disaster as one expecting ie 50% corrections etc .... Companies are doing well due to innovation and economy doing well ...thus long term rates tanking to invert the curve seems like a wrong move ....not NVDA going parabolic

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    It shows one of the markets have got it wrong ...I will bet its bond market which got it wrong ...over exuberance and moving all over the place shows that they dont have a clue while stocks are still following eps growth etc ...only their rates call for over all valuation purposes maybe little off the mark but that wont lead to big disaster as one expecting ie 50% corrections etc .... Companies are doing well due to innovation and economy doing well ...thus long term rates tanking to invert the curve seems like a wrong move ....not NVDA going parabolic
    Yeah I agree, although we could still see a 10 - 20% correction.

Covid saw a 40% correction only to bounce back swiftly and that was with half the world shutting down.

Netanyahu is the outlier. That guy is open to doing anything.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Liam Dann on why The Aussie economy is stronger and more productive per person than ours and why yet again we lose so many NZ citizens to Australia.

I won’t post some of his main conclusions as it will be boring for some to hear again. I suspect that many from those segments of society that have a high propensity to actually vote will find it boring and will dismiss the conclusions as being woke or yet another attempt to disrupt the “Kiwi way of doing things”. We will probably have to wait until NZ is changed more by immigration from developing countries and/or things get a whole lot worse. Maybe NZ needs to become a big Southern version of Fiji, a country with friendly people, but with economic challenges and low living standards.

Why So Many Kiwis Are Leaving for Australia (Paywalled)
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...LODXQI5LDNOGI/
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-04-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Liam Dann on why The Aussie economy is stronger and more productive per person than ours and why yet again we lose so many NZ citizens to Australia.

I won’t post some of his main conclusions as it will be boring for some to hear again. I suspect that many from those segments of society that have a high propensity to actually vote will find it boring and will dismiss the conclusions as being woke or yet another attempt to disrupt the “Kiwi way of doing things”. We will probably have to wait until NZ is changed more by immigration from developing countries and/or things get a whole lot worse. Maybe NZ needs to become a big Southern version of Fiji, a country with friendly people, but with economic challenges and low living standards.

One thing that would quickly put us in a better light would be an Hiroshima event in the northern hemisphere.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

Well you do bang on about a capital gains tax a lot. Alot of people agree with you on that.

But Liam's conclusion is that maybe after mineral wealth a capital gains tax and forcing people to save for their own retirement are the two big differences between the countries.

I expect to see a lot more work being done providing for your own retirement after 2029-2030. Much like tertiary education I think we will find it is not affordable after this date and serious sacrifices will have to be made by younger generations.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I expect to see a lot more work being done providing for your own retirement after 2029-2030. Much like tertiary education I think we will find it is not affordable after this date and serious sacrifices will have to be made by younger generations.
    The younger generation that is leaving for Australia in increasing numbers…So will we have an immigrant younger population, waiting for its opportunity to skip over to Oz, supporting a retired NZ citizenry in their big houses? Our version of Italian villages full of retired folk as the young have moved to Northern Europe.

Liam Dann did say that despite not having mineral wealth, NZ did abound with other bounties from nature.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-04-2024 at 05:46 PM.