sharetrader
Page 519 of 1893 FirstFirst ... 1941946950951551651751851952052152252352956961910191519 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,190 of 18922

Thread: Black Monday

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...lion-buy-order
    Zero Hedge says stocks soared because of a giant end-of-quarter rebalancing out of bonds and into stocks by pension funds, due to a jarring divergence between equity and bond performances both in Q4 and December.
    The stocks in the bank's pro forma pension asset blend had suffered a 14% loss this quarter, including about an 8.5% drop in December. Contrast this with a roughly +1.6% quarterly total return for the domestic aggregate bond index.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    As every good salesman knows, you try and advance your position as far as you can, before actually sitting down at the negotiation table.
    I'm hoping a lot of the rhetoric from Trump (e.g. "I'm a tariff man") which is contributing to the instability in the markets is just brinksmanship, & that since his re-election in 2020 more than anything depends on good economic numbers, we will see deals being made with China in the new year & a winding back of the inflammatory stuff which is making the markets so twitchy.
    trouble with Trump is that he operates on ego rather than for america in general

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I won't be surprised if the N.Z. market is not euphoric about that after all we were closed and couldn't react to the 650 point fall on Christmas eve U.S. time so a net gain of about 400 points on the DOW. Despite this one day rebound this is probably still the worst December on the U.S. markets since the great depression of 1929 !
    at time of reading it is looking like we are back where we started..maybe a small net loss...crazy times....seriously ..what were the odds of a further bounce after yesterday...It almost had to correct a little at least-----Some say one more rally ...and then the big one,down---will be interesting to watch..9not sure if that was ''wave theory'' or what)
    Last edited by skid; 28-12-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Guru

Makes sense.Returns now driven by statistics & machines. Da !Who dares fight the thread trend?

IMO

Some pundits and talking heads picking 2 final big up days to finish 2018. If so i will be glad to have another opp to take more off the table.

Mostly in Dividend stocks with low debt. Sold/Reduced exposer to everything directly related to consumer or housing Markets. KiwiSaver in 100% Cash, doing nicely all things considered. Holding/Building reserves of Yen and silver.

All hatches battened down. Ready for the Storm! Hoping for the best! 2019 will be an interesting year.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeverQuestion View Post
    Mostly in Dividend stocks with low debt. Sold/Reduced exposer to everything directly related to consumer or housing Markets. KiwiSaver in 100% Cash, doing nicely all things considered. Holding/Building reserves of Yen and silver.

All hatches battened down. Ready for the Storm! Hoping for the best! 2019 will be an interesting year.
    If my farm is one of the best farms in the district or region, should I sell it because the dairy payout is going to be low over the next couple of years?
    Or should I ride the storm out and wait for better times which have always come. If I sell it, when I try to buy similar, similar might be too expensive when the good times come back as they always have.
    I'm not moving!

Quote Originally Posted by Brovendell View Post
    If my farm is one of the best farms in the district or region, should I sell it because the dairy payout is going to be low over the next couple of years?
    Or should I ride the storm out and wait for better times which have always come. If I sell it, when I try to buy similar, similar might be too expensive when the good times come back as they always have.
    I'm not moving!
    I'm just a retail investor so probably not the best to ask. But personally, if I had an asset such as a farm and the Maths still look good even if the milk price drops say 30-40% then I would hold onto it.

I'm actually holding ALF and still expecting growth in this area. Farming is still one of the core industries as far as NZ exports and I don't see that changing.

Housing and Stocks however is a different story. I see bad times ahead.

But like all predictions. They are just that. No one ever truly knows.

I have locked down what little investments I have just in case. I dont have much but maybe it will help me get a house one day. So if there looks to be a down turn I'm going on the defensive just in case.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brovendell View Post
    I'm not moving!
    Not quite comparing Cows with cows here ... A farm is a relatively illiquid investment- apart from the milk with substantially more transaction costs and a wide spread involved to buy or sell.
    Stocks can be turned around in seconds, minutes, days , months etc , no such thing as similiar an AAPL share is an AAPL share ......only difference is in the price paid / sold .....