sharetrader
Page 384 of 1900 FirstFirst ... 2843343743803813823833843853863873883944344848841384 ... LastLast
Results 3,831 to 3,840 of 18991

Thread: Black Monday

Membaa

Default Don't predict it, just do it when it's time to be done.

Conventional wisdom, kudos and hat tip to Phaedrus and Hoop.

Attachment 9466

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Are people planning to sell if possible tomorrow and then buy back in again once things have settled or are people going to hold on, tough it out and then top up? Not sure whether to rush for the door or wait and watch

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    HaHa, we all know what happens when a crowd tries to rush through a single door exit all at once. PS-Looking promising for my A2 top up.
    I have already put in sell orders for a quarter of my portfolio, and buy orders for the same shares at a lower price

You might have just answered my question BaaBaa .... sell then wait then buy...

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    You might have just answered my question BaaBaa .... sell then wait then buy...
    It helps to have a personal strategy and a plan. ST is neither. Yeah, it's lonely having to make your own decisions. Peace of mind comes with time, experience and ... action.

Banned

Are people planning to sell if possible tomorrow and then buy back in again once things have settled or are people going to hold on, tough it out and then top up? Not sure whether to rush for the door or wait and watch
    Hey RB, which door are you planning to exit through, the red or the green one?

I really don't want to tell you what to do, but the biggest mistakes I've made on the market have involved selling.. I tend to remember, an investment is something that has intrinsic value – that is, it would be worth owning from a financial perspective, even if you could never sell it.
    Last edited by huxley; 06-02-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: SPACE BAR

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    It helps to have a personal strategy and a plan. ST is neither. Yeah, it's lonely having to make your own decisions. Peace of mind comes with time, experience and ... action.
    Oh I do have a plan Baa Baa, I plan to buy at the bottom and watch them go up! Just wasnt sure if I should sell some first and wondered what you seasoned gurus thought. But yes everyone needs to have their own strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I really don't want to tell you what to do, but the biggest mistakes I've made on the market have involved selling.. I tend to remember, an investment is something that has intrinsicvalue – that is, it would be worth owning from a financial perspective, even ifyou could never sell it.
    Thanks huxley, I have decided to hold and use it as an oportunity to top up and buy some good quality shares at a cheaper price.

In my limited understanding , if i sell, i pay 33% tax on the profit. Now depending on how much that is , depends on if its worth it ot not , as you need to buy back at a 1/3 lower than you profit was.
    So if i sell at $ 10 and make $3 profit i will need to buy back at 9 to break even ?
    If i sell at $10 and only make $1 i need to buy back at $9.66, or something like to break even

if i buy back lower, i make money, if i buy back higher than 2/3 of my profit i loose. At least thats how i see trading ......
    I,m probably wrong ,

but thats why investing can be better...... The less trades you do the less tax you pay on each one loosing you a1/3 each time ..

so for me i think if my profit is not much, i will probably sell if it goes past the MA 50.
    if i have a bigger profit i might just hang on

does that sound logical ?