sharetrader
Page 692 of 1899 FirstFirst ... 19259264268268868969069169269369469569670274279211921692 ... LastLast
Results 6,911 to 6,920 of 18985

Thread: Black Monday

I red somewhere today that a fund manager thinks we're in no mans land.
    Too late to sell and to soon to buy.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Id certainly agree with that sentiment.

IMO

Thats how i feel too atpit, i was so sure of more big drops but all these Gimungus stimulations going on have bounced the economy side of peoples brains and dislocated their Human side. Reminds me of this superb movie and makes me wonder about human booby traps we little investors are ,enmeshed in amongst the algorithms, bots, ruthless banks, Instos, manipulators and the privileged big boys.

PreviewPreview2:03No Man's Land (2001) - French

It's that way for sure so I'm just doing things around the edges like drip feeding into index funds on a weekly basis and the other week I switched my kiwisaver fund from conservative (30 per cent equities) to 100 per cent equities. My switch must have happened around 23 March because I went from being 13 per cent down to just 6 per cent down this week. A bright spot in what has been the worst month since October 1987 for me.

Doing these sort of things makes me feel Like I'm taking the fight to the bear without stressing me out too much.

I do love the drip feed into index funds. I do it no matter what so a down day is never a completely bad day in a sense.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 03-04-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Advanced Member

Have decided I am going to ride this out the old fashioned way and wait for the Coppock curve to turn up before investing again. It generally works well enough in these big bear selloffs.

Nothing to suggest it does not go lower from here. Only thing that would get me buying would be treatment breakthrough.

50888390-7BB8-4465-A0D7-F47FEE2F2956.jpg
    Last edited by ratkin; 04-04-2020 at 07:45 AM.

too much unknowns to invest

might even get worse , hope ardern realises this. after watching her on close up she seemed to think containing it in waves would be good as far as lock down goes. well WHO thinks differently.

Countries that rush to lift quarantine restrictions designed to contain the coronavirus pandemic risk an “even more severe and prolonged” economic downturn and a resurgence in COVID-19 cases

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/who-...o-economy.html

heres industry breakdown of job losses , similar it will be in NZ. interesting that health care workers losing lots of jobs must be to do with deaths?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/this...arch-2020.html
    Last edited by bull....; 04-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Lots of uncertainties for sure. Will go lower most likely but I accumulated 8 years of cash going into this (and another 2 years of living expenses in a bond fund), if I'm not starting to deploy it now, I may never start deploying it. I invested a chunk at - 10 per cent, some at minus 20 per cent and some on 23 March when the market was close to - 35 per cent (almost - 40 per cent for the ASX!).

I'm just dollar cost averaging from now on. At 52 per cent equities going into this I've still lost a ton of money. I was not cashed up like most Sharetraders it seems.

PS - like many of us I've been following Gundlach and Marks for years and they seem to know what they're doing. So I'm under no illusion how uglier this could get it. However a little bit of dollar cost averaging never hurt anyone, I think.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...as-yet-to-come
    Last edited by Bobdn; 04-04-2020 at 12:26 PM.

I'd rather invest at regular intervals as time goes on from here. We'll eventually come out of this and the markets will again reach ATH's at some point in the future.

The people trying to time the bottom and then invest at that one point is a bit silly. To me its the same thing as everyone who tried to predict when the next recession would happen and sit on the sidelines and miss out on the growth period that was 2016-2019..

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    I'd rather invest at regular intervals as time goes on from here. We'll eventually come out of this and the markets will again reach ATH's at some point in the future.

The people trying to time the bottom and then invest at that one point is a bit silly. To me its the same thing as everyone who tried to predict when the next recession would happen and sit on the sidelines and miss out on the growth period that was 2016-2019..
    ill probably dollar cost average at some stage when fundamentals catch up with reality.

reality example being sky city saying they will now be only a domestic operation for many years to come ( int travel is not going to rebound quickly) probably with a much reduced dividend to go with that.

should i invest now? or when reality of the world catches up with there reporting ? and i have a better idea of there dividend policy going forward. everyone must decide for them selves.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Have decided I am going to ride this out the old fashioned way and wait for the Coppock curve to turn up before investing again. It generally works well enough in these big bear selloffs.

Nothing to suggest it does not go lower from here. Only thing that would get me buying would be treatment breakthrough.

50888390-7BB8-4465-A0D7-F47FEE2F2956.jpg
    Is that chart a free to access site ?