sharetrader
Page 557 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 5745750754755355455555655755855956056156760765710571557 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 18813

Thread: Black Monday

IMO

Was reading a westpac handout while waiting in queue yest. They est prop prices gaining 7% after the cap gains tax quash , low int rates, inflation etc.

I dont believe the adage "its time in the market, not timing the market" Also when everyone says its all good and its going to get better, I tend to get a bit cautious. Too many pundits see a sp go up dramatically and suggest it is a buy, and conversely when it drops dramatically, its time to sell. I just dont understand this thinking. Only thing that makes me think the market is not going to crash and burn, is that interest rates are going to stay low for a few years yet.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    I dont believe the adage "its time in the market, not timing the market" Also when everyone says its all good and its going to get better, I tend to get a bit cautious. Too many pundits see a sp go up dramatically and suggest it is a buy, and conversely when it drops dramatically, its time to sell. I just dont understand this thinking. Only thing that makes me think the market is not going to crash and burn, is that interest rates are going to stay low for a few years yet.
    Each to his/her own, tho' I can't help wondering if you ever have read 'The intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham?

May have read that one, but over the years I have read so many books, I cant remember them all. All I can say is if those authors knew it all, they would be too busy investing to write books. If their secrets worked so well why are they selling books on what they think they know. I think througout an investing career, there are ups and downs. Its amazing how people tell them selves they are such great investors, when they encounter a long term bull market.

Membaa

Market seems to have gone a little over the top lately. Everything seems to be going up. Time to sell up and wait it out a bit?
    Given your responses, was this meant as a question?

Bottom feeder....if you are in the market just consider the stocks you are holding, are their prices fair for what they do, what are they saying they are GOING to do? If you are into index funds, how is the sentiment for that arena? Just because things are hot, it doesn’t mean it is bad. Take the S&P500 that was booming late last year based on some heady momentum on a set of 5 or 6 stocks but then it dropped a lot at Xmas the overall P/e had dropped considerably, and through the first part of the year, it picked up again. There are great stocks in there...for me, it is about selecting carefully based on an the past and the estimated future - I try to read carefully around the mood and strategic view and it hasn’t seen me fully wrong as of yet. (Note: I did sell up a large set of shares in June 18 as the fundamentals didn’t stack up...mostly FAANG stocks and that paid off nicely. In NZ, I boosted my holdings on stocks with good value fundamentals and futures that I believe in.

Outside thinking.

May have read that one, but over the years I have read so many books, I cant remember them all. All I can say is if those authors knew it all, they would be too busy investing to write books......etc
    Crikey bottomfeeder you are the Guru! I'd better start selling my shares (and books) and start building a bunker!!

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    beyond meat on fire , the future of real meat is doomed lol
    beyond meat has come down with a thud today
    Last edited by bull....; 12-06-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: beyond instead of my meat
    one step ahead of the herd

May have read that one, but over the years I have read so many books, I cant remember them all. All I can say is if those authors knew it all, they would be too busy investing to write books. If their secrets worked so well why are they selling books on what they think they know. I think througout an investing career, there are ups and downs. Its amazing how people tell them selves they are such great investors, when they encounter a long term bull market.
    LOL - you can't remember Benjamin Graham? Trust me, he didn't write his books to become rich - he made his money with investing. And - ah, yes - Warren Buffett learned from him (Ben Graham was one of his teachers and mentors), but you probably don't know that guy either ?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    LOL - you can't remember Benjamin Graham? Trust me, he didn't write his books to become rich - he made his money with investing. And - ah, yes - Warren Buffett learned from him (Ben Graham was one of his teachers and mentors), but you probably don't know that guy either ?
    And of course BP there was your namesake Peter Lynch - a legend
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”