sharetrader
Page 498 of 1899 FirstFirst ... 3984484884944954964974984995005015025085485989981498 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 4,980 of 18988

Thread: Black Monday

I for one appreciated the stability in the US markets overnight

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peitro View Post
    Only numb skull "stable genius" Trump somehow made the Thanksgiving address all about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Peitro View Post
    yea i got to have a sleep in nice.

anyway the futures are not looking good for when the us markets re open at this stage.

The bad news is that the S&P 500 has only started the fourth quarter this horribly five other times in history, according to Bespoke. And those years are all infamous. Besides 2008, these years include the Great Depression (1929, 1932 and 1937) as well as 1987 during the Black Monday crash.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/21/investing/stock-market-worst-start-2008/index.html
    one step ahead of the herd

Permanent Newbie

Bull your a real downer lately. I like it, I have been waiting a long time for the next leg down since 2008/09. Maybe this is the big one. Margin calls will mean more selling then, when uneducated investors see their passive index fund values dropping they will join the exodus, funds will have to sell to meet redemptions. Baby Boomers close to retirement might panic even worse and as people close their wallets, some over indebted companies might turn into crappy investments. Yield and cashflow might become more important than growth and capital gain. Doom and despair. Hopefully only enough for me to make some investments at reasonable prices, not so much that people are put out of work or suffer. Could still be a monetary crisis first and my savings get wiped out before I can invest them. Who knows, I saw a goose the other day perhaps I should have read its entrails as to what the future holds as this would as useful as anything to guide my soothsaying.
    Last edited by Aaron; 23-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Veteran novice

Be careful what you wish for, Aaron!

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Be careful what you wish for, Aaron!

I think its been said before, more debt and lower interest rates aren't really a solution to a problem of too much debt. Current measures are just pushing the problem into the future making any adjustment even worse. I don't wish ill on anyone but protecting reckless bankers and destroying savers and investors to save speculators and overspending politicians egged on by the voting public wanting a free lunch as well as exacerbating the divide between the haves and have nots isn't that great either in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I think its been said before, more debt and lower interest rates aren't really a solution to a problem of too much debt. Current measures are just pushing the problem into the future making any adjustment even worse. I don't wish ill on anyone but protecting reckless bankers and destroying savers and investors to save speculators and overspending politicians egged on by the voting public wanting a free lunch as well as exacerbating the divide between the haves and have nots isn't that great either in my opinion.
    Agreed. However - this doesn't mean it's not going to happen again.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Investors are showing a clear preference for quality stocks (companies) with less debt, stable businesses and some defensive characteristics. Outlook could get ugly for oil and the NASDAQ. Is it time to buy quality stocks with stable businesses and recurring revenue?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...onomy/10517720

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-tec...reets-turkeys/

https://www.reuters.com/article/japa...-idUSL4N1XX2T9

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Crypto's relatively calm in comparison,go figure!
    Yep pretty suspicious
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12165209

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    I agree with the article, there is nothing real behind cryptocurrency other than carefully orchestrated crime and greed. They can't even find who the sellers are, or who is involved. Smoke and mirrors.... Mind over matter, in the words of a pusher in an Auckland court, your savings are gone, I don't mind and you don't matter