sharetrader
Page 439 of 442 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439440441442 LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,780 of 8840

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #8761
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

    4. Get rid of the RMA ASAP.
    The RMA is in the process of being replaced - not removed. And it will be replaced by several pieces of legislation not one.

    Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    4 - allow people to build whatever they want next door to you
    Hit the nail on the head. People don't want less rules, they want more rules - all for their neighbour.
    So don't expect red tape to go anywhere soon.

  2. #8762
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    Jacinda Ardern says public bears some responsibility for housing crisis after failed taxation attempts

    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ation-attempts

    why raise taxes ? just build the infrastructure and increase supply. is it really that hard.
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  3. #8763
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Jacinda Ardern says public bears some responsibility for housing crisis after failed taxation attempts

    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ation-attempts

    why raise taxes ? just build the infrastructure and increase supply. is it really that hard.
    Shouldn't be hard, but neither National nor Labor managed to do something about it over the last 20 years or so. Maybe it is one of these things where talk is cheap and easy but achieving something really tough?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  4. #8764
    Membaa
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Jacinda Ardern says public bears some responsibility for housing crisis after failed taxation attempts

    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ation-attempts

    why raise taxes ? just build the infrastructure and increase supply. is it really that hard.
    I wouldnít be blaming the public for under supply of infrastructure, the public canít fix that, but likewise blaming the government as so many do is imo misplaced as well.

    When it all boils down government only has money and laws and administration, there are some powerful levers there that can expedite development but government per se does not build anything. Nothing, it builds nothing.

    There is unprecedented amounts of money from government, a willingness to relax the regulatory situation and plenty of administration to oversee development, but they, government donít build any of it, not a thing,

    So where are the real problems? Not in government per se. They canít and wonít suddenly start building stuff! The problem imo is, regulation is cumbersome, they can relax that. Demand is booming, they canít fix that, except indirectly ameliorate it a bit. Supply is inadequate, but no amount of money fixes that.

    So why is supply inadequate? Well, partly because it takes a long time to build stuff and the supply side builders and construction and fabricators and the whole supply chain respond to the current and predictable market but donít over respond because next thing they know some other event happens and thereís not enough work or money.

    Tbh if NZ really wants to fix housing supply, it needs to embrace public private partnerships, foreign builders at scale, rapid development through cookie cutter design and construction, build off site at scale, erect on site quickly.

    Simple as it sounds, despite unprecedented money, which the government is throwing at the Ďproblemí (massive eye watering money) the build side still relies on domestic build capacity which is inadequate, and design build methodology which is woefully slow and cannot easily scale to meet demand in a timely way.

    Itís easy and convenient to blame the government, but doesnít get to the problem, nor does Jacinda blaming the public (naive). Itís really about relaxing the regulatory environment and encouraging new methodology that enables design, build, construct .., at scale, in a timely way. Other countries do it, so can we.

  5. #8765
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Jacinda Ardern says public bears some responsibility for housing crisis after failed taxation attempts

    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ation-attempts

    why raise taxes ? just build the infrastructure and increase supply. is it really that hard.
    Always thd fault of others, never her and her team of incompetents.

    Would not know how to run a bath, let alone a government which delivers on promises.

  6. #8766
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ng-bright-line

    IRD targeting property investors who have not disclosed or paid tax under the bright line rule.

    Means investors will hang onto their properties longer, reducing supply to the market and boosting property prices even more.

  7. #8767
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ng-bright-line

    IRD targeting property investors who have not disclosed or paid tax under the bright line rule.

    Means investors will hang onto their properties longer, reducing supply to the market and boosting property prices even more.
    exactly and raising the home grant will add fuel as well. councils are not releasing land as they dont have money for infrastructure.
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  8. #8768
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    bitcoin nearing my 20k target , could be short term who knows lol but the rise in bitcoin seems to be at the expense of gold.

    anyway on digital currencies it looks like they are being ramped up to replace paper money sooner than you think. china just conducted a trial of there digital currency in real time and the fed is ramping up there work into one. ( digital currencies give central banks lots more tools in there tool box to smooth the economies) heres a article on whats coming

    Programmable Digital Currencies Are Coming - Here's What That Means

    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/prog...ans-2020-08-18
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  9. #8769
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...ng-bright-line

    IRD targeting property investors who have not disclosed or paid tax under the bright line rule.

    Means investors will hang onto their properties longer, reducing supply to the market and boosting property prices even more.
    Good that they will target those who break the rules.
    Supply of housing means houses that are available - how does not selling a house reduce supply? The house can still house someone.
    'Supply to the market' - does selling a house on a regular basis help anything? The issues is not enough houses rather than not selling them often enough.
    Rearranging the ownership type for houses does nothing for supply.

  10. #8770
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    rural canterbury
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    bitcoin nearing my 20k target , could be short term who knows lol but the rise in bitcoin seems to be at the expense of gold.

    anyway on digital currencies it looks like they are being ramped up to replace paper money sooner than you think. china just conducted a trial of there digital currency in real time and the fed is ramping up there work into one. ( digital currencies give central banks lots more tools in there tool box to smooth the economies) heres a article on whats coming

    Programmable Digital Currencies Are Coming - Here's What That Means


    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/prog...ans-2020-08-18

    Interesting article. I can see the attraction for central banks/govt and I can also see why the populace would be attracted to alternatives (eg. bitcoin) outside the system but I would think the govt, having gone to the effort of transferring to a digital currency, would want to eliminate the digital competition. After all, the benefits of an official digital currency would depend on it being the only significant digital currency. I can't see that being good for bitcoin?

  11. #8771
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    A recent Supreme Court decision will change the nature and impact of class actions in New Zealand, with consequences for consumers, investors, corporates, litigation funders and insurers

    It seems likely that opt-out class actions will become more common in New Zealand. If the Australian and American experience of opt-out class actions is anything to go by, this will likely mean corporates, and particularly companies listed on the NZX or ASX, may face a greater risk of such a claim

    https://www.interest.co.nz/personal-...-class-actions

    so litigation funders will move on NZ now against companies that do bad stuff .... no more bending the rules eh



    Last edited by bull....; 03-12-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  12. #8772
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    markets looking good into end of year .... wonder when santa will come this year or was he early this year in november?

    on the local front

    Australia Sounds Alarm on Trade as China Row Slams Farm Exports


    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

    potential for NZ to sell more?


    Zespri signs on with Chinese state-owned firm to buy illicit SunGold kiwifruit

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...gold-kiwifruit

    looks like zespri has a lose lose situation , i thought china was all into win win lol anyway they are now forced into a joint venture with a chinese firm and must pay ransom money to local kiwifruit growers who stole there ip.

    this is how china develops there local market according to the link below they force joint ventures take the IP and know how and use it to develop there own market. So in the longer term zespri market in china will stall and potentially decline as local firms replace there product with there own.

    https://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/f...20the%20US.pdf

    Communities will suffer' as $28b Reserve Bank scheme advantages big banks

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123...ages-big-banks

    more money for the aussies banks at the expense of locally owned





    Last edited by bull....; 07-12-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  13. #8773
    FEAR n GREED JBmurc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    7,348

    Default

    The U.S stock market has rose $5.2 trillion so far in 2020.

    During that same period 5 million people have become unemployed.

    The disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street is simply astonishing...

  14. #8774
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Zespri signs on with Chinese state-owned firm to buy illicit SunGold kiwifruit

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...gold-kiwifruit

    looks like zespri has a lose lose situation , i thought china was all into win win lol anyway they are now forced into a joint venture with a chinese firm and must pay ransom money to local kiwifruit growers who stole there ip.

    this is how china develops there local market according to the link below they force joint ventures take the IP and know how and use it to develop there own market. So in the longer term zespri market in china will stall and potentially decline as local firms replace there product with there own.

    https://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/f...20the%20US.pdf
    The best of a bad situation I guess and some irony in China re-acquiring kiwifruit from NZ. Bad news long term for Zespri, Seeka and the local Kiwifruit industry but is just how the CCP parts of China does business. Respect for intellectual property or other's creativity is not a consideration and there's no legal system to help you. Business and investors need to see the relationship and market for what it is.

    ďWe hope that with our world-leading management technology and best practices, we can help Chinese growers improve their growing techniques and increase their income,Ē Zespri chief executive Daniel Mathieson was quoted as saying.
    This is what I would say if I was CEO but it is not what I would do. The last thing Zespri should do is teach their involuntary state owned Chinese partner best practices in how to grow the fruit and manage their orchards. Once the partner has learned all their is to know, Zespri will have a new global competitor at half the price. Hopefully we are not still this naive. After the Lion Nathan, Rakon, Fonterra, and other disasters with Chinese state or state approved partners.

    All businesses/industries reliant on the China market should have a risk premium applied.

  15. #8775
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    The best of a bad situation I guess and some irony in China re-acquiring kiwifruit from NZ. Bad news long term for Zespri, Seeka and the local Kiwifruit industry but is just how the CCP parts of China does business. Respect for intellectual property or other's creativity is not a consideration and there's no legal system to help you. Business and investors need to see the relationship and market for what it is.



    This is what I would say if I was CEO but it is not what I would do. The last thing Zespri should do is teach their involuntary state owned Chinese partner best practices in how to grow the fruit and manage their orchards. Once the partner has learned all their is to know, Zespri will have a new global competitor at half the price. Hopefully we are not still this naive. After the Lion Nathan, Rakon, Fonterra, and other disasters with Chinese state or state approved partners.

    All businesses/industries reliant on the China market should have a risk premium applied.
    thats what fonterra did with teaching the chinese joint venture partner best practice for farm management .... and we know what happened to fonterra after
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  16. #8776
    Update Ready To Install
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Floating Anchor Shoals
    Posts
    9,136

    Default

    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12958950 China getting meaner.Bullies.

  17. #8777
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12958950 China getting meaner.Bullies.
    Chinese are great learners. US president de-elect taught them how to treat trading partners.

    ... but they probably didn't needed Trumps lessons, maybe they are just courteous and modelling their behavior on Australia?

    Australia is breaking human rights regularly (asylum seekers, deportees, war crimes). Australia is breaking trade regulations as a matter of course (non tariff import restrictions) and very happy to change international relationships unilaterally. Bullied NZ often enough around, didn't they?

    Australia is still arrogant enough to think they can lecture others in these matters despite ignoring international agreements they signed. Maybe they picked this time the wrong victim? China is not NZ and just asking how high they have to jump if the bully asks them to do so? China is hitting back.

    While I don't like the Chinese system, government or human rights records - good on them for standing up to the Australian bullies.

    Maybe Australia found somebody who can teach them a lesson or two ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 08-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  18. #8778
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    rural canterbury
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

    US president de-elect taught them how to treat trading partners..........
    modelling their behavior on Australia.....
    Maybe Australia found somebody who can teach them a lesson or two ......
    Problem is, the only lesson anyone is learning is that you "win" by bullying people weaker than you. Not a great lesson in any context but particularly bad in this context if you happen to be a small, weak, isolated trading nation.

  19. #8779
    Legend peat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,724

    Default

    markets appear to be losing momentum ...... imo.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

  20. #8780
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Problem is, the only lesson anyone is learning is that you "win" by bullying people weaker than you. Not a great lesson in any context but particularly bad in this context if you happen to be a small, weak, isolated trading nation.
    I know ... just tried to remind people that it was the West (including Australia) introducing the internationally more and more prevailing bully culture. We always have been happy with the law of the jungle as long as we were been the stronger ones.

    Futile to complain about the situation and difficult to change the rules of engagement as soon as we see us on the losing end. However - I think first Australia should clean up their own record and then they could friendly ask for China to play fair as well ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •