sharetrader
Page 1004 of 1016 FirstFirst ... 45049049549941000100110021003100410051006100710081014 ... LastLast
Results 10,031 to 10,040 of 10157

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #10031
    ShareTrader Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,049

    Default

    fed well behind the curve expecting the unexpected this yr
    bull
    One step ahead of the herd

  2. #10032
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default

    The NZD took a monster dump and oil exploded "to the upside" (it went up, lol).

    Black Monday for 99.2 per cent of all vehicle owners and 100 per cent of all consumers.

    Hmm...the governmedia is strangely silent about the highest fuel prices this country has ever seen. Its much higher than in 2018 when the governmedia was very keen to make all sorts of announcements...and accusations.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 15-01-2022 at 11:17 PM.

  3. #10033
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A Hawk in the Bay
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    The NZD took a monster dump and oil exploded "to the upside" (it went up, lol).

    Black Monday for 99.2 per cent of all vehicle owners and 100 per cent of all consumers.

    Hmm...the governmedia is strangely silent about the highest fuel prices this country has ever seen. Its much higher than in 2018 when the governmedia was very keen to make all sorts of announcements...and accusations.

    Could be something to do with Govt's large bloated rake off included in the end price, with all the extra
    nonsense add-ons they've thrown in on top while in session, hoping it wouldn't be noticed
    ... the fine art of sniffing out debits & credits hidden under the carpet can pay dividends ...

  4. #10034
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    wellington
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    The NZD took a monster dump and oil exploded "to the upside" (it went up, lol).

    Black Monday for 99.2 per cent of all vehicle owners and 100 per cent of all consumers.

    Hmm...the governmedia is strangely silent about the highest fuel prices this country has ever seen. Its much higher than in 2018 when the governmedia was very keen to make all sorts of announcements...and accusations.
    You say highest, is this in absolute terms, or have you taken into account inflation? Also what is the cost of the fuel before GST, NLTF and other levies?

    Are you advocating for government intervention of some sort?

  5. #10035
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default

    No, no. The last thing we need from this governmedia is another market intervention which seems to always end up making things worse. The new responsible lending laws for example, have caused real issues for so many people.

    However, if fuel prices keep rising, the Governmedia is going to have to blame someone else so will again initiate a series of announcements and reviews to find the guilty party. Anything to take attention away from the monster taxes that nztx mentions above (good point nztx) and things like the oil and gas exploration ban. Now of course I realize that NZ has no control over oil prices but less than two years ago the Governmedia took ownership of fuel prices and introduced measures it said would create greater competition in the fuel market and reduce the price of fuel - up to 30 cents a litre in some cases (lol). So they can't really throw their hands up now and say "it's nothing to do with us!".

    In terms of Black Monday, I'm guessing (what would I know so this is just a guess) that out of control energy prices and inflation in general will be kind of a big deal over the next few years and dominate every aspect of politics and be the major factor in investment returns.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 17-01-2022 at 08:19 PM.

  6. #10036
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    No, no. The last thing we need from this governmedia is another market intervention which seems to always end up making things worse. The new responsible lending laws for example, have caused real issues for so many people.

    However, if fuel prices keep rising, the Governmedia is going to have to blame someone else so will again initiate a series of announcements and reviews to find the guilty party. Anything to take attention away from the monster taxes that nztx mentions above (good point nztx) and things like the oil and gas exploration ban. Now of course I realize that NZ has no control over oil prices but less than two years ago the Governmedia took ownership of fuel prices and introduced measures it said would create greater competition in the fuel market and reduce the price of fuel - up to 30 cents a litre in some cases (lol). So they can't really throw their hands up now and say "it's nothing to do with us!".

    In terms of Black Monday, I'm guessing (what would I know so this is just a guess) that out of control energy prices and inflation in general will be kind of a big deal over the next few years and dominate every aspect of politics and be the major factor in investment returns.
    Is this the new "beat up the government" thread mixed with conspiracy theories?

    Isn't it interesting that right wing political losers always tend to finger-point to the media instead of acknowledging that it just was their fault that they didn't manage to set up a convincing alternative last election time.

    This is a democracy, work harder and provide a viable alternative and positive constructive opposition instead of just blaming others for the weaknesses of your ilk.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  7. #10037
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    953

    Default

    @Maclir You may have already seen this by now. This article sets out just how high petrol has got and yes, even accounting for inflation, we are at an historical high for petrol

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...storical-highs

    Brent has just ticked over to the highest price since 2014. Exciting times for sure.

    And on top of all that, US futures are down big.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 18-01-2022 at 09:17 PM.

  8. #10038
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Where's the demand for all this petrol?

    Break up the cartel...
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 18-01-2022 at 09:59 PM.

  9. #10039
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A Hawk in the Bay
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Where's the demand for all this petrol?

    Break up the cartel...

    No no .. Taxing them out of existence with every non descript duty, levy and other add-on in the name
    of paying some other unconnected dreamed up excuse should do the trick .. have to follow the official
    line, don't we ?

    Don't worry about looking at who pays the inflated trumped cost at the end of the line .. that doesn't matter one ioata either

    Has an Auckland Cycleways levy been added & attached yet or does that come out Auckland's chop of the regional action passed on ?
    Last edited by nztx; 18-01-2022 at 10:24 PM.
    ... the fine art of sniffing out debits & credits hidden under the carpet can pay dividends ...

  10. #10040
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    It's almost as if these same issues are happening in America too or something.

    I was meaning the middle-east/russia cartel (maybe a tax on dictators would be good).
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 18-01-2022 at 10:25 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •