sharetrader
Page 553 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 5345350354354955055155255355455555655756360365310531553 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,530 of 18813

Thread: Black Monday

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/harv...what-will.html

Something to keep in mind when your share portfolio goes down, or keep in mind at any time

That hedonic adaption thing is bang on the money...I've been fortunate to have some pretty fancy "stuff" but the novelty wears off after a few months and after a couple of year if that stuff involves expensive ongoing maintenance or marina fees it can become a burden.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-06-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/harv...what-will.html

Something to keep in mind when your share portfolio goes down, or keep in mind at any time

That hedonic adaption thing is bang on the money...I've been fortunate to have some pretty fancy "stuff" but the novelty wears off after a few months and after a couple of year if that stuff involves expensive ongoing maintenance or marina fees it can become a burden.
    King Solomon discovered this thousands of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    King Solomon discovered this thousands of years ago.
    Quite right, he did indeed.

Not a crime, (actually makes a good case for itself based on significantly increased accident survivability rate) to enjoy a decent car with all the mod cons like heated seats and the latest safety features though and can give enduring quiet satisfaction 365 days a year but owning a fancy boat that one might use on 15-20 days a year if one was lucky enough to have that amount of spare time when the weather is good in summer...I am not so sure about that !

Anyway we're drifting off topic. One expert on CNBC described investment in this Trumpet climate as "impossible"
    I see that the S&P 500 broke down through the 200 day moving average our time this morning.
    My sense is we could be in for a long cold winter until some progress is made on international trade issues.
    I am pretty cautious in this investment environment.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-06-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quite right, he did indeed.

Not a crime, (actually makes a good case for itself based on significantly increased accident survivability rate) to enjoy a decent car with all the mod cons like heated seats and the latest safety features though and can give enduring quiet satisfaction 365 days a year but owning a fancy boat that one might use on 15-20 days a year if one was lucky enough to have that amount of spare time when the weather is good in summer...I am not so sure about that !

Anyway we're drifting off topic. One expert on CNBC described investment in this Trumpet climate as "impossible"
    I see that the S&P 500 broke down through the 200 day moving average our time this morning.
    My sense is we could be in for a long cold winter until some progress is made on international trade issues.
    I am pretty cautious in this investment environment.
    usa markets might be all headed back to the bottom of those giant channels which have formed over the last year an bit. although dow utilities is at highs and NZ also , suggests nz being used as a bond proxy save haven trade.
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Am happy the NZX is closed today. Time for a breather. My picks for the next correction, which could happen tomorrow, or within the next year or so....ATM, CEN, TPW, VCT, GNE, SPK, ZEL,......and WHS, HLG BGP, SKT for a quick short term divy strip.

From where we are now, it seems like this nagging issue is actually a real thing. The seed has been planted that trade wars could be fought on multiple fronts with the Mexico decision. I'm not sure the fed will come to the party to cut rates but you never know with that either. Seems like the bond market has already priced in atleast one cut before the end of year..

Personally, I've been holding cash for awhile now, only bought one stock this year so far as I see the market so overvalued. Perhaps this could be the catalyst for some demand but I'll hold my breath. I'm starting to think it might be wiser to buy the s&p500 etf if it keeps falling. Still far from a price I would jump in at.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Am happy the NZX is closed today. Time for a breather. My picks for the next correction, which could happen tomorrow, or within the next year or so....ATM, CEN, TPW, VCT, GNE, SPK, ZEL,......and WHS, HLG BGP, SKT for a quick short term divy strip.
    Lol ATM is already down more than 10% based on FX cross rate today from its $16.98 high.

Consumer staples including ZEL along with Utilities and REIT's (excluding retail REITS) stand to benefit from ultra low interest rates going down even further.
    I think we may see the OCR at 1.00% in 2020.

Consumer staples including ZEL along with Utilities and REIT's (excluding retail REITS) stand to benefit from ultra low interest rates going down even further.
    I think we may see the OCR at 1.00% in 2020.
    Could will be the case

Need to cash in on Orr’s foolish unwarranted actions in the near term ......but be careful because 2021 or 2022 will see the damage he’s causing.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Lol ATM is already down more than 10% based on FX cross rate today from its $16.98 high.
    And down 2.9% is Aussie today.