sharetrader
Page 542 of 1882 FirstFirst ... 4244249253253853954054154254354454554655259264210421542 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 18813

Thread: Black Monday

Have a look at ATM & how the shorters are feeling - that's what this market is doing to those who have been bearish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Have a look at ATM & how the shorters are feeling - that's what this market is doing to those who have been bearish.
    Shorting ATM is nuts IMO but then again paying more than you have to if you can help it is also not prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I'm keenly waiting to see where the market heads in May-June after reaching these lofty heights.
    yes be interesting. see the yield curve is not inverted anymore was merley a temp blip
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I do but only enough to get me by week by week. It is immaterial and I believe it is for the majority of kiwi's. Those that have $100,000's in term deposits and other investments with banks should not be bailed out, just like if I invest in Snakk or Feltex or any other company that goes under I should not get bailed out. If there was a bail out proviso, it should be restricted to $2,000 or such so that those that can least afford to lose money are protected. But not amounts that are "investable".
    With asset (shares and property) prices at high levels, where should someone with say $NZ 1,000,000 place their money for safe capital preservation?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-04-2019 at 05:33 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    With asset (shares and property) prices at high levels, where should someone with say $NZ 1,000,000 place their money for safe capital preservation?

Have you sold your ATM shares?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Have you sold your ATM shares?
    Not all of them. I have reduced my holding in the last several months! Not anywhere near as much as a $ million...

I was referring to a hypothetical Million - About the value of an average Auckland house.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-04-2019 at 09:03 AM.

This is a problem that I grappled with early last year....net outcome was property looking at quality (I had intended to reduce my property portfolio by one). I also considered giving the funds to my bank for management (private banking) but couldn't stomach the %10K p.a. fee onto of the fund fees that were already charged (and they seemed to know less than me and were too prudent)...kept the property and funneling the cash (mortgage free on that one) into a conservative income generating managed fund (yes, paying fees) but currently getting a 6.65% net return with quarterly payments that are reinvested. I had also considered sending the funds off-shore to join my other funds but again, property was my answer (as things in Jan/Feb '18 seemed too hot) and I didn't want to hold property in another country without living in it. I think the NZX is a bit overpriced in the blue chip area and am not prepared to hold much in there, someone else I know has moved there %1m+ portfolio to Australia (they are income seekers). Glad I decided on property (I can use it for leverage for a new project) and an income fund....capital has been preserved and I can sleep at night.

“ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

There is an article on Warren Buffet in the Saturday herald which is worth a read.

For me The most interesting Buffet quote from the article is the following.

”People get smarter but they don’t get wiser. They don’t get more emotionally stable. All the conditions for overvaluation and undervaluation absolutely exist, the way they did 50 years ago.
    You can teach all you want to the people, you can tell them to read Ben Graham’s book, you can send them to graduate school, but when they are scared, they’re scared.”

He didn’t mention Greed.
    Last edited by Brain; 28-04-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    There is an article on Warren Buffet in the Saturday herald which is worth a read.

For me The most interesting Buffet quote from the article is the following.

”People get smarter but they don’t get wiser. They don’t get more emotionally stable. All the conditions for overvaluation and undervaluation absolutely exist, the way they did 50 years ago.
    You can teach all you want to the people, you can tell them to read Ben Graham’s book, you can send them to graduate school, but when they are scared, they’re scared.”

He didn’t mention Greed.
    Cool ...the greedy ones don’t get scared
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”