sharetrader
Page 552 of 1894 FirstFirst ... 5245250254254854955055155255355455555656260265210521552 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 18939

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Do you think that if trump doesn't get reelected, his replacement will cancel the trade war quickly?
    Hard to say - I guess there are some real issues which would need to be fixed. However - any successor could restart the relationship between the two countries with a clean slate. Trump clearly is burning bridges.

Interesting article in the New York Times written by Kevin Rudd:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/o...trade-war.html

But this is not just about whether Trump's successor will be a negotiator with integrity and cultural understanding. Trump is currently releasing a lot of nationalistic vibes in China. The question is whether any successor is able to bottle them up again. The damage Trump is creating every day might be irreversible - at least for a long time.

Last time it took the Chinese a century to get over the crimes the Americans and Europeans committed in their country.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    China has never forgotten, the Yanks keep reminding them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...80%9349:_China

"The U.S. government provided military, logistical and other aid to the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)
    army led by Chiang Kai-shek in its campaign against the Japanese, until the Japanese surrender to the
    United States in August of 1945. This surrender brought to an end the Japanese Puppet state of
    Manchukuo and the Japanese-dominated Wang Jingwei regime.
    After the Japanese surrender, the US continued to support the KMT. The US airlifted many KMT troops
    from central China to Manchuria. Approximately 50,000 U.S. troops were sent to guard strategic sites
    in Hupeh and Shandong. The U.S. trained and equipped KMT troops, and transported Korean troops and
    even enemy imperial Japanese troops back to help KMT forces to occupy Chinese zones and to contain
    Communist-controlled areas.[50] President Harry Truman explained that: "It was perfectly clear to us
    that if we told the Japanese to lay down their arms immediately and march to the seaboard, the entire
    country would be taken over by the Communists. We therefore had to take the unusual step of using the
    enemy as a garrison until we could airlift Chinese National troops to South China and send Marines to
    guard the seaports." Within less than two years after the Sino-Japanese War, the KMT had received
    $4.43 billion from the United States—most of which was military aid."

And Trumpets actions over Taiwan are not helping them forget!
    Actually - I was referring to the opium wars when filthy European and American drug dealers supplied the "Chinese market" with drugs and the British and American governments forced the Chinese government to tolerate this criminal behaviour in their own country.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

U.S. to Impose 5% Tariff on All Goods From Mexico, Trump Says

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ico-trump-says

this isnt good - futures tanking
    one step ahead of the herd

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Wish I could sue the US Government for pigheaded stupidity for this stuff....economic loss of value on investments.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterCat View Post
    Wish I could sue the US Government for pigheaded stupidity for this stuff....economic loss of value on investments.
    The Trumpet and his insiders are probably shorting the crap out of the stock market through all this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    The Trumpet and his insiders are probably shorting the crap out of the stock market through all this nonsense.
    It’s a mean evil world eh Couts
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Trump can't make such investment decisions because presidents always put their investments into blind trusts to prevent exactly that type of corruption... oh wait, no, trump refused to do that...

Guru

What are you guys smoking? I have just had a look at a 5 year chart of the Dow and the Nasdaq. I would take the last 2 1/2 years all day any day without a shadow of a doubt. Looks a lot better than the preceding 2 1/2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What are you guys smoking? I have just had a look at a 5 year chart of the Dow and the Nasdaq. I would take the last 2 1/2 years all day any day without a shadow of a doubt. Looks a lot better than the preceding 2 1/2 years.
    the worst may since 1960 i believe

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/us-s...on-mexico.html

what about oil down 19% in may as well ( petrol still going up lol in nz)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/us-b...ion-fears.html
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Your share portfolio is higher than 2.5 yrs ago....ok...so far ''trumps gifts'' have worked...what about ''Trumps bluffs''?